FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Hurdles > home and lonely

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

mary elizabeth  Williams Hi all, My live-in boyfriend is going to a conference for a week, leaving me home alone in our apartment. Any suggestions on how to avoid over-eating and over-drinking? Trudy, I think your husband goes away alot. Do you have any hints for things to avoid?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I've always heard the "if it's not in the house, you won't eat it" rule. So be careful when you're shopping.

Says the guy who bought a bigass bag of peanut M and Ms at Costco this past weekend

message 3: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 158 comments Mod
I've run into that problem before when my bf is gone (though I'm not sure if I eat more when he's here or when he's not). Anthony's right - if the bad food isn't readily accessible, you are a lot less likely to eat it. If you know you'll be in a snacky mood, plan out some healthy (or healthier) snacks ahead of time.

Also, give yourself some projects to stay busy so you aren't even thinking about food. Maybe there's a home improvement project or a hobby that you've been neglecting, but now that the bf is away you have plenty of time to do it. :)

message 4: by Trudy (last edited Mar 11, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO Anthony!!! That is a great rule and I generally do follow it... I would also add when hubby goes away, he HAS to eat all the bad stuff before he goes or just throw it out!!! (We saw that bag at costco and he got weak in the knees.)

And Dorie stole my second answer - stay busy!!! I read or plan things that are outside of the house altogether - errands, etc. I am trying to save money, so I won't stop and spend cash on junk when I know that I have some "real food" at home.

If I had to come up with something original... I would say plan a menu ahead. I do the best (even when hubby is home) when I know what I am going to eat and approximately when. So, I pack my lunch and know what I am going to have for dinner when I get home before I leave the house. So that is it - if it isn't in the lunch bag, i don't eat it. When I get home, I know that I can have a smoothie, a WW meal and a small snack. I know you said you bf cooks... have him make your favorite meal and portion it out for dinners... eat that with some veggies each night...

mary elizabeth  Williams All good ideas!! Thank you. I will do all of these things. In fact, I just threw away some random sports bars and a jar of peanut butter because I know that I will eat them when I am here alone and looking in the cupboards.
Thanks for the advice and support!

message 6: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I haven't been here in awhile, but if you're still in the situation, I would say anything in which you can keep busy. I find when I'm busy, I do better.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
You know, y'all are so very right about this whole "staying busy" thing. Staying busy is a cure for lots of stuff--over eating, depression, worry, etc, etc, etc. I should follow your lead and try to fill my life up more! Oy.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Ok, not exactly on topic, BUT. By stupid boyfriend is a stupid dummy and he has a VERY intense work schedule this month. But that's not what makes him a stupid dummy. What makes him a stupid dummy is that he basically refuses to let me come over to his house during those few hours he's working from home. Grrrr! He makes me so freaking mad! Seems like a good compromise if you ask me--he still gets to work and we still get to remember what each other looks like. But NOOOOOOOO. Whatever. He's a dummy.

So, anyway... These are the times when I overeat, because I'm pouting about how stupid my boyfriend is. Well, there are PLENTY of other times I overeat, too, but this is my current dilemma. Y'all send vibes to him so he remembers to at least call me. ;)

message 9: by Trudy (last edited Mar 25, 2009 05:53AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) There is one thing that I have discovered in my time with hubby... Men just generally think different than women. But the good news is they generally think simply and straight to the point. He is genuinely and absolutely mystified by things I tell him regarding how women think and the crazy things we do. The advantage I have is that all of the other women in his family tell him the same things, so "I" am not the crazy one. BUT he still doesn't "get it."

So all of that is to say, that while we think emotionally it is a good idea for you to go over while he is working so you can spend time together... He could be thinking - if you don't come over while I work, I could get done sooner and thus have time to spend with you. All a matter of perspective...

However, being a woman, I do encourage you to try to wear him down on the subject or at least get him to commit to a compromise - lol. All the energy spent on that, you won't have time to snack/over eat.

Of course, I would use the time for ME STUFF if I couldn't spend time with him... that is something that I didn't realize I would have to cut way back on when hubby moved in. I would watch some TV, read my book, or just sit in the living room and do nothing. All of these activities have been significantly curtailed (used my dictionary on that one) since he moved in. Not a bad thing, but I didn't realize how much I took controlling my own remote control for granted! : )

mary elizabeth  Williams I think it is all about finding a substitute for food-- instead of eating (or drinking beer, which is my problem) by your lonesome try doing something else. For me, the Wii Fit Free Step works, I can watch TV and do that at the same time and it takes my mind off beer and food. I also go for walks outside.
Its also important that if you do have a slip up and pig out that you don't beat yourself up about it. Instead, think about why it happened and how you can prevent it next time. I've been going through this process for a few months now, and it takes time to change bad habits.
Amanda, I would suggest taking a deep breath and not intensifying the situation. Or else this one argument could become a big issue in your relationship- speaking from experience.