Ratebeer Readers discussion

1 view
Humorists

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments Thurber is an all time Favorite...

and my wife introduced me to David Sedaris a few years ago (he gives a great live readings, and his stories on tape are really fun too)

Who else is good in this genre?

message 2: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments books on tape is another good topic...

I only like them if it's the author reading his/her own work... and even then it's never a supplement for the real thing. It's almost like watching the movie instead of reading the book.

But I love Sedaris on tape... I also have some T.S. Eliot reading some of his poems. I think I've heard some Carl Sandburg recordings, and Shel Silverstein is also great... odd duck tho.

message 3: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I'm not generally really big on humor, but the two all-time greats as far as I'm concerned would have to be Mark Twain and James Thurber. Contemporary, I dunno. Billy Bryson I like quite a bit, though he is fairly limited in the areas he covers as opposed to Sedaris who seems to be more "typical" in that he's all over the map.

message 4: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments Mark Twain... no doubt. I think we share an appreciation for Puddenhead Wilson. And some of his travel diaries.. Roughin It and so forth, are great.

message 5: by William (new)

William (acknud) I liked Patrick McManus. He's a wildlife columnist/humorist. Tells yarns of his childhood in Upstate Idaho in the 30's/40's.

message 6: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments carl sandberg

and dr. suess!