Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Book/Author/Series/Genre > M/M Anyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 573 (573 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I know I'm not the only one in this group who enjoys a good m/m romance from time to time, so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss favorite m/m books and writers, as well as why you like it.

I don't know exactly why, but there's something about m/m that just tugs at my "awww" strings more than m/f does. Why is that? Why do you guys like m/m? What's your favorite m/m story?

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca I don't know that I've found any full length novels with a focus on a m/m relationship. I love Jean-Claude and Asher in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. But beyond them I can't even think of any others.

"Wreaththu" by Storm Constantine, although they're not exactly human, and not exactly male.

Not to say I don't like the concept. I read slash all the time.

message 3: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I think my first introduction to M/M may have been Carol Lynne's Cattle Valley series (some of which I enjoyed) and then Jet Mykles' 'Heaven Sent' series, ALL of which I enjoyed. I really liked the first book, Heaven, but I think my fav characters would be Lucas Sloane and Reese from Purgatory. A friend lent me a couple of her yaoi graphic novels and, pictures aside, I found the idea of women writing about m/m relationships novel. And engaging. I've since read a fair few authors of both m/m or menage (either m/m/m or m/f/m) such as: Carol Lynne, Barbara Sherridan, Allyson James, Sydney Croft, Anne Cain, Denise Rossetti, Lorelei James, Morgan Hawke, R. G. Alexander, Kate Steele, Jill Knowles, Xavier Chance, Annmarie McKenna and Jet Mykles. There's probably a whole heap of other authors sitting in my ebook collection that I could name and bore you all silly with, but I'll restrain myself LOL Why do I read them? There's no one reason, probably a combination of stuff, but mostly that a lot of them are written by women for women and that appeals to me, especially if there's a romance angle. I find that m/m written by men has a different feel to it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I like m/m romance because of the romance. The stories I have read don't involve that "I want you but can't have you." type dialog. It is sometimes about resisting the hotter than hell attraction the men have for one another. I like the descriptions of (usually) the 2 different types of males (bodies personalties preference background-wanting to stay in the closet etc-). I have never cried harder reading m/m romance. Something more emotional definitely.

I like Jet Mykles, J L Langley, Cameron Dane, Evangeline Anderson, T A Chase and others I have read through blogs like Ally Blue or Willa Okati. Men writing m/m romance I can't compare b/c I have read more women authors. But I do like T A Chase's blog short stories. Goodness! It is so tempting to go and buy a few off his books and just snuggle in for an afternoon. For a pure erotic fantasy m/m is the way to go. When I want a bit of realism, feeling like that could be me, I read a m/f or m/f/m (hehe) romance.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm pretty new to m/m romantic fiction, though I've been a huge QAF fan for years, own all the seasons on dvd and have watched them all about five times, so the idea of m/m romance wasn't new or shocking to me.
So far I've only read a few: the first Jet Mykles Heaven Sent book (which includes the first two stories), Tech Support and Snagged which I downloaded as e-books and the second Heaven Sent book is in the mail.
I downloaded a couple other m/m e-books from loose-id last night; Blue Ruin 1 and 2 by Katrina Strauss. I read the first one last night and liked it, though I was annoyed because loose-id advertised and priced it as a full length novel but it was definitely a novella. (I don't read novels in 2 hours, thanks.) So I definitely feel like I overpaid.

I think I have to agree with Tosca about Luc and Reese. I think that one's also my favorite. :)

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Kenjii do you have any book suggestions from each of the authors you mentioned?

