Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) Me Before You question

Will Traynor's decision
Sheila Trask Sheila Jan 29, 2013 11:14AM
I just finished this and it's the first book to make me cry in a long time. This just has to be made into a movie!

I keep wondering about Will's choice: to live as a quadriplegic or die a dignified death.

Do you think Moyes made the right choice with her ending?

After the prologue and the first chapter, I knew what awaits me at the end of the book. If I was in Will's shoes, and was not bound by religious values, I may have perhaps chose that path. And because of this notion, I don't quite get why some reviews claimed that it wasn't an ending that they had expected. Because I had expected nothing less of that ending.

We got a glimpsed of Will's perspective in the prologue. Lou, Nathan, Camilla, and Steven helped shaped Will's character. I learnt so much about him through their eyes; his personality, his dark humour, his discomfort, his pain. Just like Lou and the rest, I thought I knew him and knew what would be best for him. However, just like Lou, I will never truly know him, and will never truly understand his pain and his decisions. Which was perhaps why, Moyes had limited Will's pov to just the prologue. I think she had leave out Will's pov on purpose. So that we won't know how he thinks and feels. To emphasize that we, including Lou, can never understand Will and the choices he choose, until we are caught in that same situation.

First, I want to say I'm not a native English speaker. I understand you very well, but I don't speak or write very well. So forgive all of my mistakes, but feel free to point them to me, that would help me a lot. =)

Well, I had to say something about this book, and Will's decision... I loved the book, but the ending... I hated it! I think it has a terrible message.

I was born with a neurological desease called spinal atrophy. And I was almost "normal" until I was 11. Today I'm on a wheelchair and I can barely use my arms... Of course, I'm still on a better position than Will... But one day I'll be just like him, because my desease gets worse with time. My point is, if you asked me before I started to use a wheelchair how I would feel if I was in the position I am today, I would say to you that I would rather be dead. Today I don't feel like this anymore. Of course, this isn't the life I used to dream about, but I learned to find happiness in it. Even though is not perfect and I have a lot of complications, I like being alive... In fact, how many people in the world can say they are living the life they dreamed about? We all have difficulties, and not everything goes the way we planned and we have to learn how to live with it, that's the unfortunate reality of life!

Will giving up on his life just because it wasn't the say he used to expect it to be, was such a sad and terrible message, that I felt the will to rip out the last pages of my book. Besides, he was clearly happy because of Lou. OK, he wouldn't be able to do the things he used to do, but he still could do A LOT of things... Now dead, he can't do anything. And it was a really selfish decision. There was nothing romantic, or beautiful in it. It was coward of his part!

U 25x33
Kali I agree with you but I also agree with Will. I'm not sure I would want to live a life that isn't mine. If my mobility was taken from me, I wouldn't be ...more
Jun 30, 2017 11:42AM

And I forgot to mention that I used to love dancing, and playing volleyball... And I weren't the kind of person, who would sit in a chair to read a book. Today I can't dance or play volleyball and I am a reader. My life changed a lot and so did my dreams, but I still wanna live it the way I can.

I think the ending had to be this way. From the beginning, Will's choice to die was because he lost his ability to live his life the way he liked it - to be active, his job etc etc. It doesn't matter that Lou loves him and he loves her. His choice to die wasn't loss of love, it was loss of himself. Sadly, as much as I hoped he could be with her, I knew that the ending has to be the way it was written.

