We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Global Warming

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Global Warming is most definitely one of the biggest controversies in the world today. Is it real, or is it just make-believe? Are the politicians leading us away from the truth, and are we blind enough to believe what could be lies? Well, my question is: Have you even researched any information on the statement ‘Global Warming’? Of course, you’d have to be careful where you read your information – there are too many websites out there telling us that if we don’t sell our cars and go into Kyoto Protocol that we’ll all die. My other question is: Did they ever find the cars that dinosaurs used to create the Global Warming that killed them all?

Basically, my beliefs in Global Warming are simple: Global Warming is real, but mankind is not the cause of most of it (if none at all).

What do you all think?

message 2: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i think that we should just leave it 2 the scientists and never have gotten it mixed up with politics in the first place.

message 3: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
Politics makes everything worse. Everyone has agendas. I love science, it's simple and truthful.

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz not always lauren. but in this particular case, i agree.

message 5: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

The CONCEPT of science is about truth. *edit*

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i liked the way u said it in 3 better....

message 7: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

In 3?

message 8: by Jayda (new)

Jayda It may be the concept, but it's not always necessarily the truth. If you think about it, scientists change their thoughts/facts/theories on things so much that you can't honestly keep up with it. They say that global warming is man-made, but they said that we had to put CO2 emissions into the air to melt the polar ice caps in the 70's with global cooling. We went through one phase and made it without an ice age, so why can't we make it through another phase and get through it without the world flooding?

The earth isn't fully understood yet, and I think that this is just yet another cycle that the world goes through naturally.

And the dinosaur/car thing is about how scientists say that dinosaurs died because of global warming, hence that we'll die if we don't fix global warming. Did dinosaurs have cars back then? I think not.

message 9: by Jayda (new)

Jayda If you don't care than how will you learn if we need to fix it because we'll die? o.0 Your post contradicted itself in so many ways. You should care, one way or another. I care because I don't want people wasting their money or time trying to fix something that we cannot affect.

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lauren-comment # 3

jayda-lolz about the dinosaurs and i guess that's true about scientists changing theories a lot....

aryll-the thing is is that we don't know if we caused it or not, and how severe it's going 2 b.

message 11: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

oo

"If you think about it, scientists change their thoughts/facts/theories on things so much that you can't honestly keep up with it."

At least science has the ability to reevaluate itself. If evidence comes up, it is happy to make a theory or idea more correct. It is good because it always applies, because it has the ability to change and stay current. (ex) Has religion ever admitted that it was wrong and changed a piece of the Bible/Torah/whatever? Change keeps it from being outdated in irrelevant.

message 12: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Has the bible ever been proven wrong? Besides, my point was that global warming could be a "huge" issue to scientists right now, but in a couple of months we could be going into another global cooling stage. For all we know, scientists are wrong when they say that our CO2 emissions are the cause of global warming. I'm not going to get rid of my car because someone says that I'm melting the ice caps. I never said that they weren't happy to change their facts, I just said that they change their facts a lot and I'm not quite sure what to believe is actually a sure fact anymore.

message 13: by Zarha, the groove bringer (last edited Mar 13, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

Zarha, the groove bringer | 67 comments I watched A couple documentaries about it (no, none of them were inconvenient truth) and from what I understand is that the Co2 levels are always rising, but the cars make them rise even faster, so it really throws off the balance that there is between trees taking in co2 and c02 being created. So I really do think it's a problem, but I'm not exactly sure how big a problem

message 14: by Jayda (new)

Jayda But that doesn't mean that it's melting polar ice caps.

Al Gore of all people has the largest carbon footprint than any group of citizens in the world. Just for his Nobel Peace Prize dinner he flew every food dish to him and his party. That included things from several different states and countries. He has a larger carbon footprint than the medium wealth society had put together in America. If he really thought Global Warming was real than he and all of the other environmental activists would stop using so much fuel and actually do something about it.

message 15: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments Eh. I had to watch Inconvenient Truth. It was extremely boring.

Zarha, the groove bringer | 67 comments I heard really bad things about it so I didn't watch it.

message 17: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

"Has the bible ever been proven wrong?"

It proves itself wrong. It's riddled with contradictory statements.

message 18: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Explain to me these contradictory statements, if you please.

message 19: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Sorry 'bout that. But here it is.

http://www.infidels.org/library/moder...

I like when they said insects had 4 feet. :)

message 20: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I wish that I could respond to that without being off-topic x.x

message 21: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

We have another topic here we could move to, evolution vs creationism might work...

