Any Daphne Du Maurier fans out there? discussion

D du M's books > The Glass Blowers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments This one is about the French Revolution, and also tells the story of forbears of the du Maurier family. A good change is that it's set in the French countryside and not in Paris so you experience it from their POV and not the Royalty and Paris itself. A very worthwhile read.

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) I found this one at a used book store. I look forward to reading it.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I'm surprised at the vote count it's picking up at the European R group. Last I looked it's neck and neck with Tale of Two Cities.

message 4: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Misfit wrote: "I'm surprised at the vote count it's picking up at the European R group. Last I looked it's neck and neck with Tale of Two Cities."

I know and it will be fun to read either one. I was so glad to have found The Glass Blowers at the used book store. The lady there is so very nice and helpful. There were some others of hers that I will probably get this weekend - they are only priced at $1.25/each.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura I also found an used one here in my country!!

message 6: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Laura wrote: "I also found an used one here in my country!!"

Hello there - I have found a one-penny-wonder Glass Blowers on amazon.co.uk; Bargain! I am still waiting for Lady Audley's Secret to arrive, tum-tee-dum.

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "Laura wrote: "I also found an used one here in my country!!"

Hello there - I have found a one-penny-wonder Glass Blowers on amazon.co.uk; Bargain! I am still waiting for Lady Audley's Secret to ..."

Good job Laura. And I thought I was the last of the group starting Lady Audley. Loving it though.

message 8: by Bettie (new)

Bettie I shall catch up like speedy gonzales on, well, speed!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 20, 2009 07:53PM) (new)

Very surprised the Colorado Springs library system doesn't own a copy of the Glass Blowers. In fact their collection of Daphne Du Maurier is pitiful! However, they do have a book by that woman who did a rip off (IMO)...Susan Hill?...I refuse to read these "rip off" books by people who take a famous author and write a story using one of her characters. Makes me so MAD!

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I have no interest in reading all the knock off books out there. I'm quite fortunate that my county library has a plentiful selection of Du Maurier titles, and I intend to work my way through all of them.

message 11: by Dottie (last edited Jul 01, 2009 02:19PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) I began this last evening and am thoroughly hooked into it already. I enjoy stories set in the Revolution period and this one is a bit of a different view as was pointed out. Still -- I'm sure
I'll find connections to previous reading and as it's DuMaurier, I can't go wrong really.

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments We had this as a group read a few months ago over at ER. The reactions were a bit mixed, anywhere from loved it to "meh".

message 13: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) Well -- I'm loving it. First, it's the French Revolution peroid and second, it's about glass manufacturing. I'm interested in glass and glass-making for my own reasons and find all the foundry details fascinating.

I'm close to halfway through this one.