Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Chalion Books > Favorite Quotes from the Chalion books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite quotations for the Chalion universe?

I'll start off with one right at the beginning of Curse of Chalion:

Caz speaking to the banner-carrier of the Daughter's Order (Ch. 1, pg. 3 of my copy):

"May the blessings of the lady of Spring fall upon your head, young sir, in the same spirit as your bounty to a roadside vagabond, and as little begrudged."

message 2: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
"When the souls rise up in glory, yours shall not be shunned nor sundered, but shall be the prize of the gods' gardens. Even your darkness shall be treasured then, and all your pain made holy."

message 3: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
I just read a great bit this morning, in POS, when Ista discovers the demon in Illvin's horse and tells it that if it doesn't behave she'll do bad things to it and "feed it to the gods."

The groom nearby corrects her, "Dogs."

She adds, "Yes, those too."

Not her exact words as I don't have the book here, but AHH! How maginificent.

message 4: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
"Time is where you take it. It will not linger for you."

"Are we winning? - It depends what you think is the prize."

And the one that brought water into my eyes:
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory as you stand.He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honored, and best-beloved. In this I speak true."
Finally. After all those years he waited with his best clothes never worn but packed, waiting for his earthly father to call him to his court. Lived for that moment with all his heart, not aware that he is completely forgotten and forsaken. But not by his Father. So beautiful. Such a good feeling.

message 5: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
Yes, that was a beautiful moment. Can't help but admire Arhys as a person - another man might have gotten lost in bitterness over the abandonment by his father. Arhys, on the other hand, turns into an accomplished adult well-able to rule his land.

message 6: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (last edited May 21, 2009 03:49PM) (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
I see it partially as his self-delusion that Arvol would have summoned him if he (Arvol) would not have died. So he did his best to live up to the memory of his virtuous father, who according to what Arhys believed, actually loved him very much, but was a very busy man. Heartbreaking. In the process, Arhys became more virtuous then his role-model. Except in the matter of ladies, poor man, he never overcome his other head, the one without brains, guiding him on that one LOL