Its hard to look up books sometimes because if its a series you dont want to pick up a book in the middle and ruin the reading.

message 7: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments A few titles that I've read recently that I liked:
* Carol Lynne - Open to possibilities (m/m/m)
* Jet Mykles - Heaven (book 1 in Heaven Sent books - m/m)OR Dark Elves: Taken (fantasy multiple everything everywhere LOL)
* Barbara Sheridan/Anne Cain - Blood brothers (historical m/m)
* Anne Cain - Pawprints 1 (m/m)
* Allyson James - Tales of the Shareem: Aiden and Ky (fantasy m/f/m)
* Denise Rossetti - Gift of the Goddess (Phoenix Rising, Book 1) (fantasy m/f/m) OR Strongman (Phoenix Rising, Book 3)(fantasy m/m)
* Lorelei James - Rough, raw and ready book 5 in the Rough Riders series (modern, cowboys m/f/m)
* Lynn Lorenz - The mercenary'a tale (historical m/m)
* Chris Owen - Bareback (modern, cowboys m/m - bit of an emotional book when their relationship hits a snag, apparently there's another book a while after called Natural Disaster but I've yet to read it)
* Jill Knowles - A pirate's primer (historical, pirates m/m)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Tricia-
From Jet Mykles I have read her Heaven Sent Series which starts with Heaven. Cameron Dane's Hawkins Brothers starts with Demon Moon (which is m/f) but I like her m/m part of the series I have read. Falling and Knowing Caleb. J L Langley has a series that begins with the Tin Star that I really enjoyed. And her Sci-Regency series that starts with My Fair Captain crosses sci-fi with historical regency. T A Chase's blog is the best place to get a sample of his work but I have only read No Going Home (bk 1) as a full length novel, about cowboys. I love cowboys =D.

Check the author's website as they probably offer freebies to see if you like their brand of m/m romance. Some authors are more realistic with the pressures of the character's life encroaching on the romance. Sometimes its all about the men and the love between them. Just find your theme and go from there.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) My first experience with m/m love was in one of the Blood Ties books. I can't remember which one but there was a scene in the kitchen with Ziggy involving olive oil and I thought I was going to have an orgasm just from reading it. Then I discovered Jet Mylkes website and have become addicted to everything she writes. The Heaven series is fabulous. I also love Morgan Haweke's Interstellar Service & Discipline Series which is m/m/f but her m/m stuff is hot! Just read the first in a m/m series about vampires Soul Mates Bound by Blood by Jourdan Lane that was fabulous! I have a bunch of other books on my TBR list which you can find on my m/m Goodreads shelf. I keep adding them as I get recommendations.

I think I love m/m relationships because they are so vulnerable and rife with emotion. I especially like the "gay for you" stories where the guy resists because "I'm not gay" but then falls in love anyway. It's just to touching and sweet.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Thanks guys :D Lots of suggestions! That will keep me busy for a while lol

message 11: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments LMFAO@Lori - omg I just snorted coca cola out of my nose I was laughing so hard. My very first m/m novel was a Carol Lynne and I remember reading it and then looking all around to see who was watching me read it (no one was, I was at home alone LOL doh) and then sneaking another read and then looking around again. It was such a guilty read LOL I thought it was pretty gosh darn vivid with just two guys but then a third guy came along and wow wow wow LOL Jet Mykles short story Tech Support was aww it just made me go awww and wow both at the same time LOL Hot guy (Yoshiki Fukui, called Ki for short) who swings both ways but, ultimately, just for Aron ;-) And Heaven - Tyler was one of those 'But I'm not gay - but I think about sucking you off - but I'm not gay' and how can you NOT find that sweet. Seriously LOL You're just right there for the emotional roller coaster ride (esp with his father being ill AND trying to believe he isn't gay) *sigh*

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I am just about done with the Englor Affair (Bk 2) by J L Langley. I love how she has done sci-fi with a dash of regency society (or is it the other way around?) The fact that it is young lords attending balls instead of debutantes is so well done. My favorite pair is Nate and Aidan from My Fair Capt (Bk 1).

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments http://www.smashwords.com/books/downl...

Here's a good vampire themed m/m short. It is the link directly to the .pdf, so if it doesn't work then try:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 14, 2009 04:10PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) This is one subject in books I just can't get into. I stick with m/f romances. I don't even like slash fanfic. I read Bonanza, Star Trek and Highlander fanfic and was upset they weren't labeled slash as I wasn't expecting it and really didn't like it. So now I just don't read fanfic anymore.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Lori wrote: "My first experience with m/m love was in one of the Blood Ties books. I can't remember which one but there was a scene in the kitchen with Ziggy involving olive oil and I thought I was going to ha..."

