kasi I love this book as it is so romantic
and so unpredictable. I never guessed
that Maxim had killed Rebecca although
we get clues that she was a hateful
person all along.
The second Mrs. DeWinter (nameless)is the heart of the novel and her
innocence and love for Maxim keeps
me interested. I like the maturity
she develops after they discover Rebecca.
I did always wonder how she could
support Maxim completely even though
he confessed to murder.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel This has always been one of my favorite books. I actually re-read it every several years. The old black and white movie is really good too. I think the black and white thing makes it even more creepy.

Saba vali man baraxe dear kasi az aval ehsase badi nesbat be rebeka dashtam va az avasete dastan age ye kam shame polisi dashte bashi motevaje mishi ke ehsase maxim be rebeka ye joraee ajib bod va nahayatan in ke rebekaro ki koshte barat ajib be nazar nemiresid.dar kol dastane khobi bod ,aslan kesho ghos nadasht va khondanesh khaste konande ham nist.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

kasi wrote: "I love this book as it is so romantic
person all along.
The second Mrs. DeW..."

SPOILER ALERT!
When I first started it, all I could think was "classic love story". I thought, "Oh, it's so predictable", yet I still loved it. But it just got better and better, and I never saw the end with Rebecca coming. I had some wild theories about Rebecca, but at the end...no, I did not see that coming. At. All.
Frank Crawley was my favorite character throughout the book, so I was always on tenderhooks waiting for him to come back in. I loved his friendship with Mrs. de Winter, who was, in her own right, an interesting character. I liked her personality, though he reaction to Rebecca's murder was surprising and not quite what one would expect of her. Maxim, I could never love. He was always fluctuating, and his inablity to "decide" if he loved his second wife or not really irritated me. (Though perhaps I should re-read it now that I know the ending and am not under the sorry illusion that Rebecca was his all...)
Anyway, I loved this book far more than I ever thought I would. It's one of my favorites, and I only wish that there was a more recent movie readily available.

message 5: by Yue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yue The first time I read this book I didn't like Maxim... he didn't seem to love his wife, he treated her like a child instead of a wife! But the 2nd time I read it I felt more his love for her, although he was somewhat distant. And I think the movie was really well done, Joan Fontaine really captured the essence of Mrs. de Winter. The only thing I didn't like was the man who portrayed Frank Crawley, he was too old, and he had very few scenes.

Karen I want to read again because I need to pick up on more I cannot recall.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Mel wrote: "This has always been one of my favorite books. I actually re-read it every several years. The old black and white movie is really good too. I think the black and white thing makes it even more c..."

I really need to see that movie...

I agree the books amazing, it's so gothic and emotional.

Karen I would love to see the movie also.

message 9: by Yue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yue Anyone who wants to watch the movie should go to porsiempreorgulloyprejuicio.blogspot.com/. This website may be in Spanish but has the movie in its original version.

Karen Sakura wrote: "Anyone who wants to watch the movie should go to porsiempreorgulloyprejuicio.blogspot..... This website may be in Spanish but has the movie in its original version."

thanks.

Debora Rebecca is one of my favorite books. Just as one of the posters here stated, Maxim does not always seem to love his new wife, but I always considered the fact that he married someone who was very much the opposite of Rebecca. Also, his relationship with Rebecca was intense, turbulent, and stormy. His marriage to the second wife was like a safe harbor, calm and serene but for the gulit and anguish festering in him over all his experiences with the first wife. Maxim is not able to truly love his new wife until he can completely rid himself of the first. This is why, I feel the conclusion had to be as it was. All ghosts of Rebacca had to be eradicated. Now both of them can be together and love each other as they wish. Maxim will appreciate his new wife far more than he could have before and the new wife has learned a hard life's lesson that has matured her. She can now assume the role as Mrs. de Winter and truly be Mrs de Winter.

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth One of my favorite books. True classic.

Karen Beth wrote: "One of my favorite books. True classic."

Me also. Nigh near perfect.

Cheryl Yeah, I reread it every so often, too. Lately, I've noticed how different the language is from today's prose. Not just the dialogue, but the actual writing.

Still a favorite though.

Karen I looked at Li bray to re read this and they did not have. Will have to order I guess.

Karen Gabi wrote: "Did Maxim kill Rebecca? Jesus Christ, what’s the world coming to? I’ve spoken about this book many times. Read the book and watched the film a couple of times. I remember a fire and also I remember..."

It is going to get worse and you are right Jesus Christ is only hope. yes, pray to him. This book is way back, evil is going to grow worse and worse. this book really shines light though on the evil man can do.

