UK Book Club discussion

Around the World in 80 Books > Trojanhorse's (Kate's) Around the World in 80 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 281 (281 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kate, Moderator (last edited Apr 19, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
After much deliberation I have settled on the Around the World challenge, although at my usual rate of 20 books a year this is going to be a long trip!

1. GREECE The Song of Achilles By Madeline Miller.
2. FRANCE 1415: Henry V's Year Of Glory By Ian Mortimer
3. ENGLAND Dead Man's Folly By Agatha Christie
4. EGYPT The Eye Of Ra By Michael Asher
5. JAPAN Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout By Tsugumi Ohba
6. SCOTLAND Huntingtower By John Buchan
7. SPAIN Sharpe's Eagle By Bernard Cornwell
8. AUSTRALIA Picnic At Hanging Rock By Joan Lindsay
9. ARCTIC HMS Ulysses By Alistair MacLean
10.ITALY The moon into blood By Catherine Gavin
11. ISRAEL Ben-Hur By Lew Wallace
12. IRAQ Tales from the Thousand and One Nights By Anonymous
13. ICELAND Journey to the Center of the Earth By Jules Verne and Outrage By Arnaldur Indridason
14. CHINA Soul Mountain By Gao Xingjian
15. PORTUGAL Sharpe's Gold and Sharpe's Escape By Bernard Cornwell
16. MEXICO Sunstroke By Jesse Kellerman
17. JAMAICA Shattered Icon By Bill Napier
18. GERMANY Winter Games By Rachel Johnson
19. BRAZIL Brazil By John Updike
20. IRAN Zendegi By Greg Egan
21. WALES The Crystal Cave By Mary Stewart
22. HUNGARY Embers By Sandor Marai
23. INDIA Where Earth Meets Sky By Annie Murray
24. TIBET Ayesha: The Return of She By H Rider Haggard
25. ANTARCTIC Cold Hands, Warm Heart By Tess Burrows
26. TANZANIA Death in Zanzibar By M M Kaye
27. CANADA Gypsy By Lesley Pearse
28. USA A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail By Bill Bryson
29. AFGHANISTAN One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story By Pen Farthing
30. DENMARK Music and Silence By Rose Tremain
31. THE CHANNEL ISLANDS: JERSEY Bergerac's Jersey By John Nettles, GUERNSEY Island Madness By Tim Binding
32. TURKEY Dance with Death By Barbara Nadel
33. NEPAL Nepal, Land of Mystery By Hassoldt Davis
34. IRELAND This Charming Man By Marian Keyes
35. INDONESIA Island of Fire By Lee Stafford
36. THE NETHERLANDS Tulip Fever By Deborah Moggach
37. SWEDEN The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson
38. SWITZERLAND Precipice By Colin Forbes
39. THE SOLOMON ISLANDS Devil-Devil By G W Kent
40. KENYA The Man-Eaters of Tsavo By J H Patterson
41. ROMANIA Transylvania and Beyond: A Travel Memoir By Dervla Murphy
42. SINGAPORE Raffles and the Golden Opportunity By Victoria Glendinning
43. NEW ZEALAND Cat's Prey By Dorothy Eden and The Colour By Rose Tremain
44. NIGERIA The Famished Road By Ben Okri
45. AUSTRIA Maria By Maria von Trapp
46. ARGENTINA The Playboy of Argentina By Bella Frances
47. UGANDA My Driver By Maggie Gee
48. RUSSIA The Wolf Princess By Cathryn Constable
49. THE BAHAMAS The Queen of Whale Cay: The Eccentric Story of 'Joe' Carstairs, Fastest Woman on Water By Kate Summerscale
50. ZAMBIA Africa House By Christina Lamb
51. THE PHILIPPINES The Tesseract By Alex Garland
52. JORDAN Appointment with Death By Agatha Christie
53. CHILE Eva Luna By Isabel Allende
54. SYRIA Centurion By Simon Scarrow
55. GREENLAND Avalon By Anya Seton
56. LIBYA In the Country of Men By Hisham Matar
57. FINLAND The Healer By Antti Tuomainen
58. CUBA The Old Man and the Sea By Ernest Hemingway
59. THAILAND The Beach By Alex Garland
60. CZECH REPUBLIC The Visible World By Mark Slouka
61. NORTHERN IRELAND The Tavern on Maple Street By Sharon Owens
62. ZIMBABWE Now Is the Time for Running By Michael Williams
63. CROATIA Murder on the Orient Express By Agatha Christie
64. ECUADOR The Legend Makers By Catherine Lanigan
65. LEBANON Borrowed Time By Hassan Daoud
66. BOTSWANA The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency By Alexander McCall Smith
67. NORWAY The Seducer By Jan Kjaerstad
68. MOROCCO The Saffron Trail By Rosanna Ley
69. SOUTH AFRICA Flamingo Feather: A Story of Africa By Laurens Van Der Post
70. MADAGASCAR The Eden Legacy By Will Adams
71. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Shooting Script By Gavin Lyall
72. PERU The Shaman in Stilettos By Anna Hunt
73. POLAND A Meal in Winter By Hubert Mingarelli
74. MOZAMBIQUE Far Horizon By Tony Park
75. SAUDI ARABIA Daughters of Arabia: Princess 2 By Jean Sasson
76. VIETNAM Up Country By Nelson DeMille
77. SUDAN In Search of the Forty Days Road By Michael Asher
78. RWANDA Baking Cakes in Kigali By Gaile Parkin
79. ALGERIA Zone Zero By John Robb
80. HONG KONG Around the World in Eighty Days By Jules Verne
81. SOUTH KOREA The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly By Sun-Mi Hwang

