Horror Leisure Book Club! discussion

Monthly reads > April Read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 65 comments It doesn't look like we have a March Read but what does everyone think about for an April Read?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I've missed several Reads and am in the mood to read and discuss with everyone.

message 3: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 231 comments Mod
O.k. then lets get some suggestions for April reads. I nomimate: Ravenous by Ray Garton.

message 4: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments I have 3 nominations this time.

Black Fire by James Kidman
Castaways by Brian Keene
Coffin Country by Gary A Braunbeck

Ravenous would be a good pick too. I haven't read any of these yet.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Just looked up Ravenous. I'd be interested to read a werewolf novel because there aren't too many around.

Did anyone join The Song of Kali Read last year? That book had some good elements of discussion and that's why I enjoyed it. Should we pick a book that's not just a garden variety horror novel? One that runs a little deeper than your typical bloody, high-body-count horror?

I'm thinking of Peter Straub or Robert McCammon. I hope I'm not coming across like a snob but that's just the English major coming out.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, am I in the Leisure thread? I'm always getting my horror threads mixed up. No, they're not.

Carry on, boys.

message 7: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) I do the same thing Tressa :)

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 65 comments We can move the discussion to the Horror Aficionados group Tressa. I am interested in doing an April read and discussion there also. :)

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Jason, that sounds great. I'm all for joining in on a discussion of a Leisure pick, but I'd really like to get another discussion going like we had for Song of Kali. I guess I just had more to say about Kali because it seemed like a deeper book. Ugh, I sound like a snob again. I truly like ALL kinds of horror.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason | 65 comments Tressa wrote: "Jason, that sounds great. I'm all for joining in on a discussion of a Leisure pick, but I'd really like to get another discussion going like we had for Song of Kali. I guess I just had more to say ..."

Any book in mind?

message 11: by Tressa (last edited Mar 18, 2009 05:53PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Jason, let me look at the list floating around the Horror Aficionado board. I'd be glad to vote on a Leisure book for an April read in this thread.

message 12: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Since we all have such a hard time deciding we ought to make a list, number them, then use a random number generator to pick our books :)

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Sounds like a good idea.

message 14: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

So, our nominations so far are:

Ravenous-Ray Garton
Black Fire by James Kidman
Castaways by Brian Keene
Coffin Country by Gary A Braunbeck

Any others before I start a poll?

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I say we vote on those four. Think I'll be voting for Ravenous. Thanks, Dylan.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Hmmm...that was hilarious...and you just yelled at me because I mentioned You Know Who at the Horror Aficionados...

Tressa wrote: "Oh, am I in the Leisure thread? I'm always getting my horror threads mixed up. No, they're not.

Carry on, boys."

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Why do men always think women are yelling at them? *tsk tsk*

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Because you do it so much....silly woman!

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I can't get mad because it's true.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Us men like to be yelled at. It's in our genes.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) That, and we also have selective hearing. We love to hear the comment, "How come you never listen to me?" I'd give the honest response, but I would REALLY get in trouble...

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Did you say something?

message 23: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Was someone talking?

message 24: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments I voted for Braunbeck, and always will.

message 25: by Patrick (last edited Mar 23, 2009 02:31PM) (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 21 comments I vote for Ravenous. It is an interesting outake on werewolves having to have sexual intercourse with victims to turn them into werewolves.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I was hoping Ravenous would win, but I think it's behind in the poll.

message 27: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments Isn't Ravenous a wendigo story? Wasn't the movie based on the book?

message 28: by John (new)

John | 2 comments Alan wrote: "Isn't Ravenous a wendigo story? Wasn't the movie based on the book? "

No. Tne movie Ravenous is older than Garton's book.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, that Ravenous movie. That's one of my favorites. Guy Pearce and Robert Carlisle were great, and so was that blond German killing machine.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) I always love a good werewolf story. To me, they are a much better monster than vampires. Skipp & Specter's Animals is my favorite werewolf novel! (I have Garton's novel but haven't read it yet)

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I don't know of too many werewolf novels. I like to watch and read about werewolves, even though they give me nightmares.

I can vividly recall a dream I had about twenty years ago where I'm driving like a maniac down a dirt road as the sun is setting, and a werewolf is running through the woods keeping pace with me, waiting for the sun to set. *shiver*

message 32: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Did that remake of Wolfman ever come out? I love me some Benicio del Toro! And Wolfman was such a tragic story.

Come to think of it, there is a sad lacking of good werewolf lit out there.

