Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #32: Cry Me A River

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) There are lots of sad books out there. But which one manage to make you shed real tears and sob like a baby?

Thanks for the question Dini!

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) My Dog Skip by Willie Morris. I can't even begin to explain how I bawled my eyes out.

Books about animals and their relationships with people get me crying like a little girl. I love animals.

message 5: by Samara (new)

Samara It's been a long time for me, but the one that stands out is Where The Red Fern Grows. I can't remember the author right now, but it's about a boy and his 2 dogs and I think I read it about 5 times when I was a kid.

message 6: by cindy (new)

cindy | 48 comments For me, it was HP who made my truly cry
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Then, there are these books too...
- Life of Pi
- The Holy Woman, and
- Ptolemy's Gate

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie Marley and Me

message 8: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
"Love You Forever" by Robert N. Munsch - I burst into tears on page 1, since I know what's coming. Also, I'm usually getting weepy by the end of Puff, the Magic Dragon.

I read a lot to my 4 year old, but I don't count those books against my 50 in 2009 list :)

message 9: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Faye wrote: " "Love You Forever" by Robert N. Munsch - I burst into tears on page 1, since I know what's coming. Also, I'm usually getting weepy by the end of [b:Puff, the Magic Dragon|636026|Puff, the Magic Dr..."

OMG, yes, I totally cry at "Love You Forever" too!!!

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments From childhood: "Where the Red Fern Grows"

Recently: "On Chesil Beach"

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie "The Last Lecture" (Randy Pausch) and "The Thirteenth Tale" (Diane Setterfield) are the only ones coming to mind at the moment. I don't ever really sob, but if it's moving enough, I'll cry. Both of these just had parts that resonated with me.

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurie0303) | 60 comments The Red Tent, Time Traveller's Wife, The Road, In Her Shoes

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie For me, the ones I can remember are The Kite Runner, The Book Thief, My Sister's Keeper and The Bonesetter's Daughter.

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) I bawled through the end of Marley and Me. My dog was just as close to our family, and that book brought it all back.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy marley and me--I sobbed in the middle of the park next to Pike Place Market in Seattle reading it on vcation. I just finished Cloud Nine by LuAnn Rice and sobbed through the last 40-50 pages

message 16: by Severine Bambang (new)

Severine Bambang | 56 comments Marley and Me
Confessions of A Fallen Angel

message 17: by Natalie (last edited Mar 16, 2009 10:03AM) (new)

Natalie | 36 comments This is so funny cause I just sobbed like a baby last night reading. I am half way through with the 7th book in the Dark Tower Series and I was crying so hard.....I am in trouble if the rest of the book is like this.
I also cried in the 5th, 6th, and 7th books of the Harry Potter series! I guess I am just a big baby!
I also cried in To Kill A Mockingbird and Les Mis too.

message 18: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I cried at quite a few Harry Potter books-6 & 7 for sure. The Time Traveler's Wife, My Sister's Keeper, Water for Elephants..I know there are more, just can't think of them right off. I used to cry every time I read The Outsiders when I was in junior high-it killed me!

message 19: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I cried for My Sister's Keeper.

I just recently read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I laughed so much during that book, but I found myself weeping at the end.

message 20: by Persephone (new)

Persephone | 146 comments I cried at HP 7(my favourite character's death)..

message 21: by Jonathan (last edited Mar 16, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Jonathan (jonathanadams) | 676 comments I can't remember crying while reading, although "Love is a Mix Tape" is incredibly sad.

Also, HP 7 when Hedwig dies really depressed me.

message 22: by Becca (new)

Becca The Kite Runner - I fell apart on the subway ride home and sobbed when I got home.

Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince, New Moon, The Far Sweet Thing (Libba Bray)

I find that I experience emotions very intensely so I try to avoid books (and movies) that will sicken my heart.

message 23: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I listened to it while walking in public several days a week and it was actually a bit embarrassing that I kept tearing up. Actually I didn't care because the story is really really moving but don't forget to keep tissue near by.

message 24: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has caused me a multi-chapter sob-fest. Great characters, but so so sad!

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments Samara wrote: "It's been a long time for me, but the one that stands out is Where The Red Fern Grows. I can't remember the author right now, but it's about a boy and his 2 dogs and I think I read it about 5 time..."

I can still tear up thinking about that book. My fifth grade teacher readit outloud to us and we didn't quite make it to the end. I read it that summer and every summer thereafter for years. Great book. So heartfelt.

message 26: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments Faye wrote: "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has caused me a multi-chapter sob-fest. Great characters, but so so sad!"

This was a book that I finished and then had to tell everyone in my life to read. So heartbreaking, but so worth it.

message 27: by LadyCalico (last edited Jun 24, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

LadyCalico | 251 comments Anything where the beloved animal gets hurt or dies dredges up the injured child in me--Yearling, Red Fern, Red Pony, My Dog Skip, etc. Also shed a lot of tears in "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Yes, I am aware that she wasn't a dog, but her husband treated her like one. Also Oke's "Dana's Valley" about killed me.

message 28: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 11 comments Of course, I cry every time I read "Love You Forever"... I don't think I've ever met anybody who doesn't.

As far as grown up books go (so to speak), A Walk to Remember. I don't normally read Nicholas Sparks novels (generally regard them as fluff books), but I was 18 or 19 when I read this, going thru my mournful teenager phase.