Anna Grace I totally agree with Diane because to live a life like that where you can't even hold your own child in your arms is so depressing and to live like th ...more
May 22, 2017 02:37AM

The more i think about it, the more it makes sense: will's desicion. He always lived his life by CHOICE. Whether in life or death. Its not to say that suicide is the only answer and maybe if he had given it chance, it may have been for the better. But we read his prologue. He LOVED his life. He could never love his life in the similar manner. It wouldnt be him.
He chose his death like he chose his life.
Through the whole book, we see him teaching Lou to live her life to the fullest, so he could build her up for her adventures later.
He built up her life while he built up his death.
And guys, honestly, this books message is NOT that being disabled should be cause of suicide. Or being in pain for that matter. These are things we learn from. We need pain. It shapes us into people we will one day become.
HOWEVER, in Will cannot learn from his pain and live his life in regret of things only because THATS NOT HIM. He likes having a choice and making his own decisions. No matter what happens he doesn't want to have anyone to blame but himself.
The book has the message to take on ownership. In life or in dead.
Therefore, Jojo's ending MAKES SENSE. so does Will's decision.

(But if it were any other character than Will, i would have debated this longer. He defends himself himself so perfectly that i am unable to an ending FOR HIM. He doesnt like anyone to that anyway)

Sheila wrote: "I just finished this and it's the first book to make me cry in a long time. This just has to be made into a movie!

I keep wondering about Will's choice: to live as a quadriplegic or die a dignifie..."

Sheila wrote: "I just finished this and it's the first book to make me cry in a long time. This just has to be made into a movie!

I keep wondering about Will's choice: to live as a quadriplegic or die a dignifie..."

Yes of course the ending was right, what other choice was there? Yes she could have written a love conquers all ending but that wouldn't have been true to the character of Will Traynor.

To continue living would have been worse for him than life before he met her. He said he wanted a physical relationship with her and that could never be. Living would have meant having to deal everyday with the knowledge that he could never love her the way he wanted. It would be one more thing that he had lost. Then there is the fact that he would always feel like a burden on her, holding her back, stopping her doing all the things he knew she would enjoy.

It was a love story and what greater expression of love can there be than to give up your life in order for the one you love to have the life she deserves?

Wow... I have to say I'm really shocked with how people react to this ending. I think it sends a horrible message! And I'm not talking about somebody's choice to die - I think people should have the right to make that choice because I believe in individual freedom. But I also think that on a moral level it is an extremely difficult matter. The message the author delivered with this ending - about life, about love, about pretty much everything that defines us as humans - was absolutely horrible.

People saying it was brave of Will to go through with it, or romantic or even that it was an expression of love for him to die so he wouldn't burden her and she could live big with his money... Wow... just wow... I can't even find the words how... It stuns me... Deeply disturbing...

I don't need a love-conquers-all happily ever after. Quite on the contrary, love doesn't conquer all - but the message should be that even despite that we can live, we can try to be happy and we can actually be grateful for what we have. And not die because we just used to love having lots of sex and jumping off buildings and if we can't do that, well then life's not really worth it anyway. Better die and let someone else use all that money to live an awesome life...
I'm sorry, but that is just too disturbing for me.
(The fact that I read a number of one-star-reviews of people saying that they are living or know people who are living with severe disabilities and found this to be insulting is confirmation to me of that feeling I have about the ending).

I think people should think hard about what that ending tells us and whether that is really an ethical view we want predominant in society - the view that there is life worth living and life not worth living?

Oh my goodness, I loved this book. Gives two sides to a very hard decision. I laughed at the banter back and forth and used up 1/2 box of kleenex near the end. Loved that he took care of her as well. So now Jojo Moyes is on my list of authors to read more of.

I think the ending was right - though I sobbed too. It's the ending I'd want for me in that position. I actually have a friend whose 24 year old son was paralysed from the neck down in a sporting accident. He spent a few years being looked after 24/7 - couldn't do anything for himself at all. Couldnt' breathe unaided at first. His mum fought so hard for him to have everything he needed. But during an operation he died. I kept thinking - how would I have felt if that had been son? It's a cruel world sometimes. I applaud Moyes for tackling this. It's not a book I would have chosen because I really don't like sad books, but this one needs to be read.