Lori, I think you put your finger on it - there's a certain vulnerability to m/m that really gets to me. They always make me go, "Aww, that's so cute..."

Also, I ordered the first two Soul Mates books by Jourdan Lane based on your recommendation (and other reviews). I'm excited to read them!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Briansgirl: M/M is not for everyone. I let people know that ask my opinion that if the idea of 2 men together is not your idea of romantic then reading m/m romance won't be for you either. Romance is romance for me. I like a well written character and m/m romance is a whole other side to romance. It has another feel and feeling all together. I am not sure about slash and fanfic but by women for women published erotic romance done right can evoke the same feelings as any m/f, if not more.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kenjii wrote: "Briansgirl: M/M is not for everyone. I let people know that ask my opinion that if the idea of 2 men together is not your idea of romantic then reading m/m romance won't be for you either. Romance ..."

I understand Kenjii. Everyone can interpret it differently and it's just not my cup of tea. I just can't read slash fanfic of say Star Trek's Kirk and Spock together. lol Just ruins it for me.

message 18: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments A work colleague introduced me to slash fanfic and omg I'd never seen/read anything like it. I was fairly bowled over by Lex Luthor getting Superman (as in the Smallville series when they were high school students rather than adults) pregnant LOL Can't say that that was my idea of m/m - it has to be the romance I needed in it. And you're right, Briansgirl, m/m written by women for women has a whole other feel to it than say m/f.

message 19: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) I haven't read anything M/M to date.

message 20: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca Kenjii wrote: I am not sure about slash and fanfic but by women for women published erotic romance done right can evoke the same feelings as any m/f, if not more.

Slash is predominately written by women for women. And some of it, I've found, is as good as anything you can find published. You just have to find the right authors.

message 21: by tosca (last edited Mar 17, 2009 11:46PM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I have just ordered (or am TRYING to if the dratted site will let me) If I Were A Lady by Bryl Tyne. Received an email update from Noble Publishing about Tyne's book but the bit that caught my eye was the spoiler alert at the bottom: M/M, transsexual. SO I read the synopsis and, greatly intrigued, then read the excerpt and couldn't stop myself from chuckling over one line in particular. Imagine! Kendra is dragged into a closet somewhere in the middle of the school and starts making out with the lusty principal. So there 'she' is trying to stop Val from groping under her skirt when she grabs his hand to stop him and slaps it on her butt instead and says: 'I-I like it better in back?' LOL Assuming the site lets me buy it *ahem* I might be able to start reading it tonight, and if it doesn't then a plague on their publishing house ;-)

message 22: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Jodz wrote: "I haven't read anything M/M to date.
"

You'd be spoilt for choice if you decided to start. And, if you're an indiscriminate reader like me it'll prob be a heck of an adventure finding stuff that you like (I've read some m/m sexual positions I never imagined were possible and some I hope never to see in action LOL)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) tosca wrote: "Kendra is dragged into a closet somewhere in the middle of the school and starts making out with the lusty principal. So there 'she' is trying to stop Val from groping under her skirt (and thereby getting more than a suprise - and a handful) when she grabs his hand to stop him and slaps it on her butt instead and says: 'I-I like it better in back?'"

Wow... Tosca, this post made me snort out loud at work.
There are so many things wrong with this, starting with the lusty principal... eek. LOL...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Tosca: That made me laugh =D. I got that same email promo. I was interested. I limit my e-book buying as well though. I like Noble Romance they do Think Kink for sure.

message 25: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments LOL Tosca I can only imagine!

message 26: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I'm still trying to buy it though and having no luck LOL It sounds hilarious!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I finally got my copy of Heaven Sent 2 in the mail today, so of course I started reading it right away.

