The Catcher in the Rye The Catcher in the Rye question

Holden Caulfield is a repetitive sunuvabitch
Leon RE Leon (last edited Jan 12, 2013 02:25PM ) Jan 12, 2013 04:48AM
He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is.

Holden was nothing more than a complainer. There had been many times that I would of wanted to tell him to just suck it up, and that's life is a bitch and you really gotta deal with it, and not complain so god damn much. He thinks that everyone's a phony, while he himself is an emo kid, and thinks that he had such a hard life etc. I just really disliked this book so much. I would not red it ever again.

I adore Holden. He's opinionated and sassy.
For Christmas I was given a t-shirt that says "Holden Caulfield thinks you're a phony".

By far Salinger's absolute worst work. Why his worst writing gets the most praise is something that still baffles me.

@Emily: I call bullshit. My ex was molested, and I never heard him whine as much as Holden did (though the topic of sex made him uncomfortable). Holden is nothing like this; he spent a third of the book being unnaturally horny. He was never molested, he's just a whiny little shit.

Leon wrote: "He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is."
Holden ...? Is that you?

Drives. Me. Insane. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is a classic and all, but for the life of me, I don't think I could make myself read it twice. It was rough enough the first time. If I see the word "phony" one more damn time.....

F 25x33
Cosmic Arcata WW2 was nicked name the 'phoney war'. This book is more alegorical. Look at where and when he uses the word phoney. There is more there than meets the ...more
May 30, 2015 02:24PM

Sometimes he was okay, but for the most part, he did get kind of irritating.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like there's something I missed out on with this book, but I just didn't like it very much. I'm up for reading more Salinger for sure, but Catcher in the Rye just wasn't remarkable at all for me.

Mkfs Give Nine Stories a shot. Catcher in the Rye really isn't Salinger at his best; dunno why critics and high school teachers fell so in love with it. It ...more
May 15, 2015 03:34PM

He may be repititive, but he is a pretty accurate repersentation of teenagers; we whine, complain, and repeat ourselves constantly.

Example: "School sucks. Homework is so stupid. What's the point? I mean, like, we're, like, never going to use geometry, like ever, in real life."

At least Holden Caulfield complains about life in a different way.

I loved Holden, then as I grew up into a adult I found him annoying. But I still think I love him.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tK6...

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
By The Platters
They asked me how I knew
My true love was true
I of course replied
Something here inside cannot be denied
They said "someday you'll find all who love are blind"
When your heart's on fire,
You must realize, smoke gets in your eyes
So I chaffed them and I gaily laughed
To think they could doubt my love
Yet today my love has flown away,
I am without my love (without my love)
Now laughing friends deride
Tears I cannot hide
So I smile and say
When a lovely flame dies, smoke gets in your eyes
(Smoke gets in your eyes, smoke gets in your eyes)
Smoke gets in your eyes

Holden does run for cover to the merry go round...or roulette wheel...he put on the hunting hat..."the people hunting hat"....which is what the confidence game of the 1929 stock market crash led to WW2. And they were preparing for this war long before Hitler. Actually when they created the Versailles Treaty...because it was unconscionable. They killed the German economy When Money Dies: The Nightmare Of The Weimar Hyper Inflation

And GM (General Motors bought the Holden company in Australia in 1930 and turned it into a war making plant).

Think about what it would take to build a war machine...factories. Oh Ford. Think about our educational system that tries to produce robots that can accept life in a factory without too much creativity....feeble minded. "Do what we're told."

Some people will see this and some won't. It is only up to me to tell you what i see.

Hope you enjoy reading this brilliant work....and look up the names...like Spencer.

Why shouldn't he be irritating? He's a kid, smarter than most, but that comes with its own set of problems. But he's a kid nonetheless.

Why is Holden Caulfield is a repetitive sunuvabitch? .... because we all are sometimes

I believe Holden was repetitive, but it was for good reason. I believe we all have certain words or phrases we use in our daily life. For example, I'm always saying the word really. Holden uses terms like madman. It's just a part of him.

Cosmic (last edited May 29, 2015 07:27PM ) May 29, 2015 07:12PM   0 votes
Sure and back in WW2 you had code breakers that were actually looking for these repetitive type syntax. I think that he has used that idea to embed a deeper meaning than the one the printing press Cliff Notes and other testing agencies would like us to see. Good thing they test people...not because it makes them smarter but to make sure they are all believing the same 'dope'. If religion is the opium of the people education is the modern opium.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Because just like Pency Prep gave these boys a sense of entitlement...it is the same system that ensures that we have the disenfranchised. The Phoebes (or feeble) of the world. Put one on one side and one on the other side. Compare them objectively. Can we really create "My Fair Lady"? Maybe in actors but it would be as hard as speaking without an accent. Not impossible but you have to be determined and hang with natives. The entitled are not naturally given over to hanging with those that do not raise them. Look at The Great Gatsby

I think the problem with people's interpretation of this book is that Salinger was using the cultural literature of his time....movies, and literature and even architecture, to explain historical bringing about of WW2.

I suggest you reread TCITR...and instead of reading it as literal read it as an allegory...see the characters, the symbols such as the different brands of cars....as symbols that are creating a code that when looked at....like the pictures that look abstract and then a 3-D image pops out...and after that you are not able to look at it the same way again.

Your response really was my initial response as well. I am sick of the cussing and repetitive slang. But when i got to the end of the book and read about the carousel playing Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

It's a love-hate relationship for me. At times, while I was reading the book, I said to myself "Yes Holden! I know exactly what you mean, I get you" but in other parts I was like "My God Holden, shut the hell up, you whiny bitch".

deleted member Jan 12, 2013 04:46PM   0 votes
*like* <-- my artificial like button
I am so far agreeing with all of the comments made here. I get him, but I don't, but that is what makes the insufferable kid so entertaining!

He really is one of the great fictional characters of any novel... repetitive I suppose but certainly compelling non the less.

Leon wrote: "He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is."

Let's get married! I think I am in love.

He's egotistical and irritating, for sure.

I think that the book shows truth and is great. But it was so confusing at times, to tell you the truth. It really was.

I think you win, sir lol

Just one of the many traits that make him interesting.

Look at all the attention Lindsey Lohan's antics earn her.

His repetitiveness is just part of his personality. I love this book very much and I even have his name tattooed on my back. Some people hate this book because Holden come off as jerk sometimes, but you have to realize he's 16 or 17. But he is a very sensitive boy who just doesn't know how to live in a world where everyone has to conform.

The kid was too far ahead of his time.
I mean, like

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
The Great Gatsby (other topics)
When Money Dies: The Nightmare Of The Weimar Hyper Inflation (other topics)