Truth be told, this book moved me in ways I never thought possible. It gave me a completely different out look but also made me realize that just because a decision is open to you doesn't mean its the best decision. I feel like Will's decision was both good and selfish. Instead of being selfless, he decided to go ahead and off himself and decided to ask his family to go with him. I can understand that but what was he thinking? Thats a decision they'll have to live with for the rest of their lives while he slumbers away in a peaceful death. I completely understand his decsion but I just don't agree with it.

It broke my heart, for me I would love to see him alive and if I'm in Louisa Clark shoe I'll hate the fact that he chooses not to live with his current situation. I believe in love I believe in family I believe in having great things in life like parents and a lover can make life much easier for Will's current situation as the car accident has changed his life 180 degrees but why he still chooses the easy way? to end his life? leaving all the beloved one's behind. I think it's selfish, although I'm fully aware that this is his choice and every one should respect that but ending your life is never easy. Loved the book!

hi , so after a long time I finally read the book , I think that you know that sometimes no matter how good of a person you are you might not get a happy ending you know ? Lou is a happy girl who believes, she's an optimist , she believes in happy endings , Will , he's a realist , he didn't want to be there , he doesn't want to believe that his life went from doing everything and anything, to being fed. He wasn't going to change his mind because a girl can make him FEEL happy , you can try and be as happy as you want but sometimes , you just want to get up and run towards the sunset. Lou was a metaphor , to me she makes it possible that even when you feel like you can't do anything, you can do everything. In the first part , in wills POV , he is in pain, physical pain, and snow nothing can stop that kind of pain, not even love. I honestly have mixed feelings with the ending, this is the type of book that drives you up a wall only to have you fall down. In the end it's wills choice. I am sad but I can't do anything about it, it was meant to be like this .

If I were Lou I'd say live with the life you have, there are people who love you. That's being selfish like his parents and that is unfair to the person who is living the life we cannot understand. Will made the best decision for himself but boy was I furious with him!

Despite what many leaders of my religion try to preach, I feel that people who are terminally ill should have the right to choose when they die. Not just any old person can say give me the juice doctor but people in Will's case, cancer (like in real life Brittany Maynard) etc. Not many complain when families keep a loved one in a coma on life support "playing God" but when the opposite happens there's a lot of uproar. Let someone die with dignity instead of being in their 20s/30s (any age really) reverting back having a person assist them with everything.

As I started reading and got to the point where Lou finds out why she was hired, I suspected the ending would be what it was but still thinking that I could be wrong. Even the scene at Dignitas made me think that Will was "suddenly' going to change his mind when he saw Lou. As cheesy and not in line with the characters as that would've been, it was still a possibility.

As much as those last five chapters made me sob (not just tear up but a true ugly cry), it was an appropriate ending.

In Will's shoes, I might make the same choice. I have Cerebral Palsy and I am in a wheelchair but I don't require a caregiver and I can walk a few steps if I hold on to something. If something happened to me and I found myself like Will, I don't know that I would want to live. I have always put quality above quantity. That said, I hope that I never have to make the choice.

I work with people who have congenital disabilities and found this book so thought provoking.

I can see how difficult life would be for someone like Will who lived life so fully, to then be so helpless. Illness is a big part of many people's lives. The scene where Lou sleeps, curled up on the bed in an effort to get Will through the night was really scary.

There is a lot of work being done to give people with disability more opportunity in deciding their lives. It is a big gear change for support workers from 'keeping people safe' to letting them have the chance to chose and accomplish and chose and have things go wrong. It's a constant balancing act between Duty of Care and Dignity of Risk.

Will's choice to go to Switzerland was the ultimate expression of Person Centred Practice.

I know will loved Lou but I understand at the same time his decision and why he said no to her cause he wouldn't be happy with her spending her whole life looking after him he didn't want to burden on her and he hated the fact of the wheelchair and not been able to move and having to be spoon fed but he did love Lou and if there was some way that he got better and was the man he was before but not an arse he would of ended up with Lou like he said to her that he can't watch her in annex in her crazy dresses and basically by wanted a physically relationship he couldn't love her the way he wanted

the rights have been purchased for a movie so we will get to see this on the big screen.

