Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Top 10 comfort films

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Mar 12, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments thanks for posting, kate.

so, according to that miniscule article, we should post films that we love to death, films that we've seen countless times and can watch again and again?

ok, here goes; not a top ten, but a baker's dozen:

1) the big sleep
2) ball of fire
3) pride and prejudice - joe wright version (OK, i'm going to come off duplicitous here, because i said "i had some reservations" about this film on another thread, but that didn't stop me from watching it countless times...i am a walking contradiction)
4) fanny and alexander
5) the 39 steps
6) to catch a thief
7) dead man
8) the shining
9) hairspray (ok, pretty much ANY john waters film, really. viva baltimore!)
10) flirting
11) rushmore
12) frankenstein
13) black orpheus

this is interesting, because a film like "to catch a thief" isn't really what i would consider one of hitchcock's "best" films (in terms of construction and performance), but somehow it's so entertaining i can watch it again and again. there are a lot of films like that in this list...i'm not sure they're "great" films, but i love them anyway. but fanny and alexander, the shining, and dead man? those are GREAT films.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5483 comments These are quick fixes, those bits of movies I put on sometimes for the joy of watching them:

Warner Bros. Cartoons -- Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, etc. Guaranteed to chase them naughty blues away. I love them all. Well, most of them. If THE RABBIT OF SEVILLE doesn't get me in a better mood, nothing will. Watching Bugs Bunny do terrible things to Elmer Fudd, all to Carl Stallings' arrangement of Rossini is one of life's great pleasures.

TWENTIETH CENTURY -- I could listen to John Barrymore scream at Carole Lombard forever.

THE WIZARD OF OZ -- especially Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead, and any moment containing Bert Lahr. Lahr's performance of "If I Were King Of The Forest" is pure delight.

BEDAZZLED -- Especially one scene in which Dudley Moore's Stanley Moon wishes he was a popstar, and sings a more than usually needy love song. Moon is of course completely upstaged by Peter Cook's Satan, who does a glorious deadpan performance of a song whose principal lyrics are "Leave me alone."

WAY OUT WEST -- In what was probably intended as a parody of the then-current trend toward huge splashy musical numbers, Laurel and Hardy do the exact opposite. They stand listening to some musicians playing front of a saloon, and slowly sway to the music. Then they start to dance. Sheer magic, sheer simplicity, one of the most joyful and perfect things ever committed to celluloid. I love every frame of this sequence. This is one of the movie moments that makes life worth living. There can be no disagreement on this. I will hunt down and kill anyone who says otherwise. Consider yourself warned.

Lately I've also taken to putting on THERE WILL BE BLOOD and Heath Ledger's moments in THE DARK KNIGHT, purely for the joy of watching Day Lewis and Ledger tear into their roles. Neither of them are happy or comforting movies, by any means, but there's something wildly exhilirating about them that always gets my blood flowing faster.

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Mar 12, 2009 03:06PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i LOVE rabbit of seville!!!!!!!

bert lahr:
"you get that certain savoir faire in the merry ol' land of oz!"

i crack up everytime i hear him sing that lyric.

message 4: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 3 comments 1. Tommy Boy
2. Major Payne
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4. Good,Bad,Ugly
5. Mad Max 2
6. Second Hand Lions
7. Unbreakable
8. 50 First Dates
9. A Knights Tale
10. Blazzing Saddles

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) i love A Knight's Tale! Why did he have to die?!?!?!?!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Any John Hughes movie
Grease and Grease 2
Dirty Dancing
Father of the Bride
Stand By Me
Goonies
Eddie and the Cruisers

Basically any movie I watched a trillion times in junior high!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments 1-Goonies is one of my all time faves!!
2-Princess Bride
3-Labyrinth

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments awww ... Pretty Woman ... and I agree with Stephanie - Princess Bride ... aaaaaaand Dawn of the Dead :D

message 9: by Maryse (last edited Mar 24, 2009 06:07PM) (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments Haha, Goonies yes!
Also A Knight's Tale, Gattaca, Predator 1, and Caddy Shack. I love Bill Murray

message 10: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 30 comments Ack! I don't see how Pretty Woman could be a comfort! A prostitute "saved" by a rich man? It glamorizes prostitution. I didn't see anything comforting in it.

Now The Rabbit of Seville. THAT's entertainment!

message 11: by smetchie (new)

smetchie Prostitution IS glamorous, isn't it?

