CafeMom-The Book Club discussion

The Thirteenth Tale

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments I just started reading the Thirteenth Tale, and it is such a good book that I just had to write about it. From the very first pages I fell in love with the story, and found a kindred spirit in Margaret. In her youth when her father gave her the title "finder of lost books" I laughed out loud! This is almost the exact title that my boss in the college library where I once work-studied gave to me. I would, like Margaret go into the shelves and find books that had been replaced in the wrong place, and spend hours just cruising through the shelves looking at all the titles, finding lost books in the process. Amazon said something to the effect that this book is a love story about books; so far it is just that. Anyone else reading it?

message 2: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) I just finished it... I also loved Margaret, and many of the reflections about reading and the importance of books in the character's lives, but... I'll hold off further comment until you finish, drop me a note when you're done!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments I read a while back and really enjoyed it! Are you still liking it?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments I still like it, but I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately so I am only about 200 pages in. I like the idea that reading and immersing oneself in a story can remove you so throughly from your own time and place. The ghost story part of it is different too, I don't read that sort of story often and when I do it always gives me the chills.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments Just finished reading it and it was amazing for so many reasons. I didn't see the ending coming at all.

message 6: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 37 comments Me neither! Lots of twists and turns. I really like that!

message 7: by julie (new)

julie (maguire708) I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't caught on too early started thinking "Could they be triplets? No, that's not quite right..." about 2/3 of the way through, maybe I read/watch too many mysteries. I was glad the story commented on the box/journal being saved or I would have thought it was just a bit of bad editing but I did/do wonder about it and hate having that huge loose end... but i guess that goes back to the comments at the beginning about certain novels being all wrapped up by the end! *grin*

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cagefan23) | 6 comments I just started reading it and am about 100 pages into it. I know already I'm going to love it. It's a fast read so far. I can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the book.

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona | 32 comments I hope to read this soon!!! I look forward to posting and seeing how you all thought of it too...

message 10: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (ckd518) This one is on my TBR list!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 21 comments I am so glad that ya'll liked it!! Hope to get it soon.