What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Velcome
This topic is about Velcome
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Dark, illustrated children's story - Halloween or vampires? [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments I remember finding this book at my elementary school's library in the late 90's. It was an illustrated "book" (probably only about 25 pages actually) and I remember the artwork not being the best.

It was a dark book and I think it was about either vampires or halloween. There was a main kid with a dog, both dressed in costumes IIRC. At some point, the kid and his dog were getting chased by vampires I think.

The part that I remember most though was how it ended. Something happened to the dog and the narrator said something like, "For him, the nightmare is now over" and the book ended.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 28693 comments Mod
Benjamin, are you still looking for this book?

message 3: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments I am! Any leads?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Not yet...but 94 people have viewed this thread so keep bumping it every so often and eventually someone will know the answer.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments Still looking...

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 17383 comments Mod
A shot in the dark - Velcome by Kevin O'Malley? "In the first story, a boy is chased by a coffin; when he arrives home, he grabs a box, throws a cough drop at the coffin, "AND the coffin stopped."

Benjamin, can you describe the pictures - cartoony or realistic, bright or dark colors, funny or scary, etc.?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (horrorchicky) | 1 comments Could it be Bone Dog by Eric Rohmann?

If not, I hope you manage to find it soon.

message 9: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1060 comments That line, "For him, the nightmare is now over" sounds exactly like the kind of thing they would put in a bad ending of a choose-your-own-adventure type book. I'm almost sure I read that line or something very similar in one of those.

Could it be:

Haunted Halloween Party (Choose Your Own Adventure, #37) by Susan Saunders

The Haunted House (Choose Your Own Adventure Young Readers, #2) by R.A. Montgomery

Biting for Blood (Choose Your Own Nightmare, #7) by Edward Packard

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments Definitely not Bone Dog... it's too recent.
I think it might be The Haunted House CYOA! It's at my local library, so I'm going to check there the next time I go to see if that's right. Thanks!

message 11: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1060 comments Benjamin wrote: "Definitely not Bone Dog... it's too recent.
I think it might be The Haunted House CYOA! It's at my local library, so I'm going to check there the next time I go to see if that's right. Thanks!"

Great! Good luck!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?

message 13: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments now that I'm returning to this topic, I think it's more than likely Velcome, but I haven't been able to find a copy to check. it can be marked solved for now!

message 14: by Kris (last edited Dec 05, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Kris | 17383 comments Mod
Here's one image from inside Velcome by Kevin O'Malley. The artwork is quite distinctive. This page is hosted by Google's Blogger.com service:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bNwMwIe6lHs...

message 15: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 14 comments Yeah, that's definitely it. Thanks for the help!