This is the book that really wrecked my heart. I was so sad after I finish reading it. The last 50 pages were difficult to absorb, it was so heavy. It was emotional. I was kinda upset with Will's decision, on the other hand, I kinda understand the way he must have felt everyday of his life down the road. Sure there will be days that are delighted and enjoyable but there will be days that's depressing. That's life.
I thought Lou could change his mind. Love conquers all. Why is there Dignitas in the first place. God has a better plan for us, to learn even though it's tough. I strongly disagree with the existence of Dignitas.
This book will stay with me for quite a while. I couldn't sleep after reading it.
I'm definitely looking forward to the movie. Maybe Zoey deschanel as Lou and Sam worthington as Will.
I was thinking of Nick Vujicic when I read this book. About how he handles his life differently from Will.
It's a good book!

Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2016 02:10PM ) Oct 13, 2013 01:45AM   0 votes
I really don't know what to think about the ending. On the one hand I was expecting it, perhaps partly for the reason that otherwise the story would have probably been considered just another work of common chic lit. This way it turned out more controversial etc etc. On the other hand I'm not sure if it's the right thing to not give a more positive option in the end (I'm hesitant to say "to promote suicide, in a way").

For me, personally, these sorts of endings unfortunately do spoil the whole stories that happened before. Even while reading (as much as I wanted a happy ending) I had no idea, though, how the author could have possibly managed to make a happy ending happen without turning everything into what many people would have probably considered a soppy romance (she would have been a genius :). So, I really don't know and the book leaves me with very mixed feelings.

Anyway, if anyone needs some 'real-life consolation' that a story like Will's doesn't have to end in suicide, it reminded me very much of Samuel Koch's, who, basically, has been going through something very similar. Unfortunately most of the information about him is in German (the newspapers here were full of it a few years ago), but I'll attach a link to an interview in English.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/z...

Just thought I should add another link, since this is more lovely news for those who were upset by the book's ending (the translation isn't exactly perfect, but you get the gist :) ):

http://archysde.com/samuel-koch-is-ge...

i loved the concept of freedom to die.
it was right for will to decide for his own but what about Lou? will she live alone with just the company of the memories they had? it's just such a sad way to exist.

The ending made me very sad. And honestly till the end moment I kept my hopes alive that somehow he would change his mind and they would end up a happy couple. However I think I understand why Will decided such an end for himself. I don't know about ethics but going by his "logic", it made a lot of sense. Having said that it is a sad ending and a shocking one too.

Before I express my opinion,The cover of the book seemed misleading though it all made sense later.

This was my first book by Jojo Moyes and I had very little expectations from, though how wrong was I. This book made me laugh and cry. A beautifully woven book whihch targets life and every other element of it.

Coming to Wills decision,it was right on it own. He has the right to his life. Though I always question was he that stubborn that he was not ready to accept change....and Lou..

I kept hoping he would change his mind. I did not like his choice to go ahead with it. His life was starting to have new routes to happiness.. he could have realized some happiness and feelings of success. So many people in his situation have managed to adapt and to live.. definitely with challenges.. but with dynamic lives with purpose and love. I agree with Ela (above) that it sends a poor message about hope and hopelessness. I worked for 30 years in Special Ed in schools and met so many wonderful people with huge physical challenges.. thank God they didn't give it all up like Will does in this book. I think his decision was selfish and short-sighted.

In his shoes-sadly I would have done the same. Some may say its the easy way out-maybe it is, but I get it. To not be able to be the person you want to be? To be physically, mentally bound? It's horrific. And as twisted as this may sound... His decision had a lot to do with Lou.He could n't be the man he needed to be FOR her. Not saying she should n't have made an entrée... Just that this book is fate wrapped together in a beautifully spiced, dynamite chilli tortilla :(

No matter how much a person contemplates whether he/she would make a decision similar to Will's, it would be difficult to say unless the you are in their shoes. We would like to think we would choose life over death or vice versa, but sometimes being the outsider looking in, we see it differently than the person going through it.