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I've done alot of research on Global Warming. I've read things written by people that think it's real and also people that think it's fake. After all of my research, I have decided that I don't think that it is real.

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i have decided 2 wait and c.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that global warming is our number one issue. If we don't do something fast, we are all screwed. I think that for the most part, it is man made. And the solution has to be also man created. If it's not made made, does that mean we shouldn't do anything? We shouldn't be fighting about the cause, we should be looking for a solution.

message 25: by Jayda (new)

Jayda A solution that probably doesn't exist. And even if it does exist it won't work until all of America, AND all of Asia and Russia (and other countries, mind you) go with it. Some say that Kyoto Protocol is the simplest way to get rid of a great majority of problems, but most of all, global warming. Kyoto Protocol is one of the stupidest ideas that scientists have ever come up with. Honestly, if people think that going down to the level of third world countries is going to work, they're wrong. We've been building ourselves up and then we're going to fall down again? How do scientists expect to be able to do expirements and such without computers? Hm? I don't know. They'd cheat, probably, which is what they seem to be doing already. They claim that global warming is SUCH big issue (which is most certainly shouldn't be in politics) but then they go off in their private jets across the country, or world, they buy things from all over the planet, they have huge homes.

Saying CO2 emissions are the primary cause of temperature change is like saying lung cancer causes smoking, as Dr. Bob Carter puts it.

Environmentalists believed another ice age was right around the corner because temperatures had trended down from around 1940 through 1975. At that exact time, CO2 emissions were skyrocketing. Put another way, as CO2 emissions went up, temperatures went down. So why are environmentalists saying that CO2 emissions are the cause of global warming, especially when in the 1970s they were planning on melting the polar icecaps to help with global cooling? Now they’re saying that C02 emissions are what’s melting them: well, it took away global cooling, right? And did that ice age ever come? No.

I feel that this is the exact same thing as global cooling was in the 70's. A lot of talk, but not a lot of action, and that it'll just blow away soon enough.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I agree!

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yep. but, @ the moment, i like bing able 2 mayb wear sneakers and not boots next week ^_^

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda... how much research have you done on this subject? Have you seen anything about what the world is going to be like when the temperature changes two, three, four degrees? You admit that things are going to get really bad? So why shouldn't we do something? What is the point of just saying it will blow over? I would say at this point it's obvious this will not blow over. Later, I'll get some more information on this.

message 29: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I've done PLENTY of research on this, from both sides mind you. I know a great majority about global warming, thanks. But in case you didn't know, now scientists have changed the name from Global Warming to Climate Change since this is the coldest winter in years. It snowed in Las Vegas, which shows how cold it has been. Is that what Global Warming does?

The earth is going through a cycle of its life. We don't fully understand how the world works yet and assuming that we're the ones who caused this is stupid. Don't tell me that there are facts - as I said, scientists change their opinions over and over and over again. It's all contradictory to itself, in all honesty. So I'm not going to sell my car, sell my house, and live in a tent with my family so that we can "save the world", which is really can't. Only can we POSSIBLY (and only possibly) make a small difference is when not only all Americans, but all CO2 contributors (Asia, Russia, etcetera) stop using CO2 emissions, as well. Good luck getting that to happen.

message 30: by Sara (last edited Mar 19, 2009 07:31PM) (new)

Sara (weisthis) Yay us, Jayda! We both have researched this from both perspectives.
I got this from gwenet.org off their Q&A page. It cracks me up everytime:

11. MISCONCEPTION: It's just because he wanted to promote himself that Al Gore made "An Inconvenient Truth." Global warming is a self-serving cause taken up by Al Gore to keep his name in the limelight.

→ GWEN's view: "An Inconvenient Truth" is an Academy Award-winning documentary that has garnered attention because it accurately portrays the facts and severity of current climate change. Al Gore has a sincere, heartfelt belief in this cause. He decided to leverage his status as a visible leader to voice his concerns. Gore did not invent global warming, nor should his detractors transfer their political leanings to the nonpartisan cause.

Because the Academy Awards have never been political or anything.

message 31: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments oh, no, never**

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I'm still mad about Happy Feet beating Cars :-P

message 33: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i think both suck....

