Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Help me find a reincarnation romance for my mom!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (rednikki) | 31 comments My mom's birthday is this week. She is, by and large, a shut-in, and she loves to read. She complains there is nothing good out lately, and asked me to find books for her. And so, I turn to all of you!

My mom's favorite books are Green Darkness, The Nonsuch Lure, Replay, and she loved the movie Somewhere in Time. In general, she loves things that are romantic, with an element of reincarnation (especially) or time travel. But it also has to have some sort of tragic element, or she won't read it. (And it has to have a happy ending. But a tragic element! No, she's not picky AT ALL.) AND, if it is overtly labeled a "romance," she won't read it, because to her they are all the stereotypical Harlequins from the '60s.

So! With that in mind, any recommendations?

(She also likes historicals about scientists or doctors with a romantic elemennt. Not something that really fits this group, but I thought I'd throw it out there.)

message 2: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (linneasinclair) | 96 comments I'd look at the LUNA line, with authors like Robin D Owens, who has her Guardian series there:Guardian Of Honor. That's time travel/alternate universe as here "here and now" heroines get drawn back to an alternate medeival civilization.

Mercedes Lackey and Catherine Asaro also write for LUNA.
http://www.eharlequin.com/store.html?...
is their list of books.

They're not romances but they have a strong romantic element and can be bittersweet. You might find something with a reincarnation theme or time travel theme in there.

PC Cast's Divine By Blood might work.

The other publisher I'd look at is Juno, who was just bought by a big NY house:http://www.juno-books.com/

They have some cutting edge stuff.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I'd recommend A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Devereaux. It is a romance, but there's a time travel aspect to it. It's one of the first romances I ever read, and I loved it.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Has she read Outlander? I've only read the first in this series but it was pretty good. It's a time travel, historical, highlander romance.

message 5: by Anya (new)

Anya Becker | 12 comments Karen Marie Moning wrote the Highlander Series ... it deals with Time travel...

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Quinn (erin_quinn) | 45 comments Nicole wrote: "My mom's birthday is this week. She is, by and large, a shut-in, and she loves to read. She complains there is nothing good out lately, and asked me to find books for her. And so, I turn to all of ..."

Nicole, my second book, ECHOES, is a reincarnation romance . Send me an email (write2erinquinn at aol.com) I'll send you an autographed copy just cuz it's for your mom's birthday. :-)

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (rednikki) | 31 comments Thank you all so much for the recommendations! And Erin, thank you for the very generous offer!

My mom has read both Knight in Shining Armor and Outlander and loves them both. So those were spot-on. I am going to compile the rest for her. Thank you again!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Quinn (erin_quinn) | 45 comments You are welcome, Nicole. I put it in the mail yesterday. :-)

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (rednikki) | 31 comments Jennifer,

Thank you! I'm sorry, somehow I missed this when it came through. I will absolutely tell her about this book!

message 10: by Chasidy (last edited Apr 18, 2009 07:23PM) (new)

Chasidy Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 20 comments Eternal Nights by Patti O'Shea. Has a slight sci-fi twist to it (they're on another planet) and is technically a sequel to Ravyn's Flight but I think it stands alone just fine.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (rednikki) | 31 comments Thank you, Chasidy! Maureen, my mom is a sci-fi fan, so that may really work for her!

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Nicole, if she likes reincarnation, a must read is M. J. Rose's The Reincarnationist, The Memorist, and The Hypnotist.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I would recommend Blue Bells of Scotlandand especially if she likes the Scotland background. I love Outlander and was glad to see this is not a copycat of Outlander. It is the first of a series not yet published but I didn't even know that when I read it so it does not leave you hanging. It's a story of a man from the present who is switched in time with a man from the past who looks just like him. I really liked it. There are several books with this name so be sure the author is the same.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Assassin's Heart by Monica Burns is heavy on the reincarnation. It is, however, the second in a series and the first book doesn't have this element.

message 16: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) I recommend A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery #16).
It was a great reincarnation romance.

A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery #16)  by Jude Deveraux

message 17: by Sondrae (new)

Sondrae Bennett | 32 comments Would your mom get offended by explicit love scenes?

Ishe doesn't mind more explicit scenes, I recommend Awaken, My Love by Robin Schone. It might be too close to a romance for her though and, as I mentioned, doesn't pull any punches from what I can remember.

message 18: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments There's an older series of books dealing with the protagonist's reincarnations through several lifetimes. The first one is Winged Pharaoh by Joan Grant . The series is by Joan Grant. It may be out of print.

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments Juliet by Anne Fortier, and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. Ancestral memory than reincarnation, but both but the lots of tragedy with a happy ending romance requirement. Happy birthday to your mum.