Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > My husband insists I wear makeup every day. Do I have to?>SALLY! Come back here!!!

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 22818 comments Mod
Q. I have been happily married for 22 years and we have two children. Almost every day (barring sickness and/or camping trips) I have risen, showered, shaved my legs, and spent nearly an hour putting on makeup and fixing my hair. I'm tired of it, so I recently stopped doing it on Sundays. Mind you, I don't look like a total slob, I just put on moisturizer, put my hair up in a pony tail and wear track suits or other casual clothing. I still think I look better than half the women I encounter out and about in public, but my husband is having a fit about my grooming-free Sundays. He is worried that this is the beginning of a "downward spiral" for me into a messy, slobby woman with permanent razor stubble. He points out that he still showers every day (true—and it takes him 15 minutes from start to finish) and that, while he doesn't shave on weekends, I've told him that his stubble is sexy (it is) but he finds nothing sexy about my new look. I have no intention of stopping doing all of the stuff I've usually done the other six days a week, I'm just tired of wasting all that time on it when we historically do nothing more than a little yard work or possibly a trip to the grocery store. I think he's being ridiculous and his nagging about it is really getting on my nerves. He says it's not fair of me to change things in the middle of the game like this. I say it's not fair of him to expect me to tart myself all up every. single. day. Who is right here?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Either you're property, or you're not.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments You should only "tart" yourself up for yourself.

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail | 1487 comments Except if you are a trophy wife. Then you have sold your soul.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments There is that.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail | 1487 comments From Wikipedia

"Trophy wife"

Trophy wife is an expression used to refer to a wife, usually young and attractive, who is regarded as a status symbol for the husband, who is often older and wealthy.

The use of the term also usually reflects negatively on the character or personality of the husband, and has a connotation of narcissism and desire to impress others, and that the husband would not be able to attract the sexual interest of the attractive woman but for his wealth or position. It can also be used to imply that the trophy wife in question has little personal merit besides her physical attractiveness, and is sometimes synonymous with the term "gold digger."

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jan 21, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

Example:

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Jan 22, 2013 10:07AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I'd take advantage of this opportunity and say, okay... but I'd insist the make up only goes on after he's put on his tie. I'd insist he wear a tie every day.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments A wetsuit, flippers, masquerade mask and a tie.

I tarted myself up today in honor of this thread.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17292 comments Mod
OMG. That is Padma's husband?

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments SALLY!!! OMG, Sally! I've missed you so, Sally!!! :D

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ^^What Heidi said^^

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Same here.

message 14: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4073 comments And here.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Sally? :(

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "OMG. That is Padma's husband?"

Her ex-husband. The father of her baby is Adam Dell:

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm going to bet that only looks mattered to Salman when they married. Perhaps she is funny, interesting, fun to be around. But if she didn't look like what she looks like, he wouldn't have married her. Looks are the dealbreaker for a man such as this, however nice it may be to have those side extras like a pleasant personality or a sense of humor.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments So, you think a woman might be more inclined to look past a man's appearance and be attracted to his other traits but not the reverse?

message 19: by Gail (new)

Gail | 1487 comments Spot on Susan!

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Well I wouldn't say most men would do this, but there is a contingent for whom looks are the dealbreaker. I believe based on anecdotal evidence that the contingent of such women is smaller.

message 21: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4017 comments BunWat wrote: "Or a wetsuit and flippers"

HAHAHA! Oh Bunny!

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (Emily_Elst) | 1032 comments Let's see... at least an extra hour of (unnecessary) beautifying a day.

I think it's worth it on the presumption that he is spending at least an extra hour a day on chores (made-up non-toilet-cleaning Em coming up!) and general household up-keep.

message 23: by Margot (new)

Margot | 103 comments My ex-husband now has a trophy wife

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments BunWat wrote: "Or a wetsuit and flippers"

Yeah, but I'd think a guy would want to wear a wetsuit and flippers. I was trying to think of the one thing most men I know bitch about wearing... and, well... tie. That's what came to mind.

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11424 comments Plaid bow tie.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ^I though that, too, Dubs. And perhaps the wetsuit could cause chafing. Nobody likes chafing.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How about a chafing dish?

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Mmmmm, carrots.

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11424 comments He agrees!

[image error]

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

You can tell those carrots were photoshopped in there. Kind of funny.

My mother gave me a chafing dish. In other news, did you know that a chafing dish was a common gift to a girl going off to college in 1897, because college girls ate so fricking much? They would have big midnight suppers in the dorms and cook up a frenzy.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Did they fry the frenzy or roast it?

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Broiled frenzy might be good.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

They chafed it.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments It doesn't surprise me considering they were all in the dorm by midnight.

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11424 comments If they had chaps, they wouldn't chafe.

message 36: by emm (new)

emm (goodreadscomemmjae) | 279 comments I don't see what the problem could be.... everyone takes a break from regular habits especially on the weekends. As healthy as I "try" to eat during the week, all rules are forgotten on the weekends. Enjoy it. Relax.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) .....

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) .....

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6891 comments Oh, my.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes.

message 41: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3087 comments My guy should wear makeup. He's not so pretty.