Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Favourite Book-to-Film Adaptation?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 10 comments My favourite is Slaughterhouse-Five. I happened to catch this on PBS one night long after I read the book, and it was a fine experience.
It's easy to sympathize with the characters. The social commentary derived from the book manages to translate smoothly to the screen. The spirit of the book is captured well enough even with the changes that were made.
The movie overall feels fresh and exciting, and it makes me want to read the book again.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Can't pick just one:
Lonesome Dove
The Accidental Tourist
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Hours
Fearless (very underrated movie)
The Vanishing
The Constant Gardener
Brokeback Mountain

Worst: Neighbors

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Good:
Dracula with Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves
The name of the rose
Frankenstein - that version with Kenneth Branagh and Robert de Niro
Green Mile with Tom Hanks

Worst:
Memoirs of geisha

message 4: by Tressa (last edited Mar 11, 2009 06:33PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Green Mile is a good pick, Anna I loved the series and kept expecting the movie to disappoint. It did not.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Mar 11, 2009 10:41PM) (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Practiclly all adaptations of Stephen Kinng's works are great.

message 6: by Cookiesue9x (new)

Cookiesue9x (cookiesue) | 21 comments
I just watched COLD MOUNTain, I read the book and really liked the book, but, not the movie when it first came out (may have been seeing movie too close to when I read the book), I absolutely loved it when I saw it today in /on H.D. T.V.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

TWILIGHT!!!!! and the notebook!!

message 8: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 3 comments Man not all Stephen King adaptions are good(every single mini-series and tv movie). Most of his books are actually really good, its just that the movies aren't. One flew Over the Cukoos Nest was a good book to movie adaption.

message 9: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments The only book-to-film adaptations I remember liking are the "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy and "To Kill a Mockingbird". :)

message 10: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sashg) | 17 comments I loved :
1. The Godfather movies.
2. The last two Harry Potter movies
3. Lord of the Rings

I didn't care much for:
1. The Secret Window.
2. The Shawshank Redemption.
3. Like Water For Chocolate

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Mar 18, 2009 04:39AM) (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 50 comments To Kill a Mockingbird!! Yes!

I also felt, strangely, that the movie of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, fixed some of the literary problems I had with the book. I know it's not a significant work of literary fiction, but it was notable--especially for America's role!

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt | 218 comments I'll give big ups to TKaM (TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD). Also: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and THE GRAPES OF WRATH to name a few. Almost forgot, I've never read the book, only just found out it had been one, but if its anything like the film it has to be great, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

message 13: by Matt (new)

Matt | 218 comments WHITE DOG, COCKFIGHTER, FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, JACKIE BROWN/RUM PUNCH.

Razzleteddy (Shiera) (razzeleteddy) | 2 comments The Joy Luck Club.
The Lord of the Rings
Clockwork Orange

I believe I have more but can't remember right now so this should do.

message 15: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 2 comments Ordinary People comes immediately to mind. A lovely novel and a lovely film. As as I sit here mulling over the question, The Big Sleep also emerges as a candidate. I have no idea how many books I've read that I've also seen the movie adaption of, but no doubt there are many many more. They did an okay job adapting Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides. Cider House Rules is proababy the best of the John Irving book to film translations. The World According to Garp as a movie does not do justice to the book, but only because the book is so amazing and impossible to capture in a couple hours of screen time. Judged on its own merits Garp is a pretty decent film. I'll probably feel similarly about Love in the Time of Cholera once I watch the movie in its entirety. From the bit I've seen of it I'd guess that they put together a solid flick, but it is definitely a story meant to be read rather than watched. The film version of Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses was a solid adaption of his book. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to reading No Country for Old Men since I was quite satisfied with the movie and suspect it captured the essence of the book. The two worst adaptions I've seen to date of books I enjoyed are Bonfire of the Vanities and Life and Loves of a She Devil.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 50 comments I forgot about the Joy-Luck Club!! I also liked The Secret Life of Bees. I did not like the book very much, but really really enjoyed the movie.

message 17: by Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (last edited Mar 27, 2009 06:13AM) (new)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) | 96 comments Though I want to I have not read the book A Wrinkle in Time, but I watched the movie and it was cute so I was wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is anything like the book or not?

message 18: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments The Constant Gardener is a wonderful book and movie.

My all time fav adaptation is The Eglish Patient. Ondaatje's book is tedious, pretentious and boring while the movie's gorgeous. Love it.

message 19: by Phillip (last edited Aug 16, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments hmmmmm, quite a few good ones mentioned.

orson welles' film of kafka's the trial is a fave.

i also loved cronenberg's film of william s burroughs' naked lunch, even if the movie bears little resemblence to the book.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

interview with the vampire
harry potter and the halfblood prince.

message 21: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments I like the lord of the rings.

message 22: by Djll (new)

Djll | 950 comments The Tin Drum comes immediately to mind. I read the book just after seeing the movie, and was astonished at how closely the film followed the book. Up until the film ended, and there was still another half of the book to go!

To Kill A Mockingbird is a good one. And, although it has not so much to do with the book, I'm very fond of Kubrick's adaptation of King's The Shining.

The Wizard of Oz is probably more 'enjoyable' as the movie than the books, for today's audiences, anyway. But "better?" Dunno.

There are so many others I could mention...