Cheryl Gabi wrote: "Did Maxim kill Rebecca? Jesus Christ, what’s the world coming to? I’ve spoken about this book many times. Read the book and watched the film a couple of times. I remember a fire and also I remember..."

Can't believe you don't remember what happened!

The heroine was never named. No one ever called her by name nor was her name ever mentioned. She was just the second Mrs. de Winter. Try to get away with that today!

And her boss was horrible, wasn't she? As for Rebecca, she wanted to die because she had cancer. Her last hateful act was leaving Maxim in anguish over shooting her.

Guess you can tell it made an impression on me!

Cheryl Gabi wrote: "She had cancer? The wife didnt have a name? What was going in my head while reading this???? i remember the fire and also the wedding. The first line of the book is the best, that I do remember wel..."

Uh, I admit I've reread it a few times.

Karen Cheryl wrote: "Gabi wrote: "She had cancer? The wife didnt have a name? What was going in my head while reading this???? i remember the fire and also the wedding. The first line of the book is the best, that I do..."

The first line of the book is a classic.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Is this book anything like The book Rebecca?

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 29, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

this book is amazing, it appeals to everyone!

Cheryl Suela wrote: "Is this book anything like The book Rebecca?"

Um, I thought were talking about Rebecca?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

the book Rebecca by daphne Du murier

Ellen Totten kasi wrote: "I love this book as it is so romantic
person all along.
The second Mrs. DeWinter..."

It is my favorite book as is the movie. I loved the movie and bought it at B & N. My husband, (it shocked me), liked it too. Hollywood will never be able to duplicate the movie.Nobody could carry it off. It's like Gone With The Wind. Both classics!

Monica Well i just finish this book and thought imo it was quite awful. And dont get why it is held in such esteem. i wasnt surprise that max was the killer the book was leading to it. Since nothing really remotely interesting happen to suggest nothing else would be the outcome.
I think She was naive and lack self esteem which allowed her to stay with him. She was relieved to find out that he didnt love his first wife. She started to feel important which was pathetic but when u have low self esteem u dont really make the best decisions

Ellen Totten I understand where you're coming from, Monica. However, consider the time this book was written...1938. Things were very different back in those days...the 20s, 30s and, yes, into the 40s and 50s. Wealthy dowager-type women in the U.K. had an elitest aura about them. Max's second wife was a paid companion for a controlling rich woman. And women, even in this country,(I can say it because I'm 72),didn't have the self-esteem that women of today have.We didn't have all the opportunities of this generation. Did you miss the fact that Daphne didn't give a first name to Max's second wife? This shows her intent of the character she wished to portray. It's merely a story of the times. By the way, Max didn't murder Rebecca, it was an accident that she fell. She instigated the argument because she was dying of cancer.

Jean Paul LeFrey Gabi wrote: "Did Maxim kill Rebecca? Jesus Christ, what’s the world coming to? I’ve spoken about this book many times. Read the book and watched the film a couple of times. I remember a fire and also I remember..."

Very amusing indeed! Great post.

Ellen Totten No, Jean Paul, he didn't kill her. It was an accident. She instigated an argument because she was dying of cancer and didn't have long to live. She stumbled back and fell, hitting her head on a metal object. That's what killed her. She wasn't a nice person. She had an affair with her first cousin. Mrs. Danvers was in love with her. That was quite an interesting story written during those times. People didn't talk about gay love or incest. But it's as old as time began.

Ellen Totten Has anyone read Fifty Shades of Gray?

Rosalie Ellie wrote: "No, Jean Paul, he didn't kill her. It was an accident. She instigated an argument because she was dying of cancer and didn't have long to live. She stumbled back and fell, hitting her head on a met..."

kasi wrote: "I love this book as it is so romantic
person all along.
The second Mrs. DeWinter..."

As far as I can remember, Maxim strangled Rebecca when she taunted him with the news that she was pregnant and that the child wasn't his. He locked her body in the cabin of her boat, made holes in its planks and let it sail offshore. I read this book when I was 19 and I loved it then. I am now on my 40s and it is still my favourite book. I just like the way du Murier painted a picture of Manderley and of each character with words. I could picture each scene vividly. I saw the tv mini series of Rebecca in 1997 with Emilia Fox as Rebecca, Charles Dance as Maxim and Diana Rigg as Mrs de Winter. I thought it was done very well. I haven't really thought of Mrs de Winter that way Ellie. But yes, Mrs de Winter was obsessed with Rebecca, I even thought that she could be her secret daughter.

message 31: by VickiLee (last edited Aug 30, 2012 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VickiLee There are books that step casually into our lives and then never leave. This is what Rebecca became for me - a permanent member of my book family. I loved its creepy eeriness, the odd and over-dramatic reactions of the characters and the moodiness of Manderley. Another fine book by du Maurier is Jamaica Inn.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

@Rosalie: We all seem to have read different books...Maxim shot her, and she wasn't really pregnant, she just was teasing him with the idea that she was.

