Haruki Murakami fans discussion

After Dark

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) I just started reading Murakami's novel "After Dark". Has anyone else here read it or is anyone else in the process of reading it?

message 2: by JBP (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

JBP I'm getting ready to read it too. I know absolutely nothing about the plot--how I kind of like it--so I'm curious to see what unfolds.

message 3: by Jeannine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Jeannine | 3 comments I finished After Dark recently and I was thrilled with it; I thought it was a perfect example of what Murakami does well with scene, dialogue, characters, and the weaving of myth and pop culture into a realistic story.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) I finished reading After Dark last week and I quite enjoyed it. There are lots of elements packed into that slim novel.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (bobsywoo) | 7 comments I finished reading this tonight and really enjoyed this. I like the quicker novels sometimes as a change of pace from some of his more challenging novels.

I love the contrast between sleep and the late hours where strange things happen. What I like about Murakami is how his novels have a dreamlike quality and After Dark's night time setting is the perfect setting for this.

message 6: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments I liked it, it was very Murakami, but bite sized, a nice break in between epic sagas like 1Q84 & Windup Bird.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments I wouldn't say I was thrilled by it...but I would say that it's a good starter book for Murakami because you get to see very quickly, the good, the quirky, and a little bit of what tends to disappoint in his work.

I strongly believe that you find out a lot about an author in his or her lesser works.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jcr1) | 3 comments Based on some of the first comments on this thread, I got it and started it, have read 1Q84 and Wind-up Bird. After Dark seems to be the quintessential Murakami. He slips the boundaries of reality, of conventional plot casualty, while demonstrating a mastery of setting, character, scene construction and mood. About 40% thru so far and like it very much. Expect to continue analyzing and wondering what it all means. That is much of what I enjoy abou this author.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments Anyone ever read Pinball 1973? I used to have a Japanese copy, but had to get rid of it in a move. Still too difficult for me to read many books in Japanese.

message 10: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 41 comments I found it for free online, but I have not read it yet. Soon very soon...

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments Natalia wrote: "I found it for free online, but I have not read it yet. Soon very soon..."

really? link?

message 12: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 41 comments I can't remember where I found the free ePub. :(

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon (jcr1) | 3 comments I googled the title, Pinball 1973, and several free download sites came up, with different formats, pdf, mobi, etc.

message 14: by Kikyosan (new)

Kikyosan | 11 comments I finished Afterdark recently and this is the first time I find something "unclear" in Murakami's works.
There is a lot of Murakami's essence here, and I really liked it, the characters, the night, the atmosphere...this was food for my thoughts! But some elements were not on the same frequency, so I was not so attuned with them. The entire part of the sleepy sister, the monitors, the "drone-like" point of view (with the first person plural!)... I have the strange feeling I missed something, as I have always appreciated and understood every details in Murakami's works, especially in his "oniric" sphere. Maybe I was not in the right state of mind to get the point with Afterdark.
However, this is an incentive to re-read this book.

message 15: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 6 comments Thanks, and I will now remember to read thatvstory with more focus. . .btw could you help me relocate a story in which a couple have a happenstance encounter from dropping into adjacent seats for the movie Brief Encounter and sharing an umbrellah. . .and their relatiionship is aluminsting, but the man still relocated to a deserted area withdrawing from social life.my email is dkrenner@gmail.com