FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Hurdles > St. Patty's Day Plan

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mary elizabeth (last edited Mar 11, 2009 03:29PM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams Its good to go in with a plan. Thats what they (meaning WW, etc) say. So plan, plan, plan. What are you doing for St. Patrick's Day- are you planning to inbibe in the Guinness and Green Ham? How about the fish and chips? Or, are you planning to stick to the boiled cabbage (another Irish favorite)?

I am going out to dinner with my bf's parents to an Irish pub. While I am planning to drink the Guinness, I looked at the menu online and already decided what I want. But my problem is, I always come up with a plan, have a few beers, and decide I have been so good this week I "deserve" a hamburger with french fries, topped with fried pickles, cheese, and mayo. So, this time I am anticipating and have an idea.
1. I already know what I want, why look at the menu when I know I will be tempted to change my mind. No menu peeking.
2. I will order a box with my meal and split what I am served in half. No questions asked. I am mildly afraid of looking like a freak at the table, but I think I can do it discretly enough to avoid a lot of questions.
3. I will drink as much Guinness as I want. That is the point of St. Patty's Day and I don't want to leave feeling like I deprived myself. I want to have a good time and enjoy the holiday. I do have red hair after all!

What are your plans and ideas?

Just as an FYI.... the Nutrition Facts for Guinness on draught (not the Guinness Extra, important distinction):
126 calories
10g carbohydrates
According to my new favorite book, Eat This, Not That, "It might taste like a meal in a bottle, but Guinness Draught can compete with many light beers as a low-cal standby." Great news for us imbibers!!

Long post, I know, but I had a lot to get out there I've been thinking about.

message 2: by Dorie (last edited Mar 11, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 158 comments Mod
Great post, Beth! I was just thinking about this earlier today...

My sis and brother-in-law are visiting this weekend so that we can all go out together in Chicago for St. Patty's on Sat. When they visit, we all are in vacation mode (meaning lots of eating out, because there are so many places that they love in the city).

One of our meals will be sushi, so I can have a couple of veggie rolls and will be safe. But the other meal ideas (chicago style pizza, for example) are not so healthy. And then there are the drinks...

As soon as I know for sure where we will be going, I'll try to make a plan for what I can eat. That's a great idea to immediately put half of the portion in the take home box! One of the hardest things for me is when the nutritional info isn't readily available. I try to guess at the # of WW points, and I'm sure I'm usually way off.

I'm not a big beer drinker (though I love hard cider), so I plan to stick to lower calorie mixed drinks, like Effen Black Cherry Vodka with soda water (69 calories).

message 3: by Trudy (last edited Mar 12, 2009 06:22AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I am thankful that this is one holiday I don't have to worry about... lol...

I may actually be Irish if we trace my dad's lineage. My joke has always been "he's too stubborn to admit we're Irish" but since I am just soooo not a drinker I would probably be kicked out of the club anyways ; )

I love your plan about looking at the menu before you go, making a choice and not giving yourself a chance to change your mind in the restaurant. I have that issue - I go in thinking I will have a salad, see the menu/pretty pictures of hamburgers and change it up at the last minute - not good!

The corned beef and cabbage does sound good, but I will leave that up to you ladies. Let me know how you made out!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Mmmm, cabbage!

A plan, a plan. Yes, enact a plan. Hey, that means I get to do some party planning. Most excellent!

re: ordering a box... Fantastic idea, and I don't think people will look at you like you're nuts. I'll betcha half of 'em will wish they would have thought of that themselves. Seriously!

mary elizabeth  Williams every night now I repeat what I am going to order-- is this sad or what? My new mantra is "salsa tuna, salsa tuna." I feel like this is a defining moment in my weight loss, the ultimate hurdle.

message 6: by Dorie (new)

You can do it, Beth!

mary elizabeth  Williams Thanks Dorie!

message 8: by Dorie (new)

Beth, how did it go?

My plans got a little off track - the sushi place we were planning to go to ended up being closed on Sat. (I've never heard of a restaurant that is closed on Sat. and open on Sun - whatever!)Instead of veggie rolls, I ended up having a very buttery grilled brie and mushroom sandwich and a lavender lemon mimosa.

Overall though, I wasn't TOO bad all weekend - I definitely ate and drank more than usual, but I didn't go completely crazy. I will be perfectly happy if I just maintain last week's weight!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Lavender lemon mimosa??????????
Oh my god, you peeps are killing me with the kick ass new drink recipes. WHAT in the world is a lavender lemon mimosa?

Hip Hip Hooray for not going completely crazy! :)

message 10: by Dorie (last edited Mar 16, 2009 10:03AM) (new)

I can't resist a beautiful cocktail! ;) Especially a $3 St. Patty's mimosa special.

message 11: by mary elizabeth (last edited Mar 17, 2009 08:07AM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams well... the ordering went great. I was really proud of myself. But, when I ordered a box with my meal I did it really discreetly and quietly, and my BF's father said: "What?" and when I explained he said "WHY?" Really loud, then it became the table conversation topic. I was mortified. Then there was not enough room at the table for me to box up half and everyone had to make a deal out of that.
So... I was successful in my plan, but not to happy that I had to explain.
But why should I be embarassed that I am trying to control my portions??

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That's right Beth - to heck with them!!! You are doing something good and healthy for you... It doesn't matter what they think of it and for them to make you feel bad about it - shame on them!

The funny part is now that you have done it... I would bet at least one person does it or THINKS of doing it the next time they eat out. Everyone I know is trying to lose weight at some level....

message 13: by Dorie (new)

Oh, I can totally picture that happening! People typically get boxes at the end of a meal, but is it really that mind-boggling that you would ask for it at the beginning?! Glad that you stuck to your plan! Well, from now on you should be able to dine with your bf's parents without having to explain yourself again - now that they know to expect the box!

You story reminds me of the year that I asked my mom to get me a nice bathroom scale for Christmas. We always open our presents from her on Christmas night with just my siblings, so I never worry about opening "embarrassing" gifts. Well, my mom also buys gifts for my grandma to give to us at the big extended family Christmas lunch, when we sit around in a huge circle of 30 people and open gifts in turn. Of course, there I am opening up the scale in front of everyone. I might as well have yelled out, "Yes, look at me! I need to lose weight!" Mom, what were you thinking?!

mary elizabeth  Williams I am so sorry Dorie! That sounds awful!

And yes, Trudy, you are right. Next time I will not need to explain and I think it will go more smoothly!! The first time you start a new habit is always the hardest.
Try, try again!

message 15: by Dorie (new)

The "scale incident" has become one of the Silly Mom stories that my sisters and I laugh about, so I have not been scarred for life. :)