Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > DC: Laugh-Out-Loud Funny

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Books that made you chuckle, books that made you giggle, books that had you burst out laughing, and then you looked around, hoping nobody had noticed.

Share books that had tickled your funny bone, or made you grin like an idiot while you are reading.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 16, 2009 05:32AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm going to start with Susan Elizabeth Phillip's books. The last one I read was Natural Born Charmer. It's first two chapters had me laughing like a loon.

The heroine in a beaver suit walking down the road and the preceding scenes were just outrageously hilarious.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne There are some one liners in the Dark Hunter Books that are absolutely hysterical, one from sunshine and talons book about a well hung man and being wall to wall comes to mind as a first:: will need to look through or better still write them down when i find myself bent up double from laughter with tears running down my cheeks:: or maybe i'm just a sad person who doesn't get to laugh very much Ha Ha

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series never fails to make me laugh... out loud... which in turn makes me feel a little silly...

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Nichole Wrote: "Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series never fails to make me laugh... out loud"

I second that Nichole. Nix is hysterical!

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Shazzy wrote: "Janet Evanovich, her Stephanie Plum series is hilarious. [b:To the Nines Stephanie Plum No. 9|40331|To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9)|Janet Evanovich|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169......"

I want to second Janet Evanovich!! Her books are too funny. I try not to read them in public because I laugh out loud for the most part.

I also want to give a vote to Katie Macalister.. her books always make me laugh pretty hard. I think the funniest so far was her Aisling Grey series, but her Dark Ones books come in second!!!

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Lori wrote: "Nichole Wrote: "Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series never fails to make me laugh... out loud"

I second that Nichole. Nix is hysterical!"

I will definitely second on Nix. She is one crazy Valkyrie. I've heard that she is going to go visit the Lords of the Underwold from Gena Showalter's books. Sounds like chaos to me...LOL.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) Yz wrote: "Lori wrote: "Nichole Wrote: "Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series never fails to make me laugh... out loud"

I second that Nichole. Nix is hysterical!"

I will definitely second on Nix..."

Who doesn't love Nuckin'Futs Nix? She is the best.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) I agree with Nix's Mike Rowe obsession (but, mind you, so does my very hetro male flatmate)...

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) Mike Rowe is definately easy on the eyes. Nix has good taste.

message 11: by Christel (new)

Christel (christelc) | 72 comments Nuckin Futs nix is the Queen!!!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'll admit, I had to google him. I had no idea who that was. The pix I saw didn't really do much for me... maybe I'm too young. Or maybe he has a certain flair that only comes across in action?

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I think what makes Mike Rowe so appealing is his personality. He is hysterical on his show Dirty Jobs. He's attractive but not in a "I gotta get me some of that" kind of way.

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) Lori wrote: "I think what makes Mike Rowe so appealing is his personality. He is hysterical on his show Dirty Jobs. He's attractive but not in a "I gotta get me some of that" kind of way. "

I agree Lori, he has that rugged guy look, and yes his personality is what completes his look.

message 15: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments One of Linda Howard's earlier books 'Mr Perfect' had me in stitches from beginning to end. In fact, a lot of her earlier books I found quite funny, but most especially that one.

message 16: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) I agree Nucking Futs Nix is fantastic!

message 17: by Varsha (new)

Varsha | 9 comments Julia Quinn's to-catch-an-heiress is another funny book... try it guys

message 18: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ The Cajun Series by Sandra Hill is pretty funny.

message 19: by Julianna (last edited May 11, 2009 05:29PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1759 comments Sandra Hill is great for a laugh. I really enjoyed the first three books in her Viking II series especially the 11 kids in The Very Virile Viking.

I recently finished Dara Joy's Tonight or Never which had me cracking up.

Jacquie D'Alessandro's The Bride Thief is pretty funny too.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) There were bits with young Clay in Men of the Otherworld that definitely had me laughing out loud. I also find this is often the case with Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series and Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels series. Brilliant!

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ielfling) I only just discovered Jennifer Crusie this year and have had a great time working through her earlier novels. Welcome to Temptation was a great Crusie to start with - funny dialogue, smart writing and hot romance!

