Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Novels Tying Into Short Stories (or vice versa)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (deety) | 34 comments Short stories using series characters should always, always, always be optional side adventures that have no real bearing on the ongoing story.

I hate that feeling that I've missed something if I didn't notice the short story before the next (or in some extra-annoying cases, the first!) book comes out. I hate trying to reread a series while having to remember which stories are in which collections and fit between which books. I hate buying an anthology for the sake of one or two authors, only to find that the rest of the stories vary wildly in quality and sometimes even subgenre (for example, one urban fantasy story published in a paranormal romance collection).

I don't even buy UF anthologies at release anymore. I wait to get them from the library, and then I only buy them later if I enjoy at least two thirds of the stories.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 19 comments Personally, I love it when a short story fleshes out characters that otherwise don't get the spotlight in the main series books - like spin offs. This is not a UF example, but Gabriel Garcia Marquez did it really well with 100 Years of Solitude and a couple collections of short stories - I think Leaf Storm was one of them. Butchner has done it too, but I can't remember the names of the stories.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments For the most part I dislike short stories. I will read them but I never buy them and I dislike it when writers try to add what was in the short story into a new novel.

For example I liked when Sherrilyn Kenyon had a short story that pertained to her next book so she published the story in the book and in the authors note she tells you to read the story first - Good.

I disliked in White Witch Black Curse when we see Pierce ( I think that is his name) and if you had not read the short story you were like who?? what??
Bad

However, I did think the book Mysteria was interesting I was not familiar with any of the writers when I read it but the stories intertwined with each other and I started reading new authors because of it.

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments I think it's okay and can add to the overall universe, but I agree that major plot points should not be revealed through them. If they are, I think the author should include the story as perhaps s prologue in his or her next book, so faithful readers are kept up to speed.

Charlaine Harris is releasing A Touch of Dead in October, which will include all short stories relating to the Sookie-verse.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I like short stories, I like novels. I prefer that the short stories just enhance the series. But I don't mind whent eh short stories are pretty key. Even with WWBC, that didn't bug me. I HAD read the short story, but it was some time ago, and when the name Pierce came out, I didn't know who the heck that was. She covered the whole general storyline fromt hat short story so that readers who don't read the short story have enough of an idea to make sense.

Personally, if the writing & story are good, I read it. Long, short or in-between.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I don't like anthologies... especially ones that contain stories that are pivotal to the author's next book. But on the flip side, I don't like short stories that are just fluff and don't add anything to the overall story of the author's created world and characters (I'm looking at you, Charlaine Harris, with that fluff piece I paid money for a year or two ago... what a waste!).

However, it is a nice introduction to an author's writing style. You can find out if you will probably like an author you haven't previously read or if you should avoid an author because of their writing style, storyline, etc (ex: Sunny - uh, did NOT like the short story I read by her).

I have WWBC on my bookshelf to read... do I need to read this short story about Pierce before starting WWBC? Which anthology is it in?

message 7: by Shanon (last edited Mar 16, 2009 08:43AM) (new)

Shanon (boban) You will want to read the short story in Holidays Are Hell about Pierce.

I was also told that there is a story in Dates From Hell about Ivy that plays a part in WW,BC as well. I haven't checked into it yet though.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Cool! Thanks, Jennifer!

Does that mean if I read your description I don't have to go find the books to read? 'Cause that would be awesome! :)

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I've done that before, Jennifer! :)

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments That's how I read the Sookie story in Wolfsbane.

Come on, why else do they HAVE those comfy chairs?

I swear B&N is part library.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Michelle M ..I do the same thing LOL especially since my library does not carry a wide selection of anthologies

message 12: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments I'm just disappointed by anthologies, more often than not! If it has a good number of authors I like I'll go for it-I bought Blood Lite since it seemed like a good prospect. Haven't read it yet.

The "from hell" anthologies seem pretty good. But then again, the stories therein are from widely accepted authors.

The worst I ever read was the Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance. I think there were all of 2, maybe 3 stories that were worthwhile.

Nope, sorry authors. I'll buy every novel you've ever written, but I'll traipse on over to scribd.com to read the shorts. Bad of me, I know!

That said, I've no problem buying short story collections from a particular author. I'll probably buy the Sookie shorts compilation when it comes out in Oct.

message 13: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) scribd.com??? I haven't heard of that website before. But if I can get caught up on the short stories from my favorite authors without digging throuh several anthologies I'm all for it. I'll have to check it out. THANKS for the tip

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments It's one of those user uploaded types where you can find pdfs or text files of the anthologies. Since they're user uploaded, you sometimes have to play with your search terms a bit to get the winning combo. Just keep in mind author's name, story name and anthology name and search for each in turn. I've had a good amount of luck with scribd. Or there are some torrent sites you can use. Since we're talking short stories, it's not as big a deal to read the whole thing online or print it out!