*Potential spoilers*

I'm not sure I'm feeling Brent and Hell... Hell's coming across very femmy to me. Pretty boys I like, but femmy not so much. And apparently we're supposed to think the purple hair with the braid is hot, but it doesn't do much for me.
And then there's this whole thing with Hell being the top? That's even harder for me to wrap my mind around than the purple hair...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I have not read Brent and Hell's story. I do like the Heaven Sent series. Johnnie is still my favorite. even with the long red hair I still liked the way Johnnie was described. How are you liking the rest of Heaven Sent 2?

message 29: by tosca (last edited Mar 17, 2009 11:19PM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Oh now see that was prob the biggest gripe I had about Brent/Hell was that the little guy was the top. Not saying it can't happen - obviously it does - but it just seemed a bit unlikely to me. But then, I'm not M/M - I only read it so what do I know LOL I did think Brent's attitude about how he supposed he'd have to be the top instead, I thought that was prob quite realistic. He seemed sort of resigned to the idea, not so much enthusiastic as kinda resigned. Let me amend that slightly, enthusiastic about sex yes, about having to perhaps always be the top, no. Hell is a sexy little thing, though, but I had like umm this image of a little pixie in my head for the whole book LOL It made Brent seem like a Yeti in comparison LOL

message 30: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments well I employed a bit of artististic license the 'lusty principal' comment was solely mine but i couldn't think of any other way to put it. he certainly comes on quite strong in the book. in any other work environment the word 'sexual' would be followed equally as quickly by the word 'harassment' lol

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Hell grew on me and I really enjoyed their story. I was a little surprised that he was a top but my gay friends all say that some of the most macho guys are bottoms and some of the most effeminate guys are tops. And a lot are both. Guess it just depends on if you like to pitch or catch. I loved how she described some of Hell's outfits. The Heaven boys are all so yummy. I wish she'd do a graphic novel featuring them. I'd look at it every day.

message 32: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited Mar 18, 2009 08:24AM) (new)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm further in to the story, and I'll say that I'm coming around to the idea of Hell as the top - I mean, it seems to work really well for them.:)

But I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Hell's supposed to be attractive... maybe I'm not picturing him right (though there is the drawing on the front cover), but he does less than nothing for me. I guess Jet Mykles just has very different ideas of what's attractive in a guy than I do.
And I'm always turned off/pulled out of the story when she describes their clothes. No one dresses like that unless it's the 70's and you're part of Andy Warhol's entourage. (Oh, and Elton John.)

But I like Brent a lot and the sex scenes are very well written, and we're getting lots of glimpses of Luc and Reese which is always a good thing.:)

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I dunno Nichole. Do you remember some of the outfits that David Lee Roth used to wear? Granted, that was the 80's but Jet is a huge Duran Duran fan so I think that's where her heads at. I really like that Hell is flamboyant. He's also German and was into the techno scene so I think his outfits make sense.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Well, okay.... I guess if they were 80s pop stars it might work. I guess I'm thinking of now and I can't think of a single rock star that dresses like that. (Okay, maybe Of Montreal... or Scissor Sisters. But they're not mainstream rock bands the way I get the feeling Heaven Sent is supposed to be.)

I just personally don't find it attractive so it's harder for me to relate to the story.

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I asked Jet what band she had in mind when she wrote the books and she said that she prefers people to come up their own "sound" for the band but that she had Duran Duran in mind when she was writing them.

Hell is definitely over the top with his lavender hair and outfits and I personally would not be attracted to him. He looks just like a girl on the cover of the book. It think the fact that Brent is so infatuated with him is part of the appeal of their story. Now I really want to read these books again!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Lori: I have not read Brent and Hell's story but when people talk about Heaven Sent I want to re-read the ones I have =D. The boys are delish for sure.

message 37: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I had this whole ambient style music in my head. I have no idea why - I think I need to go back and re-read the stories. And Lori, I just LOVE your statement: I asked Jet what band she had in mind when she wrote the books LOL I really enjoy the informal way readers and writers connect in Good Reads (am assuming that's how it happened so put me straight if it ain't!). I really like their hair colour - yeah, I know, stupid BUT it works for me :-)

message 38: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments One thing I find interesting is that none of us have a problem with the pretty-pretty look of the characters in the Heaven Sent series. Friends who I've spoken to about m/m books object to the look of the characters on the covers. Umm I have to admit that that is part of the appeal for me!

