The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > The Return of Jezebel James - Amy's New Show!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Jan 09, 2008 08:04AM) (new)

Meghan Amy Sherman-Palladino's new show is scheduled to air on March 7 on Fox from 8:30 - 9:00 pm. There are 7 episodes set to air.

It's a sitcom about a single New York book editor named Sarah (Parker Posy) who gets her free-spirited younger sister Coco (Lauren Ambrose) to carry a baby for her.

Amy is quoted as saying, "I was still reeling from the whole Gilmore thing [referring to her departure from the series]. Fox called and said they wanted to do a female comedy. What I felt like creating was what I started out doing: a traditional studio-audience sitcom, like Roseanne [Amy wrote for Roseanne from 90-94]. My favorite scenes to write were the Roseanne-and-Jackie moments, so it was an easy leap: Make this show about sisters. Either that, or make 'em gay."

She went with straight sisters. Ambrose says taping in front of a live audience is "wonderfully scary." Amy says of Parker's image as a "wacky, out-there indie girl" is "ridiculous; she's a sweet perfectionist." Fans adored Gilmore's tart perfection; we'll see if they bite on Posey's sweet version, too.

(culled from Entertainment Weekly's review. Sorry if I plagerized. This is the most recent issue so the strike has been factored in on the episode count.)

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 09, 2008 09:02AM) (new)

Hmm sounds interesting. I'll have to remember to watch that. I like Parker Posy

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I adore Parker Posey.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
I'm not big on sitcoms like that, though. Just not me. But Parker Posey IS funny.

message 5: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Annoyingly skinny, though.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I love Parker Posy (she was fabulous in her bit role in You've Got Mail and also my favorite movie, Waiting for Guffman). I love that she's brunette just like Lorelai. I can see how Amy is drawn to these types of women--quirky but warm hearted. It'll be interesting to see how they explain how in the world she could be sisters with Lauren Ambrose though. They're about as far apart phsyically as two humans could possible be (while still in the somewhat same ethnic group).

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh and Parker already talks fast so she shouldn't have any problems with Amy's writing! heh

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love her in Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Superman Returns, You've Got Mail, Dazed & Confused... and from what I hear she's extremely professional and very sweet in real life. One of my favorite stories is how she was supposed to slap Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns, and Spacey wanted it to be real so he told her really smack him. But she didn't want to and they had to do several takes because she kept apologizing.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, that IS rather adorable.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Oh! Oh! And she was hysterical in Josie and the Pussycats! Is it time to braid each other's hair now???

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Just a reminder that this show begins tonight...

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany That's so funny, wasn't her character in You've Got Mail a New York book editor? Thanks for the reminder, I definitely want to watch!

message 13: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 23 comments I loved the show. I cant wait to see where she is going to take this story.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oops, I wasn't home to watch it. Hopefully I can get it online!

message 15: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Same here, Sarah. :(

Although, I'm not complaining - I had seats on the glass on the corner at an AMAZING hockey game. It was outstanding to see their expressions again and have them hit the glass right in front of me. Sigh. I love that sport!

message 16: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Did I mention it was a rather last minute blind date? Hee!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) See my comments in the Star Is Born thread, Michele.

message 18: by Jamie (last edited Mar 15, 2008 06:30AM) (new)

Jamie I really liked it, too, and I haven't liked any sitcoms lately (although Unhitched looks pretty good). It's pretty funny and more entertaining than I expected it to be. Did anyone who watched it notice that the actors who played Max and Gypsy on GG were in the pilot?

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (abqnorby6) I just watched the show on fox.com. It started a little slow for me but actually became pretty good at the end. The laugh track is a bit annoying. I think this will be one that I watch, it seems intriguing.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Just finished watching the pilot. It's good to hear Amy's words again. Parker Posy is perfect for the fast talking.

The concept is a little weak. When Parker is being Parker, she's brilliant. When they put her in "situational comedy" jokes it was a bit like watching bad dinner theater.

