Guilty Pleasures discussion

graphic novels?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Coffeeboss (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Coffeeboss | 15 comments Greetings, all! I never paid much mind to graphic novels, but just stumbled on Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore. It is a series that is just wrapping up after 14(!) years. It involves three friends: David is in love with Katchoo who is in love with Francine. Anyways, I'm totally hooked.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other graphic novels with LGBT themes? I also checked out a couple others, one of which was Jane's World by Paige Braddock. I was less impressed with this, as it was just kind of sitcom-y. Any suggestions? Boy/girl/trans, anything?

message 2: by Clare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Clare | 1 comments two of my favorites are the Hothead Paisan series by Diane DiMassa and Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel. these are really more "comics" than "graphic novels" per se, so i may be way off the mark, but i think they're definitely worth a look.

message 3: by Coffeeboss (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Coffeeboss | 15 comments I'm checking out Jaime Hernandez' compilation: "LOCAS : The Maggie and Hopey Stories: A Love and Rockets Book". Apparently it is a 700+ page book that compiles over 15 years of the Love and Rockets graphic novels about two bisexual punk rock girls who are best friends. I read one of the single editions, called "Ghosts of Hoppers", and though the style took a bit of getting used to, I think I'm interested in checking out more...

message 4: by Simone (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Simone | 1 comments Hey--Also check out "Fun Home" by Allison Bechdel and "Rent Girl" by Michelle Tea. Two of the most literary graphic novels I've found, queer or no... and an incredible fusion of text and image--especially Bechdel's.

message 5: by Coffeeboss (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Coffeeboss | 15 comments Thanks for the recommendations, Simone! I've actually read Rent Girl awhile back, and thought it was very interesting and raw. I'll check out Fun Home next. :)

message 6: by Mimi (last edited Feb 12, 2008 06:03AM) (new)

Mimi Monstroe | 2 comments Oh yes,

definately LOCAS and Hothead and Fun Home!

I just ordered this compilation called "My head hurts" online really cheap. I've never heard about it before but it's obviously about queer punk youth growing up in NYC. Anybody heard of it?

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Hodgins | 10 comments I just picked up SKIM by Mariko Tamaki, art by Jillian Tamaki. I haven't started it yet but I'm looking forward to it, early 90's, Toronto, angsty teen stuff...looks pretty good.

message 8: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 8 comments Also, 'Diary of a Teenage Girl' by Phoebe Gloeckner is a great one.

If you're willing to read comics online, Khaos Komix (http://khaoskomix.com) has an all gay cast.

Also, I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space is adorable. Available to read at http://lesbo-vision.com, or in stores, if you order it.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 12 comments STUCK RUBBER BABY by Howard Cruse deals with the Civil Right Era, homosexuality & racism.