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Tosca, Jet has a Yahoo group so I first connected with her through that. I can't remember if I asked the question in the group or if I just emailed her directly. I am surprised at how responsive some authors are. I know there are some who receive hundreds of emails each week and couldn't possibly respond to each one personally but I was shocked yesterday when I emailed Gena Showalter and she responded within hours. That makes me a die hard, life long fan for sure.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) tosca wrote: "One thing I find interesting is that none of us have a problem with the pretty-pretty look of the characters in the Heaven Sent series. Friends who I've spoken to about m/m books object to the loo..."

Pretty totally works for me. Girly, not so much. That's why I had a hard time connecting with Hell as a character, but I did still enjoy that story.
I went to Jet's web site yesterday, I don't remember why exactly (oh, I think I was curious about the next story, Revelations which should come out in the next few months or so), but she has a picture of the band in the upper right corner of the Heaven Sent page and I was like, "oh my..."
Yeah, these are definitely very yummy rockstars. :)

-I'm reading Darien and Chris's story now, and I'll say I am loving both characters... Darien is so cute and bubbly, and Chris is super sexy.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Heaven Sent Fans, there are also 4 short stories and another novella. Here's the complete list.

Heaven Sent 1 & 2 (Heaven & Purgatory)
Heaven Sent 3 & 4 (Hell & Faith)
Heaven Sent 5: Genesis - ebook
Pretty Red Ribbon - ebook
Rites of Spring - ebook
Sparklers - ebook
Sly Spectral Trick - ebook

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) *gasp* - for real? Yaaaaaay!!!!!!!

Thanks, Lori :)

message 43: by tosca (last edited Mar 20, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I read Bareback by Chris Owens sometime last year and and have just started Natural Disaster which is a follow on of Jake and Tor's story. I think I cried in the last one, it was a bit of a tearjerker when they have a relationship hiccup (if one can label an affair a hiccup eek). Last night I read Gemini which is also an Owens ebook. It featured identical male twins and a male tattooist named Gent (as in Gentleman). It's just occurred to me that I have no idea if Owens is male or female. I could probably look it up but I enjoy the books so maybe it doesn't matter in this instance. Have also started reading Spaceport: Marked by Jade Buchanan and A Delicious Taboo Plus Two by Jennifer Cole which is a follow on from another story I read last year. Is about two male couples, best friends, who all fall in love with the same woman. It sounds convoluted but it's not hah. This one is uhh turning out to be good, too, with the possible addition of a baby. Or babies. Egads. And funny :)

message 44: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Just out of curiosity, does anybody here read or watch yaoi??

message 45: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) Thanks to Lori I have just finished Jet Mykles - Tech Support. I must say it has opened all sorts of new reading doors for me.

message 46: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments I liked Ki - sexually aggressive and kinda sweet and very, very determined where Aaron is concerned

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I have read 1 yaoi book Tosca. I want to read more.

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Jet Mykles has two Yaoi stories in the freebie section of her website. They are HOT, HOT, HOT!!!! Here's the links. Read the top one first (night out)

http://www.jetmykles.com/2006/04/weis...

http://www.jetmykles.com/2006/09/weis...

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Jodz...once you get hooked on m/m...there is no turning back. You have got to read the Heaven series. You will love it!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Was Tech Support your first m/m romance Jodz? I must say Jet Mykles is a good start for m/m romance. I like T A Chase for m/m romance from a man's POV. His blog is so, *sigh*, with the poems and pictures. I love it. I can't wait to read more of his novels.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12