Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Vorkosigan Universe > Favorite Quotes from the Vorkosigan novels

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
what are some of your favorite quotes from the Vorkosiverse books?

message 2: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
There are so many...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing well"
"Some people grow into their dreams, instead of out of them"
"...tests are a gift. And great tests are a great gift. To fail the test is a misfortune. But to refuse the test is to refuse the gift, and something worse, more irrevocable, than misfortune."
"But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life. Being dead is quite painless."
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
and many more...
Many of my jumbled thoughts and feelings I found concisely articulated and defined in these books.

message 3: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

I love this scene at the very end of ch. 7 of The Warriors Apprentice:

"Well, at least he'll stop bouncing off the walls, and give us all a break," said Mayhew cheerfully. "I've never seen anybody overrev on that stuff the way he did."

"Oh, was that liquor of yours a stimulant?" asked Elena. "I wondered why he didn't fall asleep."

"Couldn't you tell?" chuckled Mayhew.

"Not really."

Miles twisted his head to take in Elena's upside-down worried face, and smile in weak reassurance. Sparkly black and purple whirlpools clouded his vision.

Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?"

message 4: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

LOL Poor man, he had just realized what he had got himself into...

message 5: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

exactly!! I always laugh.
it seems to reveal so much about Miles ...

message 6: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

And what it takes to be around him. I was actually never surprised that Elena did not accept his marriage offer. After all, she had to put up with him all her life. Although, he had become much more appealing with age... after he found his quiet, calm place. And that is one of my favorite parts, when he comes back from the meeting with Haroche (the bribe attempt), and then later, in Haroche's cell when he concludes: "You have no mass, and cannot move me". Young Miles makes my had spin, but the mature Miles is a breathtaking character.

message 7: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
Just got to a part in "The curse of Chalion" with a favorite quote: Cazaril says to Umegat, "You shine like a burning torch," and Umegat after a response says, "Sir, you shine like a burning city."

(not sure if I got the exact words!)

message 8: by C12vt (new)

C12vt | 11 comments One of my favorites is "When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action."

message 9: by vorthys (new)

vorthys | 48 comments vorbore wrote: "Some people grow into their dreams, instead of out of them"

The continuation of this is also good:

"That depends on whether your dreams are reasonable," said Vorsoisson...

"No, it doesn't." Miles smiled slightly. "It depends on how hard you grow."

message 10: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

As you read (or re-read) Komarr, did any particular quotes stand out to you?

message 11: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (last edited Sep 03, 2009 06:22AM) (new)

Here's one (has it been mentioned yet?) from Komarr:

"Oh," said Ekaterine faintly. "Drat."

There was a meditative pause before Lord Vorkosigan spoke. "Madame Vorsoisson," he said mildly at last, "has it ever occurred to you that you may be just a touch oversocialized?"

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob (astaldoore) | 15 comments I love this one from Mountains:
"Ordinary people need extraordinary examples. So they can say to themselves, well, if he can do that, I can surely do this. No excuses."

message 13: by Bob (new)

Bob (astaldoore) | 15 comments Oh ha, I just came across one of my favorites:
"Miles pulled off his hat and swept her a bow with it, 'Yes, thank you.'
'You moon people behind you when you do that," she commented dispassionately.'"

message 14: by Dacarson (new)

Dacarson | 2 comments From Civil Campaign
"You know those stories about the Count who assigns three impossible tasks to his daughter's unsuitable suitor? Don't try that with Miles. Just...don't."

message 15: by Sheris225 (new)

Sheris225 | 2 comments "Oh yeah,Da, I want this one."

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 16 comments – Mirror Dance “It’s the golden rule, boy. He who has the gold makes the rules.”

“It is a particular sin to permit grief for what is gone to poison the praise for what blessings remain to us.”

“If you could go back and change things…….. The only moment in time you could change things was the elusive now, which slipped through your fingers as fast as you could think about it……..”

message 17: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Hutchison | 8 comments A quote I always found a bit strange was the scene in Memory where Miles has gone to the convenience store to buy reddi-meals and instant groats, and the teller gives him a look and says "Ah... Bachelor?"