But they were beautiful together will and Lou they were meant for eachother will found the right girl at the wrong time and vice versa

While reading this book, I think that I subconsciously knew what Will's decision would be. When I got to the end of the book, I still found it very difficult to read. I had grown attached to the idea of Will and Lou. But, as difficult as it was to read and think about, I understand where Will is coming from. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to have a part of your life that is taken for granted, so quickly taken away. I understand Will's choice, but a huge part of me wish's that the author could have made the book just a little bit unrealistic.
All of that said, I love this book and it's characters. Lou and Will seemed so real, what they felt, I felt. I don't think I have ever read a book so that is so real. As much as I don't like Wills choice, I love this book and it's characters exactly as they are.

I fully expected this book to end with Will taking his life. He felt completely that it was his decision, his quality diminished to a place of unacceptance. But like another reader commented, our viewpoints often change as we live and grow as people...who's to say his might not have as well? It was an excellent piece of thought-provoking fiction, especially considering the reenergized euthanasia discussion in Canada. Personally, I feel anchored by a faith which declares "I am not my own, but belong body and soul to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ"...knowing that whatever pain and suffering there is in this life will be temporary compared to peace-filled life eternal.

I understood will wanting it to end cause he was in pain and not been able to do things for himself I know he loved Lou he didn't have to say he loved her u just knew like him getting her the bumblebee tights and she was scored on his heart etc but it was pain of not been able to do anything for himself that's the reason he wanted to end his life he wanted a physical relationship with Lou but he knew he couldn't he wanted her to live well he didn't want burden to her he wanted to have a life I love the wedding dance part I loved the movie

Joana (last edited Jan 29, 2013 11:44AM ) Jan 29, 2013 11:43AM   0 votes
When I finished this book, I cried too. The storyline was amazing, funny, clever and dramatic at the same time, the characters were well developed and the reality of it was very moving; I think it's a very interesting, though controversial theme.

I personally fear death, so at first when someone actually makes the choice of ending their own life, it shocks me and I can't completely picture such a life that would drive someone to death...But as I read this book, I realized that if I was in Will's shoes, I would probably want the same. Life, in my opinion, isn't only about breathing and having your heart beating, but about a lot of different things that give it meaning. Will had it (he experienced it, knew how it was) and then lost it all.
So even though it was a sad ending, especially because he was perfect for Lou, I think it was the right choice indeed.

Do you?

The ending pained me because I thought their love was genuine, and so very real. I'm very much used to the love conquers all, happily ever after type endings, but this book opened my eyes. Will's decision to end his life was ultimately his choice.The way I see it Will was already dead before he actually died. He knew the life he wanted to live, he went out and he LIVED that life before it all suddenly stopped. Sometimes love won't be able to pass every obstacle. He loved Clark, and although he couldn't live his life to the fullest he wants that for her because he loves her. There's more I could say but I'm still recovering from reading this novel my thoughts are Al over the place.

I was very conflicted by this ending. I understand that this book is showing a different side to living the life of a quadriplegic in how obviously not every story is about overcoming the obstacles of a condition like that. That not just having limited mobility is a problem but the fact that health problems occur from being a quad as well as infections. Something tells me if I was a quadriplegic, I probably wouldn't want to live either. I feel like the book was really leaning towards assisted suicide like propaganda acting like who can blame a quad for wanting to die? But that’s what made the book more heartbreaking to me in that the character of Will meets Louisa and she still isn’t enough to make him want to live. It’s almost like an anti-love story. The truth is that in the book, they never really get together until his last moments. I wish they could have just written the character of Louisa as single instead of having it be a love triangle. The trailer of the film is pretty misleading acting like this is going to be a touching romantic sad story like Fault in Our Stars but if you read the book, you would realize it’s not so much like that. I would feel bad if I was Louisa’s character knowing that I expressed my love for someone and it still wasn’t enough to want them to live.