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Even if you believe the earth is going through a natural cycle, does that still mean you shouldn't do anything to prepare? Just wondering...

message 35: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments if it doesn't exist, there's nothing 2 prepare 4. just pointing that out.

but co2 is just bad 4 air quality and stuff, so, yes, u should cut down on that.
and trees do make air, so we don't want extra getting cut down. and they're alive. and animals have homes in them.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

But if we're just arguing over the cause here, it doesn't mean we shouldn't prepare for the worst. When the planet fries, shouldn't we have some plans?

message 37: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Oh, trust me Erin, I'm prepared (: I didn't prepare for that specific reason, but I'm prepared and such nonetheless. How people prepare is their own problem. And again, though, we're assuming that global warming is going to be the end of the world, which is completely ridiculous. This is the coldest winter in a long time and you're still insisting that the planet is going to fry?

But if we're looking for a solution, than there's no point in trying. Solutions cannot be manmade, just as global warming isn't man made. I don't think that all trees should be cut down, of course, but as the population of the earth grows, so much homes and resources. The earth is here to use, and I intend to do just that, driving whichever car I wish.

Rachel, you went from right wing to left wing in your post xD It was kind of funny reading ^^

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Depending on where you live, things may get hotter or colder. The term climate change is better suited than global warming. It some places, like France, it's going to fry. England is also getting warmer. Where I live, in New York, things will actually be getting colder, as well as New York City going under water.

What we need to do is make sure that people are prepared to face what's coming. Instead of being selfish and driving whatever car we want and living however we want, we need to think about the greater good. One thing is helping the elderly. During hot summers, many of them die in their homes. When things get worse, the deaths are going to increase. In France, where many of the old homes have metal roofs, things are going to be even worse.

If we start preparing the people now, giving them suggestions on how they need to start living, when everything hits the fan, the losses won't be as bad.

message 39: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Yes, don't wait for tragedy, try to avoid it.

message 40: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I can honestly be selfish if I want and drive whatever car I want. And I thought that since Al Gore's movie came out people have been suggesting how to start living (i.e. Kyoto Protocal, getting rid of co2 emitting vehicles, etcetera). Until all of the environmentalists decide to do all of that I'm not going to worry about global warming/climate change. They need to prove to us that they believe it really is that bad, and if it is then something should happen. But not until they decide that they need to take some action, as well.

message 41: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

I don't want a Hummer. They have been proven to be ineffective. A gas-waster.

>.>

message 42: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Just something funny and interesting:

Global Warming Car Shopping:
If, as environmentalists claim, global warming will catastrophic flooding that can only be solved by world governments playing nicely and working together, we’re totally screwed. So why not plan for the inevitable to buying smart for the coming floods?
Sure, the Toyota Prius looks really cool, but when the floods arrive, you’ll only have a five-inch ground clearance. But if you buy a Hummer H1 instead, you’ll not only get 16 inches of ground clearance, but also the ability to drive comfortably in up to 30 inches of water! (From Glenn Beck’s, An Inconvenient Book)

Anyway - I'd love to have a Hummer ^^ But I suppose that it's all driver's choice, huh?

message 43: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

The idea would be to stop the flood first. >.>

message 44: by Jayda (new)

Jayda IF there's going to be a flood. I honestly don't believe that it's going to get that bad. Like I said before, in the 70's scientists believed that an ice age was coming, even when CO2 emissions were sky-rocketing. Just because I'm driving whatever car I want, it doesn't mean that I'm melting a polar ice cap.

message 45: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

idk what car you want. I just personally think Hummers are not needed (why do you need a tank-like car for a road) and they eat up a lot of gas.

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments "Rachel, you went from right wing to left wing in your post xD It was kind of funny reading ^^ "

♥ i don't really stay on one side on this kind of stuff.

message 47: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I need a tank-like car for the road because they're cool looking. My thing is, if you have the money, and you want to waste it on a Hummer (or whatever fuel emitting car) than go ahead. It's your choice. The government shouldn't get involved in what cars we drive - that's going too far, especially when the evidence is slowly showing that global warming is now climate change because this past winter has been the coldest is many years.

message 48: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

But we have a limited supply of gas. We have to make it stretch as much as we can, so we can have time to set up an alternative fuel system, otherwise gas will just run out and we'll be stuck.

message 49: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Like I said, if they have the money, and they seriously want to waste the gas, then let them. The government can go and drill in Alaska instead of letting all of these stupid environmentalists tell them that ONE little dot in the middle of a giant forest is going to make the caribou go extinct. It's ridiculous. And then there's plenty of oil off of the coast of Florida. We have plenty of sources that we refuse to use.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) yeah

« previous 1 3 4