Goodreads Feedback discussion

Aaron Cometbus
This topic is about Aaron Cometbus
Bugs > how/why did Cometbus issues disappear?!?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 10thumbs (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments I had 5 issues of Cometbus on my read shelf and they recently (in the last 3-5 days) seem to be deleted from Goodreads.

1. Any reason(s) why?

(These are just as much 'books' as the many e-books I've seen listed on the site. They're usually 60-80 pages each. Some might call them zines, but they are almost as much novellas IMO.)

2. Any way for me to retrieve the read dates from my account (just for my edification/offline records)?

- Mark

message 2: by 10thumbs (last edited Jan 29, 2013 07:22AM) (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments Looking a little further it appears that Cometbus #54 ("In China With Green Day") got swapped out for "8 out of 10 days", an older collection of stories.

I know at least issues #47-54 *were* in GR (and on my READ shelf ;-) )and have since disappeared.

message 3: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11842 comments Mod
Zines are not books.

message 4: by 10thumbs (last edited Jan 29, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments rivka wrote: "Zines are not books."

Hmmm. OK. I guess I'd agree for the most part, but Cometbus — I think most readers would agree — is a bit of different animal.

Like I said, especially his more recent work (Issue #47 and on...) are much more novellas.

Is there something/somewhere on GR that defines what's a book and what's a zine or magazine? Why is an e-book of 70 pages more of a book than a so-called zine that's 70 pages with multiple chapters?

I'm curious what the difference between Cometbus and, say, McSweeney's Quarterly Concern ... outside of reputation. Cometbus has been publishing for much longer, with more issues than McSweeney's.

message 5: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 585 comments "Policy", as I understand, is that periodicals are not included on GoodReads.

I think if it has an ISBN, it indisputably belongs on GR, but if it doesn't it gets murky.

I'm not surprised if many of these have been categorized as "NOT A BOOK" (the librarians actually put that as the author name to remove them), but I equally think McSweeeney's generally shouldn't be. You'll note, though, that all of the McSweeney's and Cometbus entries currently on GR have an ISBN (though the one actually listed as "Cometbus" looks like it should really be titled "8 out of 10 days").

message 6: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 585 comments I do find it a little distressing that it appears that when you change details about a book, those changes have an "undo" option, but if somebody deletes an edition, there is no undo. What's the recourse if an edition is removed incorrectly?

message 7: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11842 comments Mod
There isn't one, other than re-adding a book. It's a limitation of how the database stores book records.

message 8: by D.A. • shelf! Shelf! SHELF! (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:53AM) (new)

D.A. • shelf! Shelf! SHELF! | 3646 comments I'm completely unfamiliar with the Cometbus stuff; but if it helps anyone the not a book policy section is at http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/11... --

Actually, I'm personally not getting involved on magazine, online only fan fiction and online zine issues because I am honestly not clear on policies. (I have been corrected in librarians group when I thought online only stories, fan fiction or blog posts/articles with no way to download as a file or ebook did not belong on goodreads and when I thought that magazines with isbns, while librarians weren't going out of their way to add, were allowed if a member added) — it's not really clear to me so I have no clue where cometbus fits in with any of that except that what Rivka says is the official word.

message 9: by 10thumbs (last edited Jan 30, 2013 11:55AM) (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments Thanks Debbie.

FWIW, reading through the guidelines at least a handful of the now-deleted Cometbus should not have been since they meet the following THESE ITEMS ARE BOOKS criteria:

* periodicals without ISBNs but substantially similar to books (eg, perfectbound literary magazines)

I guess I'll read through the criteria again and re-add the Cometbuses following the criteria

message 10: by 10thumbs (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments To repeat my 2nd question in the OP:

2. Any way for me to retrieve the read dates from my account (just for my edification/offline records)?

(I'm just bummed b/c I had written reviews and listed start/end dates that will otherwise just be gone now...)

message 11: by 10thumbs (new)

10thumbs | 6 comments Debbie wrote: "I'm completely unfamiliar with the Cometbus stuff; but if it helps anyone the not a book policy section is at http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/11... --

Actually, I'm personally not get..."

So Debbie - am I reading the "NOT A BOOK" policy correctly that I could add Cometbus back under the NOT A BOOK author and they won't be deleted?

message 12: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 585 comments 10thumbs wrote: "To repeat my 2nd question in the OP:

"

I'm pretty sure not. Those editions are gone, and the reviews should it seems have been merged into the remaining "Cometbus" entry, but you can only have one review per edition - and there's only now one edition, so ONE of your read-dates should be attached to a review of that "book"

unread topics | mark unread