Q&A with David Liss discussion

What's new?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  Alesi (stacyalesi) | 1 comments Hi David,

You mention that you have completed two books and are working on another. Would you mind sharing a bit about these books? Do you have pub dates for these?

Thanks!

Stacy
I am the BookBitch
BookBitch.com

message 2: by David (new)

David | 9 comments Mod
I'm largely pasting this in from a similar question in the other thread. Please forgive me.

Here is the pub date info, however.

The Whiskey Rebels (September '08)
The Devil's Company (sometime in '09)

And one more thing -- this late in the game they are thinking of changing the title of The Whiskey Rebels. The publisher thinks the bool will appeal to both men and women readers, but the title might drive off the women. I'll update the world if we come up with something new.

Here is a basic description of each:

The Whiskey Rebels is a historic thriller set against the backdrop of the Panic of 1792, the first financial crisis in the United States. The novel follows two principal characters: Ethan Saunders is a former Revolutionary War spy, now disgraced and living on the fringes of society, but when he learns of a possible danger to his long-lost love, he is drawn into a plot that may undermine the new and fragile nation; Joan Maycott and her husband are tricked by unscrupulous speculators into settling on the barbaric western frontier, but when her life is shattered she vows revenge on the men she holds responsible, including Treasury Secretary, Alexander Hamilton. This was easily the most challenging novel I’ve ever written, but it was also exciting for me for a whole bunch of reasons – grappling with some of the history of my own country, writing two distinct narrators, and, of course, learning lots about early whiskey making.

The Devil’s Company, which is the third (and maybe final) Benjamin Weaver novel is set shortly after A Spectacle of Corruption and attempts to examine the 18th century origins of the modern corporation. In this novel Weaver, against his will, is made to take on the British East India Company, and so learns about the uneasy nexus of power that exists between the Company and the British government, the ways in which the Company produces and manipulates the markets for its goods, and all kinds of juicy things. As the third novel with a continuing protagonist, I wanted to mix things up a little, so in this book there are plenty of characters from the previous two who don’t appear, there is one fairly major character who dies, and Weaver meets the woman who, if the books continue, he will likely marry. Of the three Weaver novels, it is probably my favorite.