Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Now Voyager

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (last edited Mar 17, 2008 04:27AM) (new)

Alison I imagine this will be a pretty lonely post. Haha. I finally watched Now Voyager after having it at my house via Netflix for the past month (not really getting my money's worth there). This was an interesting movie, a little on the melodramatic side, but wonderfully so. I loved all the lingering looks, the tears, the emotionaly wrought cigarette smoking. Story aside, this was a vehicle for Bette Davis to show us why she reigns supreme as the mother of all Hollywood actresses. Surely no one has done transformation, physically and emotionally, as well as she did it in this movie (I'm talking to you Anne Hathaway of Princess Diaries!).

I had no idea what this was about, which made it all the more fabulous, and Bette Davis was kept hidden away from us mysteriously for the first few minutes as her the character of her horrid, tyrannical mother was set up (classic movie monster). But then she walks in...well I won't spoil the fun. But I can't resist at least this much: Ugly Bette, indeed!

The great title comes from this quote by Walt Whitman: "The untold want by life and land ne'er granted, / Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find" (from "The Untold Want)

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments I'm not much of a Bette fan -my favorite thing about "Now Voyager" is the Max Steiner score - but I think my perception was warped by the early 60s period where movie icons like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were turned into horror matrons. Nonetheless, I'm sure there are some undiscovered gems out there worth exploring.. Good luck.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth I loved "now, voyager", Alison. If you're going to have a bettefest, i suggest the little foxes and Jezebel. Sorry about the punctuation here, I'm lying in bed typing on my I-phone, because my laptop died.

message 4: by Alison (last edited Jan 07, 2008 11:34PM) (new)

Alison Awww, Robert, I'm so sad that you're not a Bette fan. She's amazing to me. Not traditionally beautiful at all--but so regal. Much like Katherine Hepburn. Thanks to "Thank You For Smoking", I'm very aware now of stars smoking in old movies, and it's so strange to see. The way Bette was blowing smoke out of her nose--I know she practiced that!

O.K., Beth. I'll start with those. I've seen neither.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments By huge coincidence, my e-mail this morning contained both a press release about a new Davis collection and a query about Davis and Max Steiner from a film-studies list.. Davis-mania is haunting me...

message 6: by Alison (last edited Jun 22, 2008 08:44PM) (new)

Alison The gods of Hollywood heard that you're not a fan, and they're out to change your mind. Don't cross Bette!

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic This is in my netflix queue, and I'm going to add the one's Beth mentioned as well. I'll post more once I've seen it.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Me too, Heather. I just added Jezebel & The Little Foxes. We'll compare notes later!

message 9: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I saw this movie a few years ago on my local PBS.
Its so deliciously full of 40's melodrama and glamour, a perfect vehicle for Bette Davis.

I especially love her first scene on the boat when we first see her after her transformation; it reminds me of the firt scene of young Rose in Titanic.....closeup of the enormous hat, then pull back to see the beautiful woman underdeath.

I was on a flight from Rio to Miami a few years ago. I dont usually talk to the people next to me, but this time it was a 40ish Brazilian college professor. Apparently he taught American litterature and he said he often showed this movie to his students.

They were amazed at the way Americans portrayed Brazil as a glamourous sort of Disneyland, full of beautiful and exotic human beings.

The chemistry between Bette Davis and Paul Henried is intense, but you know they will never go to bed with each other.

"lets not reach for the moon; we have the stars"

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5276 comments The book is really interesting too. It was reprinted within the last few years, seek it out if you can.