Even before i started the book, i knew Will will choose to die. The book over too hinted at that. But it doesn't mean that i thought it was completely okay for him to do what he did. I found Will's character a little selfish especially when it comes to Lou, but I think he couldn't help it. Because the one way he knew how to live was to live 'Grand'. And he just couldn't settle for less.
I hurt for Lou. Alot

I adore this book! It wasn't my idea of a happy ending but totally think it was the right way to do it. I wouldn't have been a true happy ending for will if he had decided to live. Yes Lou made him happy, but he could have never lived the way he wanted to. I agree it would make an amazing movie :) a movie Kleenex would make a fortune from!

I read this book after reading 50 shades so I thought it was another one of 'those' books...how wrong I was! I cannot tell you how much I loved this book, I sobbed for hours after I even feel sad now thinking about it and I read this book over 6 months ago. It truely is a love story.

I really wanted it to be a happy ending where they went off into the sunset, but in a way it was a happy ending as Will got the ending he longed for and Lou finally found herself and Will set her up for life and made her dreams come true long after he had gone. It has changed my mind about the topic uthenasia and made me think what would I want to do if I was in that situation. I definately would do the same as Will. I know this was a fictional story but there was a similar story in the papers a while back about a young guy who was a rugby player who was injured and he wanted to end his life. It must be awful to go from being a healthy outgoing guy to not being able to do anything for yourself.

I loved this book, it was thought provoking and will stay with me forever.

Will already accepted his fate, he'd reach the 5th stage of grief..."acceptance":_(

So many able bodies people saying that they totally understand Will's choice and that it was right for him because obviously his life is not worth living because he's disabled. It's actually pretty sickening to be honest, that so many people seem to value the lives of the disabled to much less than the lives of the able bodied, to the point that the vast majority of the people here think this ending was the best thing for Will. They think the best thing for disabled people is to kill themselves. So many of the replies here just disgust me.

I finished this book two days ago yet I still can't get it off of my mind. I sobbed uncontrollably during the last few pages and I hate to admit it but I, too, expected Will to change his mind even during his last few moments with Lou. I didn't want to admit that I expected what was going to happen and once I actually read it in words, it left me contemplating it for too long. I respected Will's decision yet it was his witty and loving character even during his last moments that seriously played a toll on me. I think Moyes took a risk with this ending but I truly respect it because of the suffering Will had to endure, even if we couldn't fully grasp how difficult it really was for him.

Tanima (last edited Sep 11, 2013 08:43PM ) Sep 07, 2013 07:51AM   0 votes
At the beginning, Will's stubbornness really irked me- I couldn't understand WHY he would selfishly throw away the rest of his life.

But, when I put myself in his shoes, I realized that life would be really miserable. I couldn't imagine not being able to do almost everything by yourself, except speak and exist. It would be torturous!

I'm satisfied with Will's decision, because honestly regardless of how lovely his life probably would have been with Louisa, I couldn't imagine him being much happier knowing that he was really just shadowing her from all the exciting things his own life once was; it wouldn't be fair to her. Will was too charming and adventurous to be in that kind of physical gridlock for the rest of his life, and towards the end it was refreshing knowing he got the peace he was searching for because he definitely deserved at least that much for everything that he had to endure to get to that point. I sympathized with him, but it still breaks my heart to imagine the kinds of internal struggles he must have went through to reach that state of mind.

I loved this book couldn't put it down. I think the decision especially with Will's personality and his life style before his accident was the right choice. The idea that all you need is love is one that is really tested here although you never hear i love you form will i do believe he loved Lou. Anyway i believe Moyers made the completely right choice with the ending Will would never have been happy with how his life ended up. Amazing book, amazingly sad ending loved it.