message 2: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
I'm in France at the moment with 1415: Henry V's Year Of Glory I really must check the excursion itinerary more carefully in future... I keep ending up on battlefields!

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Enjoy Trojanhorse , it does become very addictive and my reading is def broadened as I keep looking at books on basis of where it'll get me next and can't read quick enough to move on!!

message 4: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Thanks for the encouragement Andrew. I've already caught myself checking out books based on their location so it looks like I'm hooked!
Stayed at home for number 3 with England Dead Man's Folly

I have a graphic novel series on the go based in Japan. Any rules on graphic novels, do they still count?

message 5: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Enjoy your trip Kate.

message 6: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Thanks Ian.

I've been galivanting across the desert on a camel with The Eye Of Ra by Michael Asher
Brilliant book worthy of 5 stars (even though in some places I thought it was fairly obvious what was going to happen). Mystery and adventure based in the 1990's but incorporating Tutankhamen, the curse of the tomb and other ancient Egyptian myths and legends. Just my kind of book! The author has a great way of describing places and his own experience of crossing the Sahara has been used effectively in the novel. The detail given of the desert and Bedouin way of life really enhances the story.

message 7: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
I'm on a roll now! Just done Japan. Death Note, Vol. 5 Whiteout (Death Note, #5) by Tsugumi Ohba I'm nearly halfway through the Deathnote series. This one has slipped a bit but I'm hoping Vol 6 will pick up again.

I'm not planning to count any Graphic Novels on the A-Z authors challenge but I see no reason why they can't help me get around the world!

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I have never read a graphic novel, it's one of the genre of the month categories so I guess, you might have some ideas when that comes up - I'm going to need them!

message 9: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Sure, no problem. I'm looking forward to that genre of the month.

message 10: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Think I may have to give that genre a miss as graphics not good on a basic non Fire kindle.

message 11: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Closer to home for my 6th Country. Huntingtower set in Scotland.

message 12: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Just finished Sharpe's Eagle for War genre which has ticked off Spain. Am really enjoying all the Sharpe books.

Having a short break from War though and about to read Picnic At Hanging Rock as a copy just happens to be lurking at the holiday cottage I am currently staying in. The perfect opportunity to get Australia!

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Ian wrote: "Think I may have to give that genre a miss as graphics not good on a basic non Fire kindle."

I'll happily post you some Graphic Novels (comics) Ian. Anything to clear the piles in my back room!!! They make Lynnes TBR pile look small :)

Trojan - what's Deathnote like? I tend to stick to the US style comics but have heard some good things about it on the grapevine.

message 14: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
My brother recommended the Deathnote series to me. Once I read the first one I was hooked, you just have to see where it is going to go. There are so many twists and turns to keep you guessing.
Basically a college student picks up a deathnote dropped by a shinigami god and whose ever name is written in it will die. He chooses to use it to rid the world of criminals and then starts a battle of wits between him and the authorities trying to catch him.
Its the first Japanese graphic novel series i have read but reading from back to front and right to left comes more naturally then you think it will!Link to the first one for you:

Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom

message 15: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Dave wrote: "Ian wrote: "Think I may have to give that genre a miss as graphics not good on a basic non Fire kindle."

I'll happily post you some Graphic Novels (comics) Ian. Anything to clear the piles in my ..."

Just what I need for my far too cluttered flat Dave lol.

message 16: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
8. Australia Picnic At Hanging Rock An enjoyable but frustrating read! The author makes some lovely observations.

message 17: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
9. Arctic HMS Ulysses Wow that was amazing! Wouldn't say enjoyable given the subject matter but certainly a compelling read.

message 18: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
10. Italy The moon into blood After the first three chapters were set in France we finally made our way into Italy (I think!)
There was a lot of travelling on their part and a lot of looking up place names on Wiki to check I was still in Italy for me!
Not a great story but it ticked off another Country!

message 19: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Now I've reached 10 books it's map time! :)

Around the World in 80 Books
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Well done! I've not read any of the books you have on the list - love this challenge - so many new ideas.

message 21: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Thanks! This is definitely my favourite challenge. I can feel my Geography improving by the day!

message 22: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
11. ISRAEL. Courtesy of Ben Hur which starts and ends in Jerusalem or thereabouts. An easier read than I was expecting and differs from the film at several key points!

message 23: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Ian wrote: "Dave wrote: "Ian wrote: "Think I may have to give that genre a miss as graphics not good on a basic non Fire kindle."

