Love Inspired Historicals discussion

600 Member Party and Quiz Tournament!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Jan 25, 2013 11:26AM) (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Welcome to this celebration of our group passing the 600 member mark (only 6 more to go at the moment). We'll have a bunch of goodies to send our 600th member as well as giveaways for some of our party guests.

As part of the entertainment, we'll also be having a quiz tournament to see how well our readers know the books published by Love Inspired Historical in 2012. I will post a link to a new quiz each day this week and there will be random drawings for prizes from among those participating. The more you play, the better your chances!

Then stop by this discussion to talk about the quizzes, chat with authors about their latest projects, find out about upcoming books and generally have some fun.

Here are the links to the quizzes (I'll add a new one each day in this first post):

Monday: http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2358...

Tuesday: http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2364...

Wednesday: http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2376...

Thursday: http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2377...

Friday: http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2378...

Good luck!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

In hope the link works...

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (CherylStJohn) | 222 comments The link worked! I invited some friends.

Looks fun!

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Thanks, Cheryl! Since I've already "taken" the quiz to test it out, the link takes me to my scoring page.

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4840 comments fun quiz. it took me to the quiz.

message 6: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments This is so neat Deb, I have read most of these books and guessed at ones I had not, I see Cheryl is here, waving to Cheryl, will others be coming? will be nice to see comments from many other members who usually not here-will invite some folks too.

message 7: by Deborah (last edited Jan 21, 2013 12:54PM) (new)

Glad you enjoyed the quiz, Ausjenny and Paula! I see some other people have taken it, too. I've done other quizzes on Goodreads and thought it might be fun for us to try.

I've invited the LIH authors to drop by our party so I hope some of them will be able to. I asked them to take this opportunity to let members/readers know what they're working on and what new books they have coming out in 2013.

My next Glass Slipper Brides book, The Earl's Honorable Intentions will be out in June (can't wait to see what the cover will look like!) I'm about 2/3 of the way through writing the book after that, which has already been titled The Duke's Marriage Mission.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Thanks Deborah - a good quiz!

message 9: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4840 comments it was fun to make my brain work early in the morning!

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri (Terrie) | 735 comments I did took it.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Deborah wrote: "Glad you enjoyed the quiz, Ausjenny and Paula! I see some other people have taken it, too. I've done other quizzes on Goodreads and thought it might be fun for us to try.

I've invited the LIH au..."

Hi Deb,
Great party you've got going here! I didn't take the quiz because I didn't want to be in the running for a book...but I'm doing them in my head! I can't wait to read your new book (and I think I'll be sure I read it before I put out my next one!!!!)

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Hi Mary! Thanks for dropping by. Go ahead and take the quizzes, if you like. I'll make sure to separate out the authors from the readers. :)

I know your latest book Beauty in Disguise is out this month. Do you have anything else in the works that you can tell our members a bit about?

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Hey, while we're waiting for more folks to join the party how about a little entertainment?

Have you seen this book video for Marrying Miss Marshal by Lacy Williams?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE...

Marrying Miss Marshal by Lacy Williams

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Thanks for the fun quiz. It was fun to look back at the books from last year. Some are still on my TBR pile and I must have gone to fast switching questions because the 9th one didn't come up for me. Or at least I didn't see it. Will blame it on tax time since I am starting to get a little crazy trying to get everyone's W-2s out. :) Can't wait till your next Glass Slipper Book Deborah!!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Lol I didn't read half if those! I stunk in that quizz!

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments Fun quiz, Thanks

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Good try, though, Jennifer! I hope maybe some of the questions might interest people in reading the books they haven't gotten around to. ;)

Tomorrow I'll post a link to another quiz and announce giveaway winners for the first day of our tournament!

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4840 comments I have some still unread.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Jennifer wrote: "Lol I didn't read half if those! I stunk in that quizz!"

I had to look up some of the answers cause I haven't read some of the books. So you're not alone

message 20: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1641 comments Mod
Lyn's here! I can't win any fun! BTW, my latest LIH Their Frontier Family is still on sale for $2.99 on Kindle and Nook!

Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides)
Their Frontier Family by Lyn Cote

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Thanks for dropping by Lyn! That's a great deal on Their Frontier Family for anyone who doesn't already have it.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Okay, I'm playing around with some Goodreads features I've never tried before. I've created a poll for readers to tell the authors what actor you would like to see as inspiration for a future LIH hero.

You'll find the poll here. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/24... It's the second one.

It wouldn't let me do a completely open ended one, so I just used four actors I could think of with recent movies. But there is a space for a write-in, so please use it to add your favorite.

I'll be back later with the link to today's quiz and to congratulate our giveaway winners. We still have a few spots until we hit our 600th member, so tell your friends!

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1100 comments Thanks for putting this together, Deborah! The quiz looks like lots of fun. Your next book sounds wonderful too. Ah, I see my TBR pile growing. :-)

Next up for me is the second book in this year's LIH "Orphan Train" series that begins in April. My book, The Marriage Barter, is the second in the series and comes out in May. It is a marriage-of-convenience story, where the heroine has to marry a man she doesn't know in order to keep her daughter.

message 24: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Christine thanks for letting us know about the next "Orphan Train" one, I love to read those and marriage of convenience is on top of my list to find...I am off to do the quiz today...thanks Deb for all your work on these..
Waving to Lyn always good to see ya....

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomValerie_Hansen) | 111 comments I tried to get on another way and my computer told me the server hates me! At least that's what it felt like. :) I don't have a current Love Inspired Historical to give away and Goodreads won't let me offer my historical ebook, WAGES OF SIN, so I'll just wish everyone well and slink off into the sunset.
Blessings,
Valerie Hansen

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomValerie_Hansen) | 111 comments I uploaded the ebook cover, I think. I hope nobody is going to be mad at me for mentioning a different source. I'm still writing for Love Inspired. In fact, I have a suspense coming out in April.
Blessings,
Val

message 27: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 955 comments Good Morning, Deb!

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Hi Valri and Valerie!

Sorry to hear the server is being mean to your computer, Valerie Hansen but so glad you were able to get here in spite of it. I'd love to hear more about WAGES OF SIN. For our readers, here's a link to the cover: http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/2...

Christine Johnson, thanks for dropping by! I love the sound of The Marriage Barter and the whole Orphan Train series idea.

message 29: by Deborah (new)

DAY 1 WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT!

The quiz participant winner for Day 1 is Kimberly. She'll be receiving a signed copy of Christine Johnson's All Roads Lead Home
All Roads Lead Home by Christine Johnson

The discussion participant winner is Jane, who will receive a copy of one of my backlist books of her choice!

Congratulations, ladies! I'll be sending you Goodreads messages to get your mailing addresses.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

DAY 2 QUIZ LINK:

http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/2364...

Good luck, everyone! I'll be back later with a link to another book video and a cool Pinterest board...

Have you voted in our Hero Inspiration Poll yet? ;)
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/24...

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy I took the Day 2 quiz. I did not do too good. Lol. Got a 20%. I get points for trying, right?

message 32: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 955 comments I did better than I thought I would on today's quiz! Some were pure guesses!

message 33: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Oh well, didn't do so well on the quiz today!

Have voted in the Hero Inspiration Poll - one name jumped off the list at me! I was so glad to see him (Richard Armitage) on there.

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Deborah wrote: "Hey, while we're waiting for more folks to join the party how about a little entertainment?

Have you seen this book video for Marrying Miss Marshal by Lacy Williams?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?l..."

Thanks for posting this Deborah - I enjoy watching book videos, they bring the book to life & capture the essence of the story.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Thanks so much for the update Deborah I will have to check out the quiz and poll later today when I have more time since I am currently on lunch at work.

Also on a sad note Janet Trondstad just let us know that her sister who had been battling cancer went to be with the Lord yesterday afternoon. If you would like to send a card or help out with flowers send a message to Jillan Hart and she will get you the details.

message 36: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4840 comments love the poll. the computer is having a go slow and keeps stopping on my. love the heros poll and have to say love that an aussie is on it.

message 37: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Henrie | 61 comments Popping in to say I love the hero inspiration poll! :) Can't wait to see who wins.