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I've read only one book by Sandra Hill, Love Potion, the first book in her Cajun series, and I have to agree she writes them funny. Will definitely check out more of her books.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1245 comments These come to mind immediately:

Meg Cabot's Boy series (3 books)
Louise Rennison's Georgia Nichols series (9 books so far)
Lisa Lutz's Spellman series (3 books so far)
Joan Hess' Maggody mystery series (15 books)
Anything by Trisha Ashley

Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella
Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane
The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty

message 24: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Danielle wrote: "I only just discovered Jennifer Crusie this year and have had a great time working through her earlier novels. Welcome to Temptation was a great Crusie to start with - funny dialogue, ..."

My favourite Jennifer Crusie novel is Bet Me. I found it funny and sweet, although I think her earlier stuff is a lot funnier than her more recent stuff :)

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ielfling) Just reading that one now, bookmooched from Germany (!) and it arrived with it's own glass bead bookmark! I love bookmoochers...

message 26: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments from Germany! I love it!! how far through the book are you? I love the Elvis Presley/Elvis Costello thing - it's a hoot. Needless to say I side with Cal and my fav Costello song is 'The angels want to wear my red shoes' heh

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey The Dresdan Files - no matter how serious some situations - never fail to crack me up. Harry Dresdan's character just kills me sometimes.

message 28: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 127 comments I thought nice girls dont have fangs was very funny

message 29: by gina~* (new)

gina~* | 125 comments Between the Bridge and the River- Craig Ferguson

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell-Tucker Max

Mistress-Amanda Quick

My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands-Chelsea Handler

To Catch an Heiress- Julia Quinn

I don't like reading books that do not make me giggle so heres a few I really enjoyed. :)

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) Jill Barnett - Just a kiss away LOL funny
Kasey Michaels - The Butler Did It and The Kissing game very good.

message 31: by Mikki Crisostomo (last edited Jun 27, 2009 12:44AM) (new)

Mikki Crisostomo Loretta Chase's Mr. Impossible is one of the funniest books I've read. The hero is hilarious!

The Rules of Gentility by Janet Mullany is also a pretty fun read. A bit ridiculous but I laughed a lot. :D

Also, a lot of Georgette Heyer books have made be guffaw like an idiot in public, but it's probably only because I love the language of her books.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 27, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

LOL - I am re-reading Mr. Impossible right now. I re-read Mr. Perfect last month. Loretta Chase is a brilliant historical romance writer and she creates such wonderful characters!

Here Kitty, Kitty by Shelly Laurenston is the funniest shifter novel I've ever read. Though sold as erotic romance, I'd say it was more steamy mainstream. Laurenston also writes as G. A. Aiken and her About a Dragon is a treat. True fantasy with sex, but again more mainstream steamy.

I just finished a re-publication of a book by Toni McGee Causey, Charmed and Dangerous, formerly published as Bobbie Fay's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day. It had me in stitches. Like earlier Janet Evanovich, who's recent books are lame.

I notice someone mentioned 'Mistress' by Amanda Quick, another good book. To Catch and Heiress is good, and my favorite Jennifer Crusie is Getting Rid of Bradely. I loved her Agnes and the Hitman, written with Bob Mayer, though it took a big of time to get in the proper mood.

The is a new series out there in the, I guess it would be romantic suspense class, the Bombay Assassins. Leslie Langtry has three books so far and her first two were my favorites, Guns Will Keep us Together and 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy. Tongue in cheek, they're called 'The Greatest Hits' romances.

I also liked Jana DeLeon's Trouble in Mudbug, the first of her Ghost-in-law series.

Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sands got me started on her Argeneau series. I love Accidental Vampire and Bite Me if You Can. The series started turning darker and she's sort of lost me as a fan with her recent books in the Rogue Hunters series.

message 33: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3656 comments Has anyone read MaryJanice Davidson's, Fred the mermaid series? I just finished the first one - Sleeping with the Fishes and cracked up laughing right at the beginning and through most of the book. Very funny indeed!

message 34: by NatalyaVqs (new)

NatalyaVqs The Selkirks by Eden Hughes and Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk had me laughing outloud, both one off novels for these authors

message 35: by Lotte_ladybird (new)