I had always felt like this was something that nobody would ever actually say, until I was standing in line in a grocery store with my wife and she looked at the pile of hot pockets and instant ramen the man in front of us was purchasing and made exactly the same observation.

message 18: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Hutchison | 8 comments Bobby wrote: "Oh ha, I just came across one of my favorites:
'You moon people behind you when you do that," she commented dispassionatel..."

Which book is that from?

message 19: by Meliors (new)

Meliors | 4 comments Samuel wrote: "Bobby wrote: "Oh ha, I just came across one of my favorites:
'You moon people behind you when you do that," she commented ..."

It's from my all time favourite Miles story: The Borders of Infinity.

message 20: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Hutchison | 8 comments See, I have all the omnibus editions, and that one isn't included for some reason

message 21: by Meliors (new)

Meliors | 4 comments Samuel wrote: "See, I have all the omnibus editions, and that one isn't included for some reason"

Yes, I had a lot of trouble finding it and finally bought Miles Errant just for Borders of Infinity even though I already owned the other two stories (Brothers in Arms and Mirror Dance) as stand alone books. Worth it.
In BoI Miles is stripped of both identities (and everything but his wits). It's set just before Miles meets Mark and his double identity starts to slowly unravel in the face of an external double. Small, but perfectly formed, it is pivotal in the series, both encapsulating Miles' character to that point and foreshadowing his future development. If I was forced to pick only one Miles story to reread for the rest of my life, this would be it (at least, now that I know I have a new Cordelia book to look forward to).

message 22: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 28 comments One of my favorite scenes is when Cordelia asks Miles just how bad Ekaterin's marriage was. Miles replies something like it was one of those where one wonders "Am I crazy? Am I crazy .....?" And Cordelia responds "Oh, one of those." The scene gives the most concise description of that type of subtle emotional abuse and manipulation I have seen.

There are just so many wonderful quotes in her books. It is why I have read them over and over.

message 23: by Samuel (last edited Mar 26, 2015 04:11PM) (new)

Samuel Hutchison | 8 comments I think about the line of Orico's leopard 'writhing in feline ecstasy' every time I give my own cat a really good scritching.

I also really like Mark's line about Miles' Dendarii ladies as being "the most appalling bunch of bloodthirsty Amazons", but I've always had a weakness for that sort of woman. That's probably why I married one...

message 24: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Mansfield | 8 comments From Memory:

And then what?
I face fire. Climb that wall.
And then what?
I do it again.
And then what?
Again.
And then what?
It's logically impossible to prove a negative.
I'm tired of playing wall.

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 16 comments "If you choose the action, you choose the consequences of that action."
I understood that from early on. I wish I had understood the chorally Bujold gives more clearly.
"If you want the results you had damn well better choose the action."
Not sure those are perfect quotes. I'm doing it from memory of many re-readings.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 1 comments "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." Aral

"Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards." Aral

And the one that had me bawling my eyes out:

"The man has carried me since I was five years old. It's my turn." Gregor

message 27: by Katrine (new)

Katrine Cady | 3 comments LMB's books are filled with so many words of wisdom. My favorite is when you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action and that if you desire a consequence you'd better take the action that will result in that consequence. Certainly a profound lesson that we all can absorb.

message 28: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 1 comments "You're there in the room. You do something about it"--paraphrased from "Falling Free."

message 29: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Schmidbauer (mindyjoschmid) | 2 comments “But I’ve always thought—tests are a gift. And great tests are a great gift. To fail the test is a misfortune. But to refuse the test is to refuse the gift, and something worse, more irrevocable, than misfortune..." From Shards of Honor, but repeated in various forms throughout the series.

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Langley (vorkosinut) | 1 comments All true wealth is biological. Aral to Mark

message 31: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Mansfield | 8 comments Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. - Miles (Memory)