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments I love Pretty Woman!!! and A knights Tale always makes me smile.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments Jean wrote: "Ack! I don't see how Pretty Woman could be a comfort! A prostitute "saved" by a rich man? It glamorizes prostitution. I didn't see anything comforting in it.

Now The Rabbit of Seville. THAT's ente..."

I can see your point Jean - but didn't see it like that at all ... I saw the hope and the romance - and in my opinion it was the rich man who was saved

it made me smile

now - how come I got an "Ack!" for Pretty Woman but not a sound - not even a murmur - about Dawn of the Dead??

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments LOl...great point Sam=)

message 15: by Phillip (last edited Mar 25, 2009 09:59PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments sam,
because everyone recognizes dawn of the dead as ultimate comfort (obviously!).
:)

message 16: by Maryse (last edited Mar 25, 2009 09:42PM) (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments Sam wrote: "now - how come I got an "Ack!" for Pretty Woman but not a sound - not even a murmur - about Dawn of the Dead?? "

Dawn of the Dead? The remake or the original? I didn't get the remake at all. The original is pretty bad that it's funny. Ergo, I prefer watching the original :)

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments Maryse wrote: "Dawn of the Dead? The remake or the original? I didn't get the remake a..."

ah now Maryse - I'm gonna be controversial (and probably lose even more cool points with a particular gentleman) but the remake is my favourite of the two ...

I love them both - of course ... (why do i feel like I'm talking about two of my children??? - ha!)

but if I had notice that I was going to be stranded on a desert island I'd take the remake with me (oh and a DVD player and TV and a power generator thingee or a really really really long extension cord)

I'm not sure I can explain it though ... I loved the whole premise / concept (tmrw something awful could happen and it could all just turn to poo!), the suspense, the zobmies, the characters (who are all so wonderfully flawed), and how it just didn't work out right ...

but as to how that comforts me - I'm at a bit of a loss - and I'll welcome observations from anyone who cares to comment about that little puzzle ... but i guess i just enjoy watchin' it

the original is of course a classic though - I think I see them as v different movies though

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments Phillip wrote: "sam,
:)"

aaahhhh of course :)

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i forgot there was a remake....wasn't ice cube in it? somehow i missed it.

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 30 comments Phillip wrote: "sam,
:)"

Couldn't have said it better myself!

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments great minds think alike!

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) | 96 comments movies I watch over and over are:

Dirty Dancing
Jumping Jack Flash (I just love Whoopi)
Murphy's Romance
A Mirror Has Two Faces
Hairspray
Mamma Mia
Man of the House
Pride and Prejudice (only have the new one though I prefer the 1940's version)
Mary Poppins
Singing in the Rain

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Oh, yes, Jumping Jack Flash is GREAT!

message 24: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments hey eugenia,

great list! i love the big sleep. that first scene where bogart meets bacall has the funniest dialogue ever. i also wish i could call upon such wit....

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments Phillip wrote: "i forgot there was a remake....wasn't ice cube in it? somehow i missed it. "

remembers zombies ... remembers the big dude outa Mission Impossible ... remembers havin' a little crush on the dude outa Medium ... doesn't remember Ice Cube ;o)

Eugenia wrote: "Fools Rush In, which I find funny
40 Year Old Virgin, which is funny, funny, funny, bawdy, gross and sweet at same time..."

Eugina - you, my ladygirl, have picked some cool flicks for comfort there ... here's to oglin' Johnny Depp and fond memories of beginnings ;o)

message 26: by Debbie (last edited Mar 30, 2009 04:07AM) (new)

Debbie I LOVE Johnny Depp!!!

message 27: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments eugenia,

i've only seen the original. i'd rather not see any sequels or remakes of the big sleep.

message 28: by Phillip (last edited Apr 01, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments oh, i see....yes, i knew that the studio made another (slightly different) version of The Big Sleep in hopes of "clearing up" the storyline (typical hollywood - the one thing that makes the film different than any other film out there and they want to change it). the dvd i have has both versions, but the re-edited version useless. there's no reason to touch the original....none at all.

like you, i couldn't watch the mitchum version. again - why "remake" something as brilliant as this film???