I'll happily post you some Graphic Novels (comics) Ian. Anything to clear the..."

Lol - but you'll have all those boxes you can tidy them away in - at the moment they're all spread over my spare room floor. Not that I spend any time sat around them reading them oh no not me!!

message 24: by Kate, Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2013 05:15AM) (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
12. IRAQ Tales from the Thousand and One Nights Started off well but after a while the tales got a bit monotonous. Most of the characters were gullible and Sindbad wasn't the hero Hollywood have made him!
The tales took me to Iran, Yemen, China and Egypt but the vast majority were in Baghdad hence Iraq.

message 25: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
13.ICELAND Journey to the Center of the Earth Another one that started off well but got tedious as it went on. The vast majority of above ground story was in Iceland so I reckon that counts! The descriptions of Reykjavik and the surrounding area were actually far better than some of the books I've read where the whole novel has been set in the one country!

message 26: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
14. CHINA Soul Mountain Some fantastic descriptions of China as the author backpacks across the Country along the Yangtze River. Highlights of the trip were a Giant Panda Observation compound, Chinese dragons, collecting cold arrow bamboo and a dragon boat festival. Interspersed with some interesting (but often grisley) folklore.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Realised not got China. saw you reading this so on way from Amazon

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments You seem to be doing really well at this. I visit loads of places but sadly they're all in Fantasy worlds.

message 29: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Hope you get on ok with it Robert! Let me know.

Thanks Helen I'm really enjoying it. I like Fantasy too but spend most of my time on Discworld!

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments arrived in post today next in line to take me to 60

message 31: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "arrived in post today next in line to take me to 60"

Oh No! We could have book crossed my copy and I could have sent it to you as a controlled release! Never mind. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Think Soul Mountain not going to be for me. Will give another 30 pages or so but not griped me as yet

message 33: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Oh dear! It took me a bit of getting used to and I prefered some chapters to others. I think the "I" chapters were better than the "You" chapters for instance!

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Afraid given up on Soul Mountain. Got to 100 pages but could not face another 400. Book for Japan I chose bit depressing maybe Oriental writing not my thing

message 35: by Kate, Moderator (last edited Sep 29, 2013 06:49AM) (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
I get the feeling Soul Mountain isn't for everyone! What are you going to read for China instead?

15. Portugal - Just finished Sharpe's Gold and was pleasantly surprised to tick off Portugal. I thought Sharpe had moved into Spain and I'd missed my chance but this book was set half in Spain and half in Portugal. Lucky me!

message 36: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Trojanhorse wrote: "I get the feeling Soul Mountain isn't for everyone! What are you going to read for China instead?

15. Portugal - Just finished Sharpe's Gold and was pleasantly surprised to tick off Portugal. I th..."

I have been reading Ava Lee series by Ian Hamilton. They are financial thrillers and very good. one not read been impossible to get here so ordered second hand copy from USA. I hope this will get me China. 2 week delivery so should just finished Birdsong

message 37: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
16. Mexico - Sunstroke Wouldn't recommend this one. It looked promising but really didn't hold my interest and I only finished it to get Mexico and a K author!!!

message 38: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I hate it when you read something that doesn't live up to its promise.

message 39: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
17. Jamaica Shattered Icon by Bill Napier Hoping I'll get away with this one. About half is set in Jamaica and it's definately where the plot twists are. Some great descriptions of the island.

message 40: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Sounds ok to me.

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I have that book, I could be finished with this challenge if I put my mind to it!

message 42: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Thanks for the all clear Ian! :)
Hope you enjoy it Helen. I gave it 4 stars.

message 43: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
18. Germany Winter Games split with alternate chapters - Germany 1936 and Oxford 2006. The 1936 half followed the grandmother's time in Bavaria and was a fairly decent story but the 2006 chapters following the grandaughter let it down.

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Kate (Trojanhorse) wrote: "14. CHINA Soul Mountain Some fantastic descriptions of China as the author backpacks across the Country along the Yangtze River. Highlights of the trip were a Giant Panda Observation ..."
Kate just finished
The Garden of Evening Mists  by Tan Twan Eng for Malaysia. Think you will like this if liked Soal mountain.

message 45: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
Thanks for the tip Robert. I'll be on the look out for that one then.
Currently reading Brazil and not really enjoying it much. Not my cup of tea at all but I'll plough on just so I can colour in some of South America!

message 46: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
19. BRAZIL Brazil Only gave it one star and that was generous! It certainly covered a fair portion of the Country.

Only one more to go to have achieved a quarter of the way! Then I've promised myself another map. :)

message 47: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments Wasn't there a film of Brazil?

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments A.L. wrote: "Wasn't there a film of Brazil?"

Having read 1200 pages of Michael Palin diaries last year BRAZIL was a film directed by Terry GILLHAM of Monty Python

message 49: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Pretty sure book and film not related......mind you if Kate is right about the book, then they do have awfulness in common.

message 50: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1374 comments Mod
I don't think they are related. No idea what the film is like but I won't be recommending that book to anyone!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6