But it was great seeing Lulu, Paris' nanny, and Max! Sarah (Parker Posy) is a bit like if Rory and Paris had a baby and then fed it nothing but crack. I like her best when she's at her job. They need to keep her at work for most of the show.

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Giusti | 4 comments I thought it was pretty funny and it seems that they do have the same witty banter that the Gilmore had .We will have to keep watching to see.I totally agree with Sarah being like if Rory and Paris.. to funnny

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I just finished watching the pilot. I really like it. I haven't gotten attached to a show in a long time. I'm still finishing up watching GG on DVD, but I can see myself watching this one too.

message 23: by Weinz (new)

Weinz Meghan, I LOVE your comment.

I just finished watching it. You can hear Amy's voice coming through but not as much as I wanted. Crossing my fingers for more as they all settle into their roles. I

I loved seeing Gypsy and Max. I always thought Max didn't get enough air time. It will be interesting to see who else Amy is able to squeeze on the show.

Oh, and the amazing Diane Wiest! need I say more.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, I didn't love it. I really hate shows with a laugh track too.

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Well apparently I missed the pilot by like an hour online. (Other networks offer several episodes of their shows at once.) It was very confusing since I didn't know that the sister was pregnant, etc. You know, I wasn't impressed. The best parts were when Max was in a scene (any scene) and when the housekeeper was telling the movers where to put the furniture. I love Parker Posy, but I'm just not feeling her in this role. Not at all. I'm so bummed I missed Gypsy, though!! Sarah... I'm feeling you on both counts.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (abqnorby6) I went on today (saturday) and there were three episodes including the pilot available for viewing. Hope you can get to it.

message 27: by carol (new)

carol (lady_lazarus) | 2 comments well, although it's a sitcom and I don't like that a lot, I think the show is fine - and that's all. The things seems to be adjusting still, it's a little awkward. Sometimes you can feel the touch of Amy, but I don't know... I just hate laugh track. Brrr. But I'll keep watching, i think it's gonna get better.

message 28: by Meghan (last edited Mar 23, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

Meghan It's hard not to compare it to GG. But I feel like GG dealt with various topics because someone was trying to make a statement. This show just feels like they're trying to be controversial for hardy-har-har sake (and missing the point big time).

Being someone who was adopted and knowing that adoption already has a tough enough time being accepted as a viable alternative for having children, the whole stranger-using-my-bathroom just wasn't funny. (And the joke really wasn't that funny even if I didn't take it personally.)

And while I know a lot of home schooled children ARE socially inept, I know a lot who have transitioned into regular schools/college just fine too. It kind of felt like they were trying to show how "big city cool" they were by making fun of the redneck country folk...which I'm not saying can't be funny, but the whole scenario felt tired and recycled.

I hope the next few episodes get better because I can't see this show making it much longer.

And seriously, I didn't think they could create a more annoying character than Taylor, but that dad is just terrible and wrong.

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Meghan,

I'm also adopted and I was annoyed by the bathroom thing, too. I think it was this show that implied that the baby might grow up and go crazy on her (I'm sure I didn't see that somewhere else, right?), which I always find pretty offensive. I usually just try to ignore ignorant comments like those, but you do bring up a good point!

message 30: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

I heartily agree on the home school thing. Sorry, but I know loads of kids and adults who were socially very well adjusted - and really very smart, too, who were home schooled. I didn't appreciate that at all.

Hey, did you guys know that they passed a law in California that requires all home school teachers to have teaching degrees now? How ridiculous is that? I mean, the current National Spelling Bee champ will no longer be able to be home schooled, for one, as his mum doesn't have that degree. He is so far beyond his age group scholastically, but he and others will likely be put in back in the system with their age level rather than skill level... in the school system that is cutting teachers yet again because of the state budget. (Or his mom will have to go get a great-paying job after being a stay-at-home mom all these years to pay for private school. Lame.)

