Oxford on Goodreads discussion

Why I joined this group

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto I was in the library yesterday and got talking to a woman who was looking for new mysteries to read. I told her I read a lot of mysteries, but they were mostly British. Well, she said she loved British writers as well. Her exact words were "If it's by a British author or about England, Ireland or Scotland, I'm there." I thought, wow, that's me too. I find that a large part of my reading choices are English, Irish, Scottish authors so I started looking for a group based in England. Also, I have dreamed of going to England my entire life. My father was stationed in England during WWII and I grew up on his stories about England. Well, In october 2008, my dream came true and I finally got to England. Three friends and I did a walking tour of he Cotswolds ending our tour in Oxford. As you can see my icon is a teapot of Alice in Wonderland which one of my friends on the trip bought for me. I can't wait to return to England but in the meantime I'll visit through books(Several of which I bought at Blackwells). Some of my favorite books are Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World without end, Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I also just discovered Graham Hurley who was featured on Lovereading.co.uk.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Frankfort | 3 comments Wow, that's me too! I'm currently reading Edward Rutherford's novel of England, "Sarum". I didn't think a novel covering 40,000 years could be involving and compelling, but it is;-) Also reading Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley mystery series. And just finished 8 books by Sharon Kay Penman - historical fiction taking place at the time of Henry I, then Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, the sons that followed. And the bitter battles as England became invested in ruling Wales.
I'm such an anglophile at this point that my own novels take place in England and my main characters are English. Much tougher and less interesting to me to write about Americans.
Thanks also, Nancy, for providing that link. I've already checked it out. :-)

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto Lisa wrote: "Wow, that's me too! I'm currently reading Edward Rutherford's novel of England, "Sarum". I didn't think a novel covering 40,000 years could be involving and compelling, but it is;-) Also reading..."

Lisa wrote: "Wow, that's me too! I'm currently reading Edward Rutherford's novel of England, "Sarum". I didn't think a novel covering 40,000 years could be involving and compelling, but it is;-) Also reading..."

Nancy wrote: "I was in the library yesterday and got talking to a woman who was looking for new mysteries to read. I told her I read a lot of mysteries, but they were mostly British. Well, she said she loved B..."

The Inspector Lynley mysteries are some of my absolute favorites. Though, I would have to say my favorite character is Barbara Havers. I was so disappointed when BBC decided to discontinue the TV series. Also if you like reading about Medieval times, I just finished Shadows and strongholds by Eliz. Chadwick. It takes place just when Henry II is coming to power. I really enjoyed it. Happy reading.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Frankfort | 3 comments Oh, yes! Chadwick is next on my list:-)

message 5: by Nita (new)

Nita Because I wish I'd visit Oxford some day!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Frankfort | 3 comments Another author I highly recommend is Edith Pargeter. She also wrote the Brother Cadfael mysteries under the name Ellis Peters. I'm currently towards the end of the fourth book in the Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet which is mainly about Llewelyn, prince of Wales. Gorgeous writing. I just bought one of her other series "The Heaven Tree" and also a book she did with a photographer called Strongholds and Sanctuaries covering the Marchers which is the border between England and Wales. Beautiful photos of exactly what I'm reading about now.

message 7: by Pippa (new)

Pippa (pippa222) | 1 comments I'm near Cheltenham, which is not very far from Oxford. I'm joining all the English groups I can find, chiefly because I'd like to meet people who could become real life friends. (And it looks as if none of you live in England?) :/ I also love Edith Pargeter/ Ellis Peters, and Kate Morton. I read one Elizabeth Chadwick and it had far too many deaths of central characters for me. Her writing style is beautiful but I can't bear all that grief.