Movies We've Just Watched discussion

"once"

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel this is a fantastic independent film that everyone should check out. it's a modern musical, and the music is absolutely gorgeous. the plot is a slower tempo, but the two leads have excellent chemistry. long story short, if you haven't already seen it, do so ASAP.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments I started watching this a while ago and couldn't get interested. Gave it a second chance about three weeks ago and was won over, not only by the personalities of the two performers but by the sad reality of the film itself, its meandering lack of a plot and bittersweet ending.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth I'm listening to the soundtrack now! I love it. Hope to get the movie from Netflix this week.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 4 comments Lovely film: gentle pace, honest characters and memorable music.

message 5: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 7 comments The film is amazing. Glen Hansard is one of my all time favorite musicians (his band The Frames is also one of my favorite bands) and his song writing is just, beautiful. The simplicity in this movie, and the complexity lying within it, is really moving.

It was one of my favorite movies of 2007.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Also one of my favorite moves of 2007. It started out a bit slow, and I wasn't sure what to expect, but once the two leads starting singing together I was hooked. The music is stunning. The emotion is palpable. I immediately went out and bought the soundtrack and I listen to it all the time now. I agree, Glen Hansard is amazing.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I have this on my netflix as well. I heard Bob Dylan of all people really loved this film. I can't wait to see it...what are the songs like?

Ed

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments I'm not entirely surprised to hear that Dylan likes it. Hansard and Irglova are among the performers on the "I'm Not There" soundtrack.

message 9: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments I love the soundtrack!!!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel the songs remind me a bit of damien rice, though they are more stripped down. if you're an indie or folk fan, you will love it - no question.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for mentioning this film! I remember seeing it advertised when out at the cinemas, and would have totally forgotten about it otherwise. Have now added it to my rental list!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth just watched this and loved it. I agree, great chemistry between the leads. Their interactions were nicely understated, even in the most poignant moments. The songs are amazing. I've been listening to the soundtrack for several days now. I am definitely going to check out the frames. I wonder, in the scene when the guy meets the band members on the street in the movie, does anyone know who that statue is? My husband says it's the lead singer of thin lizzy. He's probably right, but I just thought it would be weird to have a statue of him on a street in Dublin.

message 13: by Arctic (new)

Arctic I'd heard good things about this film and was planning to watch it eventually - but wow! the soundtrack is really great. I went to listen to it after reading this thread. So glad I did. That movie will have to be bumped up.

message 14: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) | 80 comments My wife and I went to see this a year ago. She wanted to see "Waitress" and I wanted to see Once. We compromised and watched both. We both favoured Once more, however. The subtlety and tone of the film give it a refereshing quality that resonate with people, I think. Surely one of the best of last year, by far.

message 15: by Jenn (last edited Jul 02, 2008 07:53AM) (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Such a real and awesome movie. The first time I saw it I fell asleep and woke up with one of those "what just happened" feelings. I rented it again and loved it. I also love the soundtrack and am dropping hints that I want it for Valentine's along with a couple of The Frames cds. I've been burning up youtube for the past week listening to all of their songs.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen There's another thread of discussion on this board about the movie that all of you may want to check out. The title of the thread is Once (DVD). If you're interested in reading those comments.

message 17: by Tama (new)

Tama (anperneecate) This is the kind of film I love..simply well done.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison Beth: I think Chris was right. Wasn't this the statue? (Click, then scroll down to picture of statue).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Lynott

This is a lovely film. It will renew your belief in people, human connection, and art. At only 85 minutes...everyone should check it out!

message 19: by JHHK (new)

JHHK JHHK | 16 comments The first time I saw it I was expecting great storytelling, and left dissapointed. The second time I saw it I went in expecting a great concert film, and now it's one of my favorites. Funny how the mind works...

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Loved this film. I wasn't sure in the first 20 minutes or so if I was going to like it, but it grew on me past that point and then stayed with me for days afterward, leaving me happy and sad at the same time. Very unique, very real. "Falling Slowly" deserved the Oscar it won.

message 21: by Karin (new)

Karin | 51 comments I absolutely loved this movie. We rented it on a whim, but totally fell in love with it. Greg's aunt and cousins went to see Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova in concert in Ohio and they said that they were even better live. We are waiting for them to come to NY (Sept)