Harry Potter discussion

Personal Preferences > book or audio?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annalisa (last edited Mar 13, 2009 11:12AM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I normally don't condone audio versions over actual reading, but Jim Dale does such an amazing job, I think I like the audio version to HP better than the book. I didn't cry reading the book, but cried in The Forest Again in DH. I think HP should be experienced both ways. If you've both read and listened, which version do you prefer?

message 2: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 319 comments I like the audio a lot. You can do more thing while listening that reading. When I had just finished the series, I was so obsessed with it that I stopped listening to music just to listen to Harry Potter!!!!!!

message 3: by Gunjari (new)

Gunjari (irajnug) | 732 comments lol! i've never actually heard a whole book on audio, just snippets whenever i used to go to my friends house. but i agree with savannah, you can do more things while listening! the audios are really fun, but i can't decide which i like better, them or the books...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

BOOK IS BETTER!!!

message 5: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 319 comments why do you say that? (explain)

message 6: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Courtney, a big part of that is the book and the reader. Lighter reads are great in audio form, but when you really have to concentrate, I like to see the words in front of me. Have you heard HP in audio?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

books are better because you can imagine it better without someone yammering in your ear. AND you can stop where you reall want to and go back and read it again until you understand.

message 8: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Courtney, it's actually very good. It's the only book that I have really loved in audio form. Jim Dale's voices are great, especially Seamus Finnigan's, but he can even do Hermione & McGonogall well.

Sarah, I do like it better in books that you can scroll back a little and relook at something. I normally like books better, but I just really like the HP audio.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I personally loooooooooooooove both. Jim Dale is a GENIUS and he's a man of a million voices and he does everything perfectly (except maybe voldemort's voice; he changes it. in the fourth and fifth its cold and clear but not too high pitched; in the seventh its kind of raspy but high. I dunno which I like better ...). I listen to them all the time, I'm so mad the seventh isn't on iTunes yet. But I love the books too because I can look back and double check things (the more I read them, the more hints I catch) and you can take them anywhere.

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofiakennedy) I love both, but I like audio a little better because then I can knit or draw or do something at the same time. Reading it let's me pick whatever part of the book I want to read without having to search very hard, though.

message 11: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
I really love reading, but I believe that Jim Dale has done a fabulous job. I've both read and listened to the series nd I think listening to these audios is something that you can't simply find in any other audio, cuz dale has really put himself in the place of every single character, and narrated in a way you can simply close your eyes and go to their world.I highly recommend thh series' audio books to anyone who hasn't listened.

message 12: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 319 comments Isn't Jim Dale in the Gunisess book of world records for most voices in one audio book? I think it was for book5 and over 140something voices.

message 13: by Novin, whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin | 575 comments Mod
yeah, 134 voices in the order of the pheonix

message 14: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 319 comments thanks

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I really like both, but I can read way faster than the audio book goes, so I prefer to read. Every once in awhile I check out the audio book for fun.

message 16: by London (new)

London | 273 comments book!

message 17: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 84 comments Book!!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't mind the audio. In fact, the HP books are the only audio books I really like. However, I think the books should be read first.

message 19: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Briansgirl, I agree. You should definitely read it on paper first and then hear the interpretation. Just like with a movie: you read it first and then see it on screen.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) It makes more sense, at least to me, to read it for yourself first. Then enjoy the audio. It's hard for me to follow the plot on the audio if I've never read it before since you're always doing other things while the audio is on. On the other hand, it's a good way to revisit an old favorite while doing chores or something.

message 21: by London (new)

London | 273 comments true

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) Read the book at the same time as listening to the audio - works great for my younger two boys. As for me, I liked reading the books first so I can go at my own pace and really enjoy the warmth of the written words and then I liked listening to the audio versions. The audio is something I can pop in and listen to while I work or on long car rides.

There are a few audiobooks that I can listen to and enjoy again and again. Jim Dale's voice is one of those. The only other book where I felt the audio was actually almost better than the book was 13 Reason's Why. The main reason in this case was the audio had two people narrating (boy and girl) and their voices "fit" the book really good. The worst was an audio book I picked up of a Sue Grafton book (which I love by the way). The narrator had a high-pitched very feminine voice which totally didn't fit the character of the book. I made it about two chapter into the book when I had to shut it off, I just couldn't take it anymore.

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I always read the book first, then listen to audio or watch the movie. Books are always better than the movie and I find my imagination does better voices then most of the audio books I've listened to. Exception of course is Jim Dale's Harry Potter audio books. He does a wonderful job and I love his voices for almost everyone. Some don't work for me, but most of them are terrific.