Ellen Totten Brooke wrote: "@Rosalie: We all seem to have read different books...Maxim shot her, and she wasn't really pregnant, she just was teasing him with the idea that she was."

Brooke wrote: "@Rosalie: We all seem to have read different books...Maxim shot her, and she wasn't really pregnant, she just was teasing him with the idea that she was."

I don't know what story you read, but Maxim did not shoot his first wife. She died in the boat house after tripping over tackle gear and hitting her head. He put her body in their boat and scuttled it. She was dying of cancer and wanted him to kill her because she didn't have the nerve to take her own life. He did not kill her. It was an accident.

VickiLee wrote: "There are books that step casually into our lives and then never leave. This is what Rebecca became for me - a permanent member of my book family. I loved its creepy eeriness, the odd and over-..."

I do as well. I bought the book years ago as well as Jamaica Inn. I remember when the movie came out with Lawrence Olivier & Joan Fontaine. I recently bought the movie on CD at Barnes & Noble. My husband had never seen it and enjoyed it.

Rosalie @ Brooke: I still have the book and yes you are correct - Maxim shot her. Thank you for highlighting this. On page 313 : 'She turned round and faced me, smiling, one hand in her pocket, the other holding her cigarette. When I killed her, she was smiling still. I fired at her heart. The bullet passed right through. She did not fall at once. She stood there, looking at me, that slow smile on her face, her eyes wide open...' Then he carried her out to the boat, left her in the cabin, drove a spike into the bottom boards making them split. He climbed into the dinghy and watched the boat drifting away and sinking.

Rosalie VickiLee wrote: "There are books that step casually into our lives and then never leave. This is what Rebecca became for me - a permanent member of my book family. I loved its creepy eeriness, the odd and over-..."

Same here. I haven't read Jamaica Inn yet. Will see if I can get hold of it. I am currently reading The Parasites. It took me some time to get interested but I am liking it now.

Tilly oh i love this book, it quickly became my favourite and i still find just the whole thing so different to everything else I've ever read that it has actually stayed with me more than most other things that I've read recently!!
for all you du Maurier fans, I would recommend Daphne. I actually found the style of writing made it hard to get into but i think the actual storyline was really really good. You should give it a go though, see what you think. It's about Daphne, after she wrote Rebecca, at the time she was writing her biography of Branwell Bronte. Certainly interesting, if a little difficult to get into.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I don't really pick up romance in the book....to me the gothic atmosphere is what really makes it shine, the haunting mystery, and the surrealism of the writing.

Ellen Totten Mel wrote: "This has always been one of my favorite books. I actually re-read it every several years. The old black and white movie is really good too. I think the black and white thing makes it even more c..."

It's one of my favorites as well. I don't think the movie would have the same impact if it were in color. Mrs. Danvers was really creepy. I detected she was in love with the first Mrs. D, however, in those days those things were only hinted at. Stories of an innocent young woman and an older, rich and handsome man always seems to work in novels such as these and other love stories, (e.g. FSOG & Gabriel's Inferno and Rapture). I wouldn't call it a romance or love story. Maxim's marriage to the 2nd Mrs. D was an instrument guiding the mystery of Rebecca and how she died. I'm waiting for Hollywood to remake it. They can't seem to come up with anything new these days outside of Sci-Fi with special affects.

Cheryl Erin wrote: "I don't really pick up romance in the book....to me the gothic atmosphere is what really makes it shine, the haunting mystery, and the surrealism of the writing."

Definitely the writing was what raised this way up above the level of other similar gothics. I did find the romance in it though, in her hero worship of her husband that gradually transformed until she could love him for the man he really was.

Hayley Linfield What I loved most about Rebecca is the voice of the second Mrs. Dewinter. She's so shy and nervous, yet so intelligent and insightful. I feel so deeply for her throughout the novel, for how invisible she feels and how inept and so 'in the shadow' all the time. Her character is what makes this novel so compelling even as it grows more and more dated. We can all relate to those feelings of insecurity.