What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Chipotle Tamale Pie - Ingrid Hoffman

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) I got this recipe from a friend, who found it on the Internet. Not sure what website it came from though. The web page credits Ingrid Hoffman.

INGREDIENTS:
1 TBS unsalted butter, at room temp.
1 TBS olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 TSP ground cumin
1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 (8-oz) can diced tomatoes
2 chipotle chilies (see below)
1 TSP adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I use 2 of the peppers from the can)
1 Cup grated Cheddar
1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (8.5-oz) package cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 Cup milk

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease an 8-inch baking dish with the butter and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, onions, green pepper, garlic, and cook until the turkey is no longer pink and is cooked through (approx. 8 min). Drain off any excess fat and sprinkle the mixture with cumin.

Add the beans, tomatoes, chilies and adobo sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese and cilantro.

Spread the turkey mixture in the baking dish, pressing down with a spoon to make a compact layer.

Combine the cornbread mix with milk and egg. Spread the cornbread batter over the turkey mixture and bake until cornbread is golden brown, approx. 20-25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4-6 people

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie This sounds so good to me - I'm going to make it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Michelle: I made this for dinner, and my family really liked it (well, little Ella, who's four, liked the cornbread topping but she doesn't really eat anything that's even mildly spicy). Seconds were had, and I'd definitely make it again.

My only question about the recipe was if the chipotle chilies should be chopped (which I did), not put into the dish whole.

I also looked up Ingrid Hoffman on the internet. She has a show on the food network called Simply Delicioso! More of her recipes can be found here:

http://www.delicioso.com/

She's also publishing a book in February called Simply Delicioso: A Collection of Everyday Recipes with a Latin Twist. Even though it's not out just yet, I added it to the group bookshelf.

Thanks for the recipe!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Hi Val: I chop up the chipotle chilis and then add them to the mixture. Glad you liked it!