queer lit discussion

Introduce Yourself :)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Hello everyone,

My name is Ashley and I am a 21 year old lesbian. I love to read all the time and I love to discuss books. The kind of books that I like to read are memoirs, young adult fiction, gay&lesbian literature, series books, and most of all, lesbian romance novels.

message 2: by Jon-michael (new)

Jon-michael (The_Disciple) hello ashley i am jon-michael! nice to meat you!

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (jansteckel) | 10 comments Hi everybody,

I'm Jan Steckel, a bi writer and reader from Oakland, California, USA. I'm interested in all kinds of queer books, especially bi ones. Though it's hard to define what a "bi" book is. Is it one by a bi writer? With a bi character? Does that character have to be shown in sexual relationships with people of either sex? "No" is my knee-jerk answer here.

I'm a member of the queer women's writing collective Woman-Stirred at http://woman-stirred.blogspot.com. I recently won the 2008 Gertrude Press Fiction Chapbook Contest. Gertrude is a GLBT small press, and they'll be publishing my fiction chapbook Mixing Tracks next month. I also have a small poetry chapbook out from Zeitgeist Press called The Underwater Hospital, that has love poems both about women and men in it.

Looking forward to reading about all of your literary interests.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (gaygangster) | 2 comments hey people whats up my name is mike anthony

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (amcheri) I'm Cheri and I've been reading primarily lesbian novels. I'm always looking for lesbian novels that are not romance but have a difficult time finding them. So I look forward to seeing what others are reading.

message 6: by Gordon Matassa (new)

Gordon Matassa | 1 comments Hey everyone,
I'm Gordon. I love literature and I teach high school English at a private school in San Mateo. Between working and going to school full time, I feel like I've lost touch with my city. This seems like a good place to get in touch with other gay readers and writers in the area.

My primary interest right now are 19th Century travel narratives that told the rest of the country just how awesome it is in California (yeah I know, probably kind of boring to many). I also love anything about San Francisco and Yosemite past and present, and am intermittently trying to catch up on a lot of the classics I never read in college and grad school, as well as modern fun reading I've never before had the chance to pick up.

I look forward to seeing what everyone in the group is reading.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara Biyuts (larabiyuts) | 1 comments Hello. I am Lara. My novel La Lune Blanche is accepted for publication at Turner Maxwell Books.
"The novel is the world where pleasures of life and pleasures of art are just norms. Author chooses gays, gay admirers and aesthetes as the target group of her books, since her writings are aesthetically beautiful and with a purpose. And a lot of sensualists, mostly the male erotic lovers can take pleasure in reading the novel too. Although questions which are related to our real world are not so evident in the story, but there is nothing caused by any mortifying hallucinogens, and there is much capturing the heart and mindset of the readers, because the characters are humans, and not fairytale personages involved in various saving-the-world plotlines and only showing humanlike qualities. The young beautiful boy, whose mind is open to the world. Although rich, he knows how cruel the world can be. The handsome man, whose finances let him enjoy life without caring about the future and obscurity hidden behind the fine texture of the novels. They live learning each other and life, loving, feeling, suffering and getting horrified by real situations. The book is a great read especially if you find yourself at home alone by night and wishing to have something truly exciting. But once you start reading, prepare yourself for additional load of poetry and knowledge in realm of history and world literature. You’ll be surely spellbound and engrossed in such a wonderful tale of friends and everlasting love. A great read and highly recommended."~Turner Maxwell Books.
If any book reviews are forbidden on this forum, it's a pity.
La Lune Blanche

message 8: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Sims (NuWinePress) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Aimee Sims, I have a small publishing company called NuWine Press, we're about to launch our first book. The aim of our publishing company is to be The All-Inclusive, Gay Affrming Voice in Independent Christian Publishing. We held a poetry contest and We're hoping to release our book in June. I am gay, although I'm not crazy about labels either. I didn't intend to be "gay" I just happened to fall in love with a woman, and we've been together for 15 years by the grace of God. I have learned to be proud of who I am, and I look forward to sharing our literary adventures with you guys - feel free to check out our website: www.nuwinepress.com

message 9: by Gaa-chan (new)