It has been a while since I last read this book. I absolutely loved 'Me Before You' and devoured chunks of it where I could.

Even though I subconsciously knew Will would still choose to die in the end I was still surprised when he chose to do so. I was so emotionally invested in Will's and Lou's relationship that to find out they would have to part meant I felt devstated for them. However I think Will, and Jojo Moyes, made the right decision: for Will to have once lived so active a life and the always being aware of his limitations - I can see why he made the decision he did in the end.

I loved this book and it is only the second book to make me cry. I was worried that the author was going to go down the happy ever after ending with this book (as with many books)and I was adamant that I wanted Will to stick with his decision. I felt that if this was me then I want the option to make me own choice and that others would respect and understand my decision. Amazing book and I will be recommending to others and reading more of JoJo Moyes.

I can't say when the last time a book resonated so deeply. The whole way through I was hoping Lou would succeed in changing Will's mind, but I knew I wasn't going to get that lucky. I appreciated that Moyes didn't make the story about assisted suicide being a right or wrong choice. We got to see how Will's parents felt, how Lou's parents felt. Opinions were represented but no one was right or wrong. I had a friend who had fibromyalgia (over 15 years ago), who chose and assisted death. I had no idea he was even suffering so much and his passing was devastating. I will always wish he would have allowed me to say goodbye. My eldest brother and I had a packed that we would never leave the other in diminished capacity. That if our life relied on machines, we would fight to let the other go. But when he was diagnosed with cancer, he fought so hard to live. He was a very physical person and the treatment was destroying his body. If he had survived he would have very likely been blind and been very physically limited. But he was not ready to leave this world. Sometimes what we think we want can change when faced with the reality. This book for me captured all of those conflicts and emotions. I hope the movie truly does justice to the story!

** SPOLIER ALERT ** I figured I should put that there just in case. Just today I made this review but hid it in case there was a spoiler, personally I don't think there is but just in case. This book is very controversial to some people. It depends on how you interpret it. In no means am I telling anyone how to feel about this book, I'm just expressing some thoughts. Personally, I love the book and the movie, I watched the movie first and then read the book which is not how I like to do it but whatever. You know what it is about so I won't explain it for you, Will is disabled and Louisa gets hired to basically watch over him. Will use to be the guy who traveled anywhere and everywhere, had his fabulous girlfriend, until he got in an accident and became paralyzed from the neck down. This is where us readers start to go in one of two directions, because he can't do anything that he used to do he becomes very unhappy with his life. One direction people go in is that they think it puts a negative message out that if you are disabled that you will be unhappy and people get mad because why would a book put this out there and not let Will learn to accept who he is and end up happy. The other direction is how I perceived it, not every story has a happy ending. This makes me sound crazy and messed up, and trust me I do wish that he had that. But I think it is so realistic. Like of course there are going to be people who love their life and who can make it through and learn to love themselves again. But what about the people that struggle with that? What if this book tells someone that they aren't alone in how they're feeling? Of course I'm not trying to say that I want someone to go off and be depressed and dwell on something they had no control over. I'm just thinking that maybe this book will tell someone they aren't alone and that it is okay to feel what they are feeling. Not every story has to have the same outcome. I don't want to sound like a terrible person by saying that he was right to do what he did, but I do think it is the case for some people not even just the disabled, but the depressed although the disabled person may be depressed.

I believe the author made the right choice in ending...but somehow I am desolated that he didn't fight harder to share more moments with Lou. Though, I can't imagine what he must have felt, there was a part of me that believed he was selfish in calling her back to him for the final day. That part did not sit well with me.

I'm still stuck in a rut about the ending. It's been over an hour since I finished reading the epilogue and I simply can not will the story and its consequences out of my mind.