Also, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou), and The Bluest Eye (Toni Morrison). As a young woman who was sexually abused, these books helped me to come to terms with what happened to me, and to realize that I truly wasn't alone... that there were those out there who had gone thru it all and not only survived, but got past the victim mentality and reached out to others who'd been abused. Truly very touching, and I sob every single time I read them.

message 29: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (roxannebcb) Plainsong by Kent Haruf. I actually had tears in my eyes - but tears of love or joy or something. I also laughed out loud while reading this book. I can't recommend it enough.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky | 36 comments I practically cry at the end of every good book I read, even when the ending is happy, just because I'm sad it's over. But the first book that popped into my head when I read this question was 'Clan of the Cave Bear' by Jean M. Auel. I read this book when I was very young - ten or eleven or so - and I remember lying in bed, being unable to continue reading because I was sobbing my poor little heart out. It was really the first time that happened to me. (many more since) I think I was expecting it when Issa died, but then Creb dies so soon after, and so unexpectedly, I couldn't handle it. On the lighter side, I also became obsessed with figuring out my totem animal after reading that book. :)

message 31: by Kirsta (new)

Kirsta (kb-reads) The Knitting Circle/Club (can't remember...) by Ann Hood. I had a puffy face for three days after that sob fest.

I couldn't finish Marley and Me. I got to the point where they only thing left to happen was the inevitable and I looked at my own yellow lab laying at my feet and thought that I didn't need to go any further. I will save it for the horrible day when I am required to reflect on our furry family members life.

message 32: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) I rarely cry with books. TV is a different story... I cry all the time. The only two books that got me teary-eyed were My Sister's Keeper and The Sweet Far Thing

message 33: by FromAna (last edited Jun 23, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

FromAna (fromanam) Marley and Me
I had to stop, wipe and sniffle, then continue reading

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjuliek) | 125 comments Weepies? Hmm...I'd have to go with: Harry Potter 5, 6, and 7 (alas, beloved characters biting the dust!), Tuesdays with Morrie and the 5 People You Meet in Heaven, the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare, the Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray...the Devil's Arithmetic....Staying Fat for Sarah Brynes...(I'm sure there's more). Hmm, I typically avoid sad, sappy stories, but all of the above just hit me with the emotional connections to all of the great characters and their tragedies and triumphs.

message 35: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (tanteteenie) | 217 comments The Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger. The book is so funny and heartwarming, and such a tear jerker too. Great summmer read though!

message 36: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments KrisT wrote: "I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I listened to it while walking in public several days a week and it was actually a bit embarrassing that I kept tearing up. Actually I didn't care beca..."

I have to agree - I just finished this book today, and there were many moments of near tears for me too.

message 37: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) Im currently reading the book thief...now Im scared haha.

My sisters Keeper, New Moon, HP 7 "the forest again..." wow I bawled my eyes out on that one. Theres so many more but those are the ones I really really cried

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Definately "Marley and Me" Somthing about animals dying that makes me sob like a baby.

message 39: by Tioni (new)

Tioni Ponce (dragonflilove) My sister's keeper was the first book I ever cried while readying

message 40: by VWrulesChick (last edited Jan 13, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

VWrulesChick | 351 comments The Shack- made me cry and laugh

as well as

My Sister's Keeper- not sure if I can see the movie though.

message 41: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) Marley and Me was a huge tear jerker for me...I'm a veterinary technician and as my job I have to help with euthanasia (putting animals to sleep) all the time but the end of Marley and Me (both book and movie) was just sooooo sad. I'm usually ok in rooms at work unless there's a lot of sobbing or there are kids involved, or I really was attached to the pet.

message 42: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Behr (micha1985) "Sepulchre" by Kate Mosse

message 43: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments The book that left me depressed for days was "Oscar and Lucinda," by Peter Carey. I was beyond tears-- the ending is so shocking (and perhaps, inevitable?) that despite my only liking (not loving) the book, I was really impressed by the ending.

message 44: by Elisa (new)

Elisa The Time Traveler's Wife
My Sister's Keeper

Both had me welling up majorly...

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Books that made me weep? If we include just tearing up, it would be the longest post in history. I cried an entire afternoon after a raccoon got hit by a car during an episode of Lassie - yes I'm THAT old. Most recently... The Time Traveller's Wife. I hit the person who recommended it.

message 46: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) The first book I remember making me cry was Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moons. There have been a few more since:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Moon Is Down
Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World
The Lovely Bones
The Time Traveler's Wife

The Lovely Bones, in particular, was a sobfest.

message 47: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments I cried reading the end of "Seven Little Australians"... Also Harry Potter 5 and 7 when favourite characters died. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult also made me tear up... Most recently I cried for an hour or so reading "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close", the grandpa always gets me, no matter how much I dislike Oskar.
I'm the biggest woos!

message 48: by Heathermomo (new)

Heathermomo The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot I just found it so tragic.

message 49: by Lin (new)

Lin | 205 comments I had to put down The Subtle Knife when I was rereading on a train because I could feel the tears coming (view spoiler)
Also Dune Messiah - I really did not know I was so invested in the characters!
Then as a personal fav Demon Forged, though I knew already I was way overinvested, that and A Dance with Dragons =3am feeling ill and tearful

message 50: by Heathermomo (new)

Heathermomo I agree about The Subtle Knife

« previous 1