Also, now watching all the Granada Television Sherlock Holmes series, and they are wonderfully vivid and faithful adaptations, for the most part.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

i like sherlock holmes... i wanna see the movie... but im afraid of what itll do to sherlock's reputation....

message 24: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments djll!

nice to see you posting here....the tin drum is a great film, but yeah, the film ends and there is a lot of book left hanging, but what he chose to focus on works, and gives the audience the crux of what (i think) gunter grass was trying to convey.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) The Hours

The Reader (actually like the movie more than the film)

message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. I'd add Seabiscuit, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer and the Bourne Identity.

Worst - Bonfire of the Vanities wins hands down!

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Joy wrote: "I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. I'd add Seabiscuit, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer and the Bourne Identity.

Worst - Bonfire of the Vanities wins hands down!"

Joy, I've never seen Bonfire, but I've heard that same comment from anyone who has seen it; I trust you really liked the book, though, right?

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy Diane wrote: "Joy wrote: "I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. I'd add Seabiscuit, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer and the Bourne Identity.

Worst - Bonfire of the Vanities wins hands down!"

Joy..."

I love the book - gave it 5 stars!
The move was a huge disappointment...

message 29: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Layer Cake - enjoyed both the book and the movie. The movie very closely followed the book. In fact, while I watched it, I felt as though it exactly followed the book (including exact wording). I could be wrong, but that is how it seemed. I want to qualify this by saying I read the book just days before seeing the movie, so I may be guilty of subconsciously filling in gaps.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments I liked the movie versions of Gone with the Wind (with Clark Gable) and believe it or not The Trial by Franz Kafka.

I loved reading GWTW and loved the movie even more, it was really faithful to the book and Margaret Mitchell's vision of the South.

I have a weird fascination with the Kafka book from my early teens. And the main character in the 1993 movie was well portrayed by Kyle MacLachlan. Kafka I found out lived most of his life in a sanitarium, strange how he could think of all these situations. He describes everything in a sort of horrifyingly skewed way. I can't remember how they did the place where he is called to hear his wrongs in the movie. Was it a ghetto of those times?

message 31: by St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures (last edited Aug 25, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments I do believe the Bourne Identity movies are better than the books. Robert Ludlum's prose makes me sleepy, if he were to read his story I would be snoring. I am just getting the hang of German/War movies, thank heavens for matt Damon!!

message 32: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments A wonderful book and a great movie: Gone Baby Gone. I'm also really looking forward to Shutter Island!

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Cissy wrote: "A wonderful book and a great movie: Gone Baby Gone. I'm also really looking forward to Shutter Island!"

Thanks for the Shutter Island reminder Cissy. I must read the book before the movie comes out. I heard the release date of the movie has been delayed to Feb 2010?

message 34: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Yeah, I heard that, too... The book is simply astounding, you must read it asap! And the film's trailer looks perfect.

Perhaps it'll come out on Valentine's Day? ;)

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Cissy wrote: "Yeah, I heard that, too... The book is simply astounding, you must read it asap! And the film's trailer looks perfect.

Perhaps it'll come out on Valentine's Day? ;)

"

I'll try to make it my next read. I have all of Dennis Lehane's books; I don't know why I never read this one. Everyone that read it raves about it.

message 36: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments His newest, The Given Day, is simply wonderful. I'm reading it right now, and it's a BIG read: 700 + pages! Yay!

message 37: by Diane (last edited Aug 30, 2009 08:09AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi Cissy - I have The Given Day also. (and I'm originally from Boston, so I know I'll find it interesting) Look forward to hearing your continued thoughts on it! Right now I'm reading a Wally Lamb book which is also 700+ pages, I just finished The Woman in White (600+ pages). I am calling this summer my Summer of Big Reads!

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy I loved The Given Day - can a movie version be far away? :)

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Oh, another Dennis Lehane fan!! Joy, will you see Shutter Island when it comes out?

message 40: by Joy (new)

Joy I need to read Shutter Island first. The movie release date has been put off until Feb. 2010 to postpone marketing costs (Paramount is having financial problems). So that gives me plenty of time to read the book! I also have Darkness, Take My Hand - anyone read that one?

message 41: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 618 comments Blindness, the virgin suicides, crash (cronenberg), willy wonka & the chocolate factory...

message 42: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i've been looking all over for a copy of the novel crash, but am not having much luck finding it.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Ariadna wrote: "Blindness, the virgin suicides, crash (cronenberg), willy wonka & the chocolate factory... "

I love Virgin Suicides adaptation.

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments Philip, that little book does seem to have dropped off the radar, doesn't it? I can remember a time when I could get on the NYC subway and see 4 people with copies of CRASH (yes, really true story).

message 45: by Phillip (last edited Nov 29, 2009 12:41AM) (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments i actually found it today at city lights.
:)

message 46: by Ceci (last edited Nov 29, 2009 02:39AM) (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Joy: Darkness, Take My Hand is wonderful. Quite sad but really a great read.

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments Philip: Cool. I'd be interested in what you think.

message 48: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments there are a few books i have to read before i get to crash. i'll let you know when i get to it. i read a few pages last night, and am excited to check ot out.

message 49: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments You can spare yourself the experience of seeing the Adrian Lyne remake of LOLITA. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

On second thought, yeah, I would wish it on my worst enemy.

message 50: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10781 comments the thin man is a nice adaptation...

i'm excited to read kobo abe's book woman in the dunes....the film is outstanding, as are the other two from that teshigahara trilogy...all based on stories by abe.

« previous 1