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) I don't think so, Kristen. I think someone should make Animals into a feature. I remember reading on either Skipp or Specter's website that they were working on a script and that they had some producer or some such interested in making that kick-ass werewolf novel into a movie. That would be awesome...

message 34: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments It looks like Castaways and Coffin County were the winners of the April Reads poll.

I recently finished Castaways and have yet to read Coffin County.

That being said, we're nearly to May. If we are going to keep these monthly reads going, maybe we should try to select them by the first week of the month?
What do you all think?

message 35: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments Selecting reads by the first day of the month sounds good to me. For May, I vote for Sacrifice by John Everson and Death Mask by Graham Masterson.

Thank you, John, for answering my question about whether Ravenous the book and Ravenous the movie are the same thing. My favorite werewolf movies are the Ginger Snaps trilogy.

message 36: by Brett (last edited Apr 25, 2009 04:40PM) (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments I just recently watched the Ginger Snaps movies! They showed both in a row and I liked them a lot.

I always liked The Howling a lot. Just the first one though. I think Wolfen is especially good. A cool premise of how werewolves deal with modern society.

For sheer entertainment though, you can't beat Dog Soldiers. That is at the top of my list right now.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Great werewolf flicks, and The Howling is quite simply a classic! I bought Ginger Snaps several years ago when it was recommended by a good buddy of mine. I saw part of one of the sequels...and it was okay. Dog Soldiers was just kick-ass!

message 38: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 28 comments Hey Alan - thanks for that nod for SACRIFICE! I hope you and everyone in the group enjoys the book. It was great fun to write!

message 39: by A.R. (last edited Apr 27, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments You're very welcome, John. I can't wait to crack the book. I'll get to it right after I finish Laymon's Dark Mountain.

Chris, Dog Soldiers was wonderful. I remember when good werewolf flicks were just starting to come out, and my biggest nod to the oldies would be An American Werewolf in London. The first Howling was awesome, but I thought the sequel sucked. Gingers Snaps 1 & 2 are still my favorites though. It was the first time I saw amiable females in a horror flick. The third Snaps movies was good too, but I didn't feel it was as good as the first two.

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Really? Was Ginger Snaps 2 the period piece? I saw part of that one and thought it was okay. And yeah, Dog Soldiers was a lot of fun. I don't think I ever saw Howling 2...but a while back saw part of Howling 4 or 5....it sucked. American Werewolf in London is a classic, great film, and amazing special FX...

message 41: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 28 comments Chris - Ginger Snaps 2 Unleashed continues the story of the original Ginger Snaps, and in my opinion, is the better movie. It goes a little deeper and darker than the first film. I love both of them. GS2 is one of the few sequels that I like as much or more than the original because it really moved the story in a new direction, instead of just being a retread of the first film. Unfortunately, Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning -- the 3rd film -- falls victim to the problem of most sequels. In the third film, they essentially just follow the same ruts as the original film, but they set it as a "prequel" in the past. I was really disappointed by that one, after the first two brilliant outings.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) Thanks, John, for the clarification. I will definitely have to check GS2, then. I would love to see S&S's Animals made into a feature....and I heard or read somewhere that they were collabing on that, in fact.

message 43: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments I agree about GS2. While the first one introduced the story and characters, the second was/is unusually good. It's sad that sequels are mostly crud, but GS2 definitely is the exception. I haven't seen GS3 and now I'm in no hurry to.

message 44: by A.R. (last edited Apr 28, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments Yes, the sequel crap trap. Definitely GS2 avoided that, got us hooked even further. For a while there, it was Emily Perkins mania! I was in her fan club, and we were acting crazy. Lost our minds for awhile. GS3 was strange, I'll admit. Made me say "Huh?"

message 45: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Hi everyone. So sorry I haven't been on in forever. I just have been so busy in school. Research paper and tests. Anyway I'm back, and will gladily take suggestions on what to do next. ^_^

message 46: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments May reads: Sacrifice by John Everson and Beastial by Ray Garton.

message 47: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

cool. :D

message 48: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) Almost done reading "Snow" by Ronald Malfi

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) How was it, Kasia? I bought just haven't read it yet. I love what Leisure has been doing for Horror. Great stuff! :)

message 50: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) Chris wrote: "How was it, Kasia? I bought just haven't read it yet. I love what Leisure has been doing for Horror. Great stuff! :)"

It's good, very fluid and easy to read, I have a chapter left and then that's it, I will know everything lol!

« previous 1