Next up for me is a WWI inspirational romance triology with Grand Central Publishing, coming in 2014, then I hope to follow that up with another LIH western.

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (CherylStJohn) | 222 comments Hi Paula!

Whoo hoo, winners!

Colorado Courtship: Winter of Dreams\The Rancher's Sweetheart my January book

message 39: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4840 comments Sounds interesting Stacy, WW1 is interesting partly cos Of Australias involvement and the fact we lost so many but its also when we established ourshelves as a nation.

message 40: by Deborah (new)

Amy, you absolutely get points for trying! We're handing out goodies on the basis of participation, not the most right answers.

Yay, Valri! I do quite a few quizzes on Goodreads and sometimes do better for the books I've never read than the ones I have. :D

Wendy, always happy to meet another Richard Armitage fan. I haven't written a hero for LIH with him as my inspiration, but he was for Hadrian Northmore, the hero of my HH book Bought: The Penniless Lady which sold really well. Have you seen The Hobbit yet?

message 41: by Deborah (new)

Laura, thanks for letting us know about Janet's sister. I knew Janet was doing hospice care. She emailed me that she was sorry to miss the party. I'll be keeping Janet and her family in my thoughts and prayers and will get in touch with Jillian.

message 42: by Deborah (new)

Ausjenny, I could think of quite a few Aussies to put on a poll of amazing heroes! It just occurred to me that both Valjean and Javert in Les Miserable are from Australia. I wonder if they're ever worked together before?

message 43: by Deborah (last edited Jan 22, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Stacy Henrie, congratulations on the trilogy for GCP!! Glad to hear you'll be doing another western for LIH as well.

Cheryl St.John, congratulation on Colorado Courtship: Winter of Dreams\The Rancher's Sweetheart making the Bookscan Top 100!
Colorado Courtship Winter of Dreams\The Rancher's Sweetheart by Cheryl St.John

message 44: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Henrie | 61 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Sounds interesting Stacy, WW1 is interesting partly cos Of Australias involvement and the fact we lost so many but its also when we established ourshelves as a nation."

For the second book in the triology, I came across some stories about Aussie nurses serving in France! In fact, one of those stories was my inspiration for a scene near the end when the hero rescues the heroine at the front lines. :)

message 45: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Wendy, always happy to meet another Richard Armitage fan. I haven't written a hero for LIH with him as my inspiration, but he was for Hadrian Northmore, the hero of my HH book Bought: The Penniless Lady which sold really well. Have you seen The Hobbit yet?

No I haven't seen The Hobbit yet. I can definitely see why you've used him as a hero before - I think he would work well in an LIH too! He was a great hero in BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South!

message 46: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Henrie | 61 comments Wendy and Deborah -
Love North & South and Richard Armitage as its hero! That kiss at the end of the movie is one of my favorites. :)

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Ausjenny wrote: "love the poll. the computer is having a go slow and keeps stopping on my. love the heros poll and have to say love that an aussie is on it."

She's done well because Brits have made it on the list too! (One being an absolute favourite of mine!)

As for computer's playing up, earlier I kept having 2 screens appear for each thing - was getting in such a muddle - so I think I've clicked on the poll twice!

message 48: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Stacy wrote: "Wendy and Deborah -
Love North & South and Richard Armitage as its hero! That kiss at the end of the movie is one of my favorites. :)"

Mine too!

message 49: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 338 comments Deborah wrote: "Stacy Henrie, congratulations on the trilogy for GCP!! Glad to hear you'll be doing another western for LIH as well.

Cheryl St.John, congratulation on Colorado Courtship: Winter of Dreams\The Ran..."

Congratulations Stacy & Cheryl!

message 50: by Deborah (new)

Oh yeah, Wendy and Stacy - I LOVE North and South! I bought the DVD and rewatch it often. I wish BBC would release a soundtrack album because the music is so beautiful.

I loved seeing Brendan Coyle show up in Downton Abbey, because he was so good in N&S. I enjoyed watching how Nicholas Higgins and John Thornton came to respect one another and find common ground.

« previous 1 3 4