The Sweet Gum Tree The Sweet Gum Tree discussion

Loved this

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte I loved this book. I really related to the imagery the author created in this book. The flower beds, the garden of vegetables during the summer time. I laughed at the advice her family gave her while she was pregnant.
This book is a keeper. The characters, Nick and Alix, stayed with me long after I finished reading this. So much that I had to go back through it a 2nd time and reconnect to the characters and their trials, tribulations and undying love. ahhhh

Kendra This is one of my all time favorites

deeza45 yeah, i loved it too. i've been looking for books like this but i haven't found any

Chas Totally a favorite! LOVED this book :)

Carrie I agree....a must read,and it does stay with you for a long time!

Joanna Wylde I read this book in one sitting. An incredibly talented author! Of course, books like this are frustrating because it's so hard to figure out what to read afterward that doesn't suck...

Vanessa Shell I loved this book, ticked almost every box for me!!

Julie LOVED this too too, but it needs to come with a tear jerker warning label.

Kelly Loved this book!!!

Charlotte Julie wrote: "LOVED this too too, but it needs to come with a tear jerker warning label."

So true...The scene where nick has his emotional break down tore at my heart. That part was very emotional.

Charlotte deeza45 wrote: "yeah, i loved it too. i've been looking for books like this but i haven't found any"

I've had the same problem. After reading a great book, it's really hard finding something that will hold your interest. What else have you read that were good reads? I'm looking for something to read now but haven't come across anything interesting.

Charlotte Did anyone else want more details about the 15 years that were breezed through?

Chickie Deeza and Charlotte, Try looking into Sleeping at the Magnolia. I always recommend this book when people ask for something similar to "The Sweet Gum Tree".

"Sleeping At The Magnolia": Loner Colley Rawlins has loved Lainie Thorne since he rescued her from a flooding creek when she was 11 and he was 14. But she is the pampered daughter of the plantation overseer, and he is the illegitimate grandson of the plantation owner. Theirs is a clandestine friendship, at first pure and innocent. Colley's difficult childhood makes him far more mature than Lainie, and he forces himself to wait for her to grow up. She's 17 before they are finally able to acknowledge the deeply rooted love and passion that has grown between them. But Lainie's father hates Colley, and fate sets in motion a series of tragic events that tears the young lovers apart. Three years later, Colley returns to town, older, wiser, and ready to claim his beloved. However, Lainie hasn't been able to put the past behind her. Her guilt for what happened is still a huge obstacle, and Colley has to fight his grandfather, his cousin, and Lainie herself to restore their love. Set against the canvas of a Tennessee tobacco farm and the lazy life of a small southern town, author Lisa Brown skillfully lures readers into an engrossing story of jealousy, revenge, murder, and--at long last--love.

Julie Nik wrote: "Deeza and Charlotte, Try looking into Sleeping at the Magnolia. I always recommend this book when people ask for something similar to "The Sweet Gum Tree".

"Sleeping At The Magnolia": Loner Colle..."

Well BUMMER, it's not available in Kindle format :(

message 15: by Chickie (last edited Jan 30, 2013 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chickie It should be decently easy to find used because it's an out of print book, too.

Julie Nik wrote: "It should be decently easy to find use because it's and out of print book, too."

I only buy Kindle books these days, I have no room to store physical books these days.

Chickie Dangit! Lol. I know what you mean. I have a whole room full of them. (sorry about typos earlier.)

Julie Nik wrote: "Dangit! Lol. I know what you mean. I have a whole room full of them. (sorry about typos earlier.)"

I packed all my books up and put them in storeage (30 boxes of them).

Chickie Good night! I only have about 10 boxes and I thought that was too many. I could probably reduce that number, but I have this awful habit of convincing myself that I might want to read a book again if I were to get rid of it (Nevermind that I haven't read some of them in years). I think I have hoarding tendencies when books are involved. lol.

Charlotte Nik wrote: "Deeza and Charlotte, Try looking into Sleeping at the Magnolia. I always recommend this book when people ask for something similar to "The Sweet Gum Tree".

"Sleeping At The Magnolia": Loner Colle..."

WOW! This sounds really good. I'll check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chickie You are very welcome. Good books are meant to be shared!

Charlotte Nik wrote: "You are very welcome. Good books are meant to be shared!"

I totally agree! I just ordered "Sleeping at the Magnolia" from Amazon. I should get it by Friday. That way I can start my weekend with a good book. :-)

message 23: by Charlotte (last edited Feb 04, 2013 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte Thanks for the recommendation. I read Sleeping at the Magnolia and it was a really good love story. It was very intriguing to find out how it would end. I only wished the story ended with another love scene (this time when she is not drunk and can have vivid memories)--but oh well. I enjoyed it

Karima If you liked "The sweet gum tree". maybe you'll like "After the night" by Linda Howard too. Or "Sugar Daddy" by Lisa Kleypass.

Charlotte Thanks for the recommendations, Karima. I'll look for the 2 books you mentioned.

Chickie Charlotte, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The one "sweet" (or fade to black) love scene is pretty typical of that author. I've read all of her books and I can't think of any that differ from that formula.

Charlotte It is no problem. After I realized it was Colley with her instead of Preston, I had to go back to that part and read it again. :-)

Melodie A really beautiful story ! I loved it so much ! It was very emotionnal and so beautifully written !

Charlotte Melodie wrote: "A really beautiful story ! I loved it so much ! It was very emotionnal and so beautifully written !"

I agree. I truly enjoyed it, too. Books of these kind are very hard to find.

Vivi15jr loved loved this book oh my god one of my favorite books of all time wow oh wow but yes needs a day to get over theears

Charlotte Vivi15jr wrote: "loved loved this book oh my god one of my favorite books of all time wow oh wow but yes needs a day to get over theears"

I agree Vivi15jr.... This book tore at my heart and I felt a lot of the emotions with the characters. Definitely one of my all time favorite books.

Melodie Another book that will stay with you forever is The edge of never ... it was so intense and beautiful too !

Vicka Liu I recommmend after forever ends by Melodie Ramone.

Paula This was a great read. I loved the book so much, I wish I didn't have to finish it. The story was so real, earthy, emotional. I am now afraid that every book after this one will not measure up.

Terri Paula wrote: "This was a great read. I loved the book so much, I wish I didn't have to finish it. The story was so real, earthy, emotional. I am now afraid that every book after this one will not measure up."

One of my very favorites ! love it !

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ I loved The Sweet Gum Tree! It took me some time to move on to another book. I just couldn't let go of these characters and story. I think they wrung every emotion possible out of me. 5 stars is not enough!