Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Bi-lingual books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Günter (new)

Günter (honguito) | 5 comments Dear friends !
How can I list a book that was issued by-lingual (for example, a book with a story in one language and a translation of the same story in the same book).
The language list allows me to choose only one language.
For example:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...
Thanks for your help
Gunter

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I would pick the language that the story or book was originally written in from the language list. I would then note that it contains the translation in the description field.

However, others may want to weigh in on this...

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
I think that's probably the best option.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Huh, my instinct would have been to record the translated language, since that is "more unusual" than the original language. It's a toss up, I guess.

I'm not precisely sure how useful the language tag is at this time. It doesn't actually show up anywhere; only librarians can even know what language is recorded for a book. I suppose it's all for future use (so we don't have to go back and add it all later).

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Michael wrote: "Huh, my instinct would have been to record the translated language, since that is "more unusual" than the original language."

That's a good point.

message 6: by Günter (new)

Günter (honguito) | 5 comments I would prefer the possibility to mark two or more languages in the selection box. Maybe this would be the best option.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That would be something to suggest in the Feedback group. However, my understanding is that it would be fairly difficult to implement.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 18 comments There are quite a few scholarly works out there that have the original text/language on one side and the translation on the other. It's a tough call as I prefer to mark the document with the original language of the author (e.g.,"French 1400 - 1600"), and at the same time someone has translated the work into English and I want the potential reader to know that there's a translation available in the same work. I usually make a notation at the top of the description that it is a bi-lingual work.

I suspect one way to handle it is the primary audience, the language of the reader, and then fill out the proper roles for author, translator, and other. Ideally it would be nice to have a secondary language field. Anything else would get very unwieldy very quickly.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

There are also books (I know of only one) that are written in two languages, where none is the original language. It has the same lay-out as a bilingual book where the original language can be on the left page and the translation on the right, except that there's no original and translation.