Setting aside the fact that my religion bindings forbid any form of euthanasia, I did not expect Will to be 'cured' by Lou. I knew that was impossible, given the situation and the pain he was in, which the author stressed over and over again.
But I never predicted he'd end it so easily either. It caught me in a trance at first, when I read the words "Mr and Mrs.Traynor separated after their son's death". Even at the last of the moments, I was grasping to hope, little hope, that he would not do it. I failed to notice all the contraptions Moyes had set out to give us clues that Will would choose no other.

It was heartbreaking. Very heartbreaking, and like most here, it took me a good hour to reassemble my insides and become able enough to think about and analyse the ending properly.
Will would not have--could not have--had it any other way. It was pushed into our faces, the fact that we simply can not understand his situation. Even the author had little idea of the intrinsics of a C5/6 quadriplegic (hence we got to see little of what lurked around in Will's mind, as stated by a keen member above here somewhere). We could only see his brief, humanoid emotions surfacing from the little pleasures of life. It was given out plain as a cloudless day: he would never have found true happiness, not even with Lou.

What he had was much too grand to make do as a living memory in comparison to what he was reduced to. I can't say for sure if I'd have made the same choice if I were in his shoes, considering I can't imagine his state, but I can say that I understand why it's not truly a dismay to find out why he decided what he decided.

This was not only a perfect, realistic and completely believable love story, it was a perfect, realistic, completely believable everything.

To be honest the ending made me very sad. I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic and I love the idea that love conquers all (I'll just give everyone reading this a moment to stop cringing).

I loved the book and although I think the ending was perhaps more realistic, I can't wrap my head around Will's decision. Obviously it's easy for me to say this, I don't spend my life in discomfort unable to do any of the things I love, but to me Will's death almost seemed out of character.

He's a believer in making the most of life, depression clouded that but falling in love, it seemed, almost began to lift that haze. He was enjoying life again, the best 6 months of his life. The optimistic part of me still thought towards the end that he would use his brains and his determination to live a good and long life, to experience all that he can, with his sense of entitlement he would, quite rightly, make the world adapt to him and people like him, make more places accommodate his needs, desensitize people until they don't stare in public, force research into more effective pain relieving drugs, antibiotics and physio to make his and those who succeeds him, lives easier. He didn't seem like the type of man to shy away from a challenge and if that challenge is making Louisa happy I thought he would have done everything to make it happen.

Kacey (last edited Jul 31, 2013 07:27AM ) Jul 31, 2013 07:25AM   0 votes
I think Ms Moyes made the right choice for the book's ending. Well, the story has to end somehow, and I think that a happily ever after ending wasn't to be expected from the beginning. And for a book to be good, I believe such an ending is indeed a right choice. It made us stop to think about life and its choices - well, at least it did make me think about my life.

However, what I don't understand is Will's thoughts or his own choices, which was probably the reason why Ms Moyes didn't include his POV in the book.

I have been debating with myself over the fact that he had told Lou to live her life fully, yet he was the one who ended his, so rather abruptly. It was an irony, because he felt that he couldn't do anything, yet he could very well do everything with his life, just that it wouldn't be the way he wanted to live.

So I can't say if I agreed with his choice. I wasn't able to answer it then when I finished the book, and I am still not able to answer it now. Because, I am not him, so I will never truly understand how he felt at all.

But still, this is the best book ever! I am rereading it again!

will should never die.i still hope they somehow bring him back alive in a third book and a movie sequel

This was one of my favorite reads from 2012! I absolutely believe that Moyes made the right choice with the ending... Even though I wish Lou and Will could have been together forever, Moyes couldn't really have made the ending any different, it would have taken so much meaning out of the story (if that makes sense?).

I was so into this book that when I got to the last third of the book I asked my husband to stay away while I finished it because I knew the ending was going to be emotional and I wanted time to think it through after I had finished it. I've never cried so much reading a book as I did with this one!

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Me Before You (other topics)