When I was a teacher of music, art, drama, and dance, I was contracted to public and private schools, after-school programs, and home school groups. You know, the children that learned the quickest and were the most well behaved were the home schooled children. They were well adjusted, bright, and excelling. They were able to soar in subjects that interested them, and really dig in and work (with individualized help) on problem areas. If a family can afford to do this and has the desire, why on earth would we take that away??? Certainly general state testing for home schooled kids could show if a child is falling terribly behind and then steps could be taken to correct this or move them back into the state system.

Sorry... major tangent!!! I just don't get how we can keep letting the government take away our freedoms for our "benefit." Sheesh.

It eerily reminds me of a futuristic story I read in school - I wish I could recall the name or the author - where everyone had to have/be exactly the same... no one could excel or be overly attractive or overly smart. So this couple were watching this TV show and this dancer, who happened to be their son I think, tore off his mask (so that everyone looked the same) and instead of continuing to stumble around with the rest of the troupe (so that no one watching would feel these people were better than them), he did this glorious dance. The couple were momentarily astonished until whatever it was that kept them all status quo caused them to forget... because they couldn't be any smarter than their neighbor.

***(You school teachers, PLEASE tell me the name and author if you know it as it impacted me so much that though I read the 25 years ago and I still remember it! Thanks!)

Again, sorry for momentarily usurping this post.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Michele, I read that story too!

message 32: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Well, Jezebel James has been cancelled. I hope it's okay to copy some of the below article here:

"Fox has closed the book on Amy Sherman-Palladino's post-Gilmore Girls comeback vehicle, The Return of Jezebel James, after three abysmally rated outings. A Fox spokesperson confirms that the comedy starring Parker Posey and Lauren Ambrose as unlikely sisters has aired its last episode."

The full article is here:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-ent...

message 33: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I watched the pilot and hated it. I found the laugh track really intrusive and the dialogue wasn't a patch on our beloved Gilmores.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm glad he agreed that the laugh track was obnoxious. I just don't think this was right for Parker Posey. She is so used to the big, quirky roles and this character was too normal for her. So she came across as being too big, too exaggerated, and overacting.

I also think that a HUGE part of what made GG work was the town. Stars Hollow was another character and all of the townspeople were a part of the magic of the show. The supporting cast of this one was just awful.

message 35: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I didn't watch the show yet because I had an inkling they weren't moving forward on it - they didn't tape too many shows to begin with. Bummer.

message 36: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, I'm kind of sad that we won't get to hear Amy's words (Parker is SO perfect for her fast paced speed talking). But honestly, I think there's a better show for her than this one.

And I agree with you Sarah. The writing is uneven for her in this role. Is she compassionate but quirky or smart yet ditzy? Loud or quiet? It kind of drove me nuts. And I like Lauren Ambrose but I thought her character was dull, duller, and dullest.

message 37: by Faith (new)

Faith | 2 comments i was going to watch that show but i guess that didnt happen maybe she can make a spin off of gilmore girls with kirk or someone

message 38: by Grace (new)

Grace | 17 comments sorry i was on as my sister faith i rote the 37 message but they really should

message 39: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sarah, do you remember anything about the title of that story or perhaps the author? I'm dying to get a hold of it again... or at least relieve my brain of the scouring it's giving itself trying to remember!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No, Michele. I remember reading it in high school, though. Try asking about it in the "What's the name of that book" group.

message 41: by Meghan (last edited Apr 06, 2008 05:34PM) (new)

Meghan Michele - The story you're thinking of is Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut. It is a short story.

You can read the whole story here:

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave...

(credit belongs to my YA book club members! Thanks!)

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I thought it was written by somebody like Vonnegut, but I wasn't sure.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There is a similar equality story in A Wrinkle In Time, if memory serves.

message 44: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Meghan, thanks for this! I missed this when it was posted, so I'm psyched to know! Somehow I thought it was somebody like Vonnegut, too, but really couldn't remember. So glad to have it again! Now I'm going to go re-read it!

message 45: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, thanks for mentioning the story. It was interesting to read. But thanks to the sci-fi club for knowing what the hang I was talking about!