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments no particular order:

1. The Princess Bride
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Grease
4. American Werewolf in London
5. LA Story
6. Pretty Woman
7. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
8. Rocky Horror Picture Show
9. Night of the Living Dead
10. Some Like it Hot

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) Pretty Woman is a good one. Right now the "comfort" movie I can't seem to get bored of is The Devil Wears Prada. I also like all of the Miss Congenialities

message 31: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 30 comments Sherry wrote: "Pretty Woman is a good one. Right now the "comfort" movie I can't seem to get bored of is The Devil Wears Prada. I also like all of the Miss Congenialities "

Devil Wears Prada? What's comforting about it? Isn't it about a horrible, terrible, heartless boss in a superficial world of fashion? Haven't seen it, so it's a genuine question.

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) lol... yes, it is about a horrible, terrible, heartless boss in a superficial world of fashion BUT, it's more so about the girl who works for her and how she finds her own way in life. I'd tell more, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen it.

message 33: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 09, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of mine for sure...Tim Curry is soooo great!!! We have a great place here in town called Darcel's, its female impersonators (think the movie The Birdcage) and they due an absolutely outrageous Rocky Horror musical dance number!!!!

message 34: by Phillip (last edited Apr 09, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i saw the original stage version of the rocky horror show at the roxie in los angeles back in the early 70's (1972? 1973?...can't remember). it was amazing to have tim curry dancing and singing to you while standing on your table in platforms....

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Wow Phillip I must say I now consider you one of the luckiest men on earth!!!!!

message 36: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments good times, to be sure.

message 37: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I absolutely love Ball of Fire!

message 38: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments stanwyck is just fantastic in ball of fire! usually i am not such a big fan of gary cooper, but he delivers the right stuff as well. and those goofy and sweet old professors...they're just golden.

message 39: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments My list- in no particular order:
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Little Women (do we see a theme?!)
Muriel's Wedding
Boogie Nights
Sideways
Office Space
Planet of the Apes
Goodfellas
Bottle Rocket

Also Rushmore, Grease and Saturday Night Fever. I'm eclectic!

message 40: by Phillip (last edited Apr 13, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments bottle rocket, and rushmore....nice to see wes anderson getting some praise here from someone besides me. i submitted some music to the music supervisor for office space, but my pieces were rejected...oh well. that didn't keep me from enjoying it!

also nice to see muriel's wedding on your list...there's an aussie film i should add in sam's thread on "films from down under". i think that is the first film i saw toni collette in. i've since become a fan of her work. (she was in it, right? please tell me i'm not losing what's left of my mind...)

message 41: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I adore Wes Anderson's films! They make me think and laugh, laugh, laugh! They are so witty.

Muriel's Wedding did indeed have Toni Collette in the starring role. I've followed her ever since. Have you seen Velvet Goldmine? That should be on my Guilty Pleasures list as I've watched it a couple of dozen times and think Collette does a great job with her part.

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments haven't seen velvet goldmine...is collette in it?

she's great in whatever she does, even if it's a little tiny part like she had in shaft. i liked her in little miss sunshine as well.

message 43: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Have you watched her on the HBO show The United States of Tara? She was fantastic.

As for Velvet Goldmine - SUCH a ode to Bowie...

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Collette plays the wife of Jonathon Rhys Meyers in Velvet Goldmine. And Terri you are absolutely right about the film paying homage to Bowie. The soundtrack is one of my favorites too.

I haven't gotten to watch The United States of Tara. I wanted to see it but kept forgetting to set the dvr. At some point when the first season dvd comes out I will rent it and catch up.

message 45: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta My list:

Harold and Maude
Tank Girl
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Bubba Ho-tep
Farewell My Concubine
Dead Man
City of Lost Children

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments Hi,
My list would be something like this, in no particular order:

Little Women
Pride and Prejudice and/or any Austen(Any version)
The Mummy
Clueless
Sister Act
Only You
The Parent Trap
Jurassic Park
LOTR 2(can't help it if the movie came out now, pity I didn't get to see it when I was younger)
Ruthless People

and maybe more...

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz | 5 comments No order
The First Wives Club
The Long,Long Trailer
Gidget
Emma
Sweet Home Alabama
Bringing DOwn THe House
Momma Mia
Bridget Jone's
Sex And The City
RV

message 48: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Gidget!!!???!!!

Goodness, it's been awhile since I've heard that name....

message 49: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments Post! Post!

message 50: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments The Princess Bride
Ruthless People
Clue
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Parent Trap - original
Star Wars: A New Hope
Scrooged
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Raiders of the Lost Ark