Lotte_ladybird I have to say Janet Evanovich too. I always read on the bus going to and from work and whenever I read a Plum book I have to bite my tongue so I won't laugh out loud.. though I have been caught giggling several times :)
Also "Faking It" by Jennifer Crusie always makes me laugh - my favourite book. I have read it tons of times and it still makes me laugh

message 36: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited Oct 24, 2009 07:59PM) (new)

FlibBityFLooB I *love* funny books... I think most people have already mentioned mine, but I'll post ones that I really like anyway :)

Stephanie Plum series (as others have mentioned)
Anything by Katie MacAlister
Stephanie Rowe's Immortally Sexy series
Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella
Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Queen Besty series by MaryJanice Davidson
Jennifer Crusie

I actually have a list of parnormal humorous books that I started to find more books that would make me laugh :)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3246.Humorous_Paranormal_Books

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Last night I read a line that made me laugh out loud. It is not the funniest line ever written, but something about it made me laugh.

In Dead Until Dark by Charlainne Harris, Sookie Stackhouse is going out with the vampire Bill to a bar. Her grandmother tells them as they are leaving, "Don't drink too much." I wasn't sure if she was talking to the vampire or Sookie. It's pretty funny if the target is Bill.

message 38: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments Barbsis wrote: "Has anyone read MaryJanice Davidson's, Fred the mermaid series? I just finished the first one - Sleeping with the Fishes and cracked up laughing right at the beginning and through mo..."

I finished Sleeping With The Fishes just last night, and yes, it had me laughing from the first page too :)

message 39: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 394 comments Wow, I just saw this thread and I can think of 2 books which I found extremely funny.

The Secret by Julie Garwood; especially the scene in the church when the minister is in a hurry because it's hot, and he has a dead body he has to get to.

There's also an especially funny scene in Fantasy in Death by J.D. Robb at the beginning of chapter 5. Peabody is being introspective about the case and how it relates to a certain part of the male anatomy. I still laugh when I listen to the audio!!

message 40: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Anything by Shelly Laurenston makes me laugh. Her characters are so over the top.

message 41: by colleen (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire is awesomely funny. It's on my "reread when I need a laugh" list. Also on that list is Single White Vampire.

message 42: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Definitely Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series, those always have me laughing! Also Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie.

All Carl Hiaasen novels too. Mostly because I lived in Florida for 35 years, and know all the places his books reference and get his inside jokes. His side characters are usually very colorful.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1245 comments I have to add Molly Harper and her Jane Jameson series to the list of laugh out loud books.
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellelisa) | 65 comments The Countess (Madison Sisters, #1) by Lynsay Sands was so funny..loved the part where the sisters were deciding what to do with one of their dead husbands.The husband was an a** and one sister kicked him,dropped the body multiple times and put him on ice!!

NocturnalRavings(Jodie) (mistrissmoon) | 269 comments Definitely the Jane Jameson series!

The Dragon Kin series by G.A. Aiken

starting with Dragon Actually
It's funny,though there's lots of violence and blood,so if you're squimish,might not want to read it.

Most of Catherine Coulter's books are funny.

For those who read graphic novels,I Love Him to Pieces was hilarious!

message 46: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (goodloek) tangled by Emma chase

message 47: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Not a romance at all, but Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern is one of the funniest books I ever listened to.

message 48: by Julie021 (new)

Julie021 | 1 comments R. L Mathewson - Neighbor from hell serie (Especially the first one)
Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum serie
Belle Aurora - Friend-zoned serie (Especially the first one)
I love Julia Quinn's Books (Loved the Bridgertons
Emma Chase - Tangled
Alice Clayton - Wallbanger has some pretty good moments too

message 49: by Anna- Maria (new)

Anna- Maria Butucescu | 6 comments Zack Love's new Hot release, Sex in the Title is the best romantic comedy i've read in a really long time! it has it all! it's funny but clever, witty, well thought out and wonderfully delivered. Couldn't put it down. Check it out, it definitely is a MUST read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen (krudy) Mimi Strong writes" Peaches Malone " series ,Stardust, Star Bright, and Star? I laughed so hard that tears ran down my legs! Plus sized pretty small town book store manager has so much fun with 1. Movie Star 2. male model, former high school crush,and assorted club friends. Her sarcasm and wit are side splitting. The sex is very fun and sometimes not taken seriously, if that means fun. I loved Alice Clayton and Wallbanger as well.

« previous 1