Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2009 Match-Ups > The White Tiger vs. Harry, Revised

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) I really enjoyed The White Tiger so it's definitely my pick to advance. I haven't read Harry, Revised so there isn't much of a fight in my mind over which to pick. I loved the contradictions inside the main character and how the author reigned in what to reveal about him.

The White Tiger also tromps Harry, Revised in the cover category.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments Woo hoo, I've read both of these!
White Tiger, all the way. It has a unique voice, the story was fast paced and the location was interesting. When a writer enables you to root for someone as morally ambiguous as White Tiger's narrator, you've got a winner.

Harry, Revised basically boils down to a sitcom plot. There were times that it rose above, and things I really enjoyed about it, but it is a bit clumsily written, and nowhere near as good as White Tiger. It's interesting that these two were pitted against each other, because Harry does questionable things as well, but it was near impossible for me to root for him for most of the book. I think this was because the author was trying to have him evolve over the coarse of the story, but the evolution came off a bit contrived.

But I have to say, I really like both covers.

message 3: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 25 comments I'm only about a third of the way through White Tiger, but it's really good so far. The only thing I know about Harry, Revised is that it's by the on TOB judge whose reviews I never seem to like. So, White Tiger it is for me.

message 4: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) I disagree on the White Tiger's critique so I am shocked at the outcome of this ruling!

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph | 10 comments I haven't read The White Tiger, but I fully intend to. I did read the first 60 pages of Harry, Revised, and I just couldn't get into the writing. It seemed like it was trying too hard and felt very manic to me. For that reason, I would have preferred The White Tiger to win, but I'm actually not all that surprised the judge picked Harry. It just seemed like the kind of book a ToB judge would enjoy...

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 50 comments I completely forgot theses matches were daily but I would have lost these last two.

The White Tiger has been on my to read list for a while and would have been my choice. It also seemed the contender with the best chance of knocking off 2666. But clearly, this tournament is proving any book has a shot if it gets to the right judge.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.