SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Confession re Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) I have read none of her books. None! However, I'm ready to start. Please recommend one to start with, whether it's the best, most accessible, most relevant, whatever. Thank you!

message 2: by bup (new)

bup I have read two - P&P & S&S.

Pride and Prejudice is one of the best books I have ever read.

I don't like "chick lit" - that is, where it's all about the romance and the melodrama (but I do like female authors like Anne Tyler and Barbara Kingsolver).

Anyway, I recommend Pride and Prejudice - I was amazed how good it was.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (Jamie_Goodreads) | 76 comments Yes, I'd say Pride and Prejudice also. Then watch the A&E miniseries, if you haven't already.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 153 comments Mod
If you tend to like movies, PBS is doing all six of Austen's novels in the upcoming weeks. Most of them in a single night, plus the wonderful A&E/BBC miniseries over six nights plus the not-so-wonderful "Emma" from a few years ago that I didn't like at all.

But yes, P&P is probably the most accessible of her works, and I really love it.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (Jamie_Goodreads) | 76 comments Ooh, thanks for the PBS heads-up, Julie.

message 6: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) Pride & Prejudice it is. Thanks guys!

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (Juliefoolie) | 7 comments hmmm I have a copy I havent read , dung, tell m when you're starting and I will read with you....
deal?

message 8: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) Sure! With luck, I'll start Saturday night.

message 9: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) I regret to say that my library was unable to get P&P for me this weekend. I usually go on Saturdays, so that's going to put my start back another week. I don't want to hold up the discussion, so please go ahead if y'all are ready to start!

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (Juliefoolie) | 7 comments I havent started either. Hmm. I've been actually reading Texas Hold 'Em for Dummies, and the Douglas Adam's Last Chance to See at work. Yesterday I brought my T is for Tresspass Kinsey Milhone boook to the indoor playground.

So Im reading but not a lot of mind expansion going on.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 18 comments Hmm. I believe that I loathe Jane Austen because my grandmother read Pride and Prejudice to my sister and me when I was 7.

I think that was a little young, and I've harboured a deep dislike against Austen ever since.

Maybe I should have another crack at her. It would give me something to do on the upcoming long distance planes. Haven't read anything substantial recently. And although I was seduced by a copy of 'I Am Legend' I think it may scare me too much to actually keep me entertained.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Anna,
I just finished "I Am Legend" last night. I didn't think it was that scary. YMMV, of course. It was a quick read, too; I liked it. Not that I would deter you from reading Jane Austen, or anything. She's one of my favorites!

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna | 18 comments Well, I've got a copy of I Am Legend. And I haven't got a copy of Pride and Prejudice.

So Richard Matheson wins out tonight. The book itself may not be scary, but I don't do so well with vampire stuff. If I'm a wreck at work tomorrow - I'll know what to blame.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Well, I certainly hope you'll blame Richard Matheson and not me. :) Vampires don't bother me too much. Now, if they had been zombies...

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna | 18 comments As it turns out, it didn't bother me nearly as much I as thought.

So now I'll move onto P&P - picked up a copy in the bookstore at lunchtime.

message 16: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) I may have to do the same. I'm really surprised that every copy of it is checked out of my library right now!

message 17: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) Finally! I'm starting today.

message 18: by bup (new)

bup Here's a great, short synopsis of "Pride and Prejudice" (spoilers, obviously):

http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/...

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (Jamie_Goodreads) | 76 comments Has anybody read any of the "sequels" to Pride & Prejudice, or the other related fiction such as the new Mr. Darcy's Diary? It seems to be getting decent reviews. Are any of them worth reading?

message 20: by Smokinjbc (new)

Smokinjbc | 12 comments I've read "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife" which was quite racy and not at all authentic but fun if you like that kind of thing. I think I read another one about the daughters - can't remember what it was called though- it was just "ok". I would like to read "Mr. Darcy's Diary" though (running to to-read list now :)

message 21: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) Bup, that synopsis really cut to the chase, didn't it? :) I finished the book last night and it was…okay. It was a decently written love story, but somehow I'd thought there would be more.

message 22: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments Dung, can you elaborate? What else did you expect?

message 23: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (DungBeetle) Well, Jane Eyre and Gone With the Wind can also be described as love stories, but they have a lot more meat. When I read them over, different parts stand out and seem more or less important, depending on how I've changed in the meantime. I enjoyed P&P, but I can't see myself going back to it again and finding more in it every time. My copy had some discussion questions in the back…I meant to check those out and see what I should be pondering.

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (Jamie_Goodreads) | 76 comments It's the writing that I love about P&P. The love story is good, but I read the book for Austen's use of language, and her wit.