Gaa-chan | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm gaa-chan ;3

message 10: by Ninevices (new)

Ninevices | 2 comments Hello queer lit lovers! I call myself Ninevices because it says more about who I am than what my passport does, so yeah. I'm glad I stumbled on this group - mostly due to my already being friends with Ashley! I have loads time to read these days and appreciate a well written book - the style means almost as much to me as the plot; which can become a sub plot in the best of them. I like queer books best.

message 11: by Jan (last edited Apr 01, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Jan (jansteckel) | 10 comments Ninevices wrote: "Hello queer lit lovers! I call myself Ninevices because it says more about who I am than what my passport does, so yeah. I'm glad I stumbled on this group - mostly due to my already being friends w..."

Welcome, Ninevices! Since I haven't posted here in a while, it's probably time to re-introduce myself. I'm Jan Steckel, an Oakland, California poet and writer. My first full-length poetry book The Horizontal Poet is now available from Zeitgeist Press. It's a finalist for the Lambda Literary Awards in the Bisexual Nonfiction category, but only because they don't have a Bisexual Poetry category -- yet!

You can order a signed copy from me for $14 + $2 shipping mailed to Jan Steckel/PO Box 18797/Oakland, CA 94619, or you can send it via PayPal to Jmsteckel at aol dot com. It will eventually appear on Amazon, but for now you can order copies directly from the small publisher at http://www.zeitgeist-press.com

message 12: by alxxla (last edited Jan 20, 2013 12:34PM) (new)

alxxla Hey everyone,

It seems like this thread has kinda died over time since the last post dates back quite a while ago, so I thought I might as well say hello and introduce myself, trying to revive it ;)

Well, I have to admit that I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to reading. I always used to be "too lazy" to actually pick up a book and start reading, but that totally changed about a month ago.

After graduating from university last fall, I found myself in some kind of black hole--sorry for this overly dramatic line lol--since absolutely nothing seemed to turn out the way I planned, or better, wished for. Anyways, I was looking for something to distract myself from all my whining and self-pity and so I discovered the world of M/M romance, which has completely sucked me in ever since.

I just recently finished Something Like Summer, Ethan, Who Loved Carter, and The Good Thief and now I'm on to reading Admit One and Faith & Fidelity.

If you know any of these books and want to chat a bit about them, just drop me a line; I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on them--or anything else for that matter.

Well, I guess that's it for now--I guess I'm drifting off into some kind of pointless babbling and I don't wanna bore you with it and end up annoying you. As I said before, just drop me a line or two if you feel like it--it'd surely brighten up my otherwise super boring day ;)

cya,
alx

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, Great group, I didn’t see an authors page, hope I am not breaking any rules…I am Jane Brooke, a 22 year old lesbian British savage writer of LGBT/LESBIAN/HETERO all genders erotica and I have this year 8 new books from Amazon and of course with my PIC on my page. My work described to me by my readers is banal, URBAN, RAW, Ultra sexual, profane, beautiful and finally bullet in the head MY GENERATION-REAL. I do a yearly jaunt through the underground sex, scene and fetish clubs of Europe, and infuse my work with what I see, as a voyeur in these freedom loving people’s private lives. My work is not for the weak-of-heart, so SEAT BELT REQUIRED, and since I am done whoring myself, a girl uses what she has, BIG SMILE, WTF just dropped an ash from my cigarette into my tequila shot, smoke in my eyes collateral damage of being a writer BIG SMILE CHeers Jane from London Death at the Sapphic Ball by Jane Brooke Warehouse Wonder World by Jane Brooke

message 14: by Kaera (new)

Kaera (dangitjim) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Kaera, 17yo queer girl from Canada :))