Ballet Dancers discussion

Pointe Shoe Dilema (did I spell that right?)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 162 comments For the past month I have been injured and out of dancing. I am now back to dancing and back to pointe on Monday. Before I was injured, My mum got me a pair of pointe shoes. They never felt quite right, but I kept trying them.now,I have tried them on again, and they are too small. My mom said she would by me a new pair until I wear out the new ones. They really hurt my feet, but I want to do pointe again. What should I do????

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe it's the padding you are using. What kind of padding are you using?

message 3: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (qwertyuiop) | 165 comments Mod
Talk to ur teacher and say that they hurt, then maybe she will tell ur mom to get u new ones

Alice Cullen ( Madison ) | 34 comments i think you should do what izzy said.

message 5: by Milana (new)

Milana (tutuintopointe) | 120 comments Do what Izzy said.

message 6: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 162 comments I use lamb wool pads in my new ones, I used to use gel( I loved them, but they made my toes curl, so the lady told me to switch) I will talk to my teacher.

message 7: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 162 comments Thanks sooooooooo much. I haven't had much experience with injuries and pointe yet!

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 1 comments You could always break them if Mum won't get you another pair. The fitting of pointe shows is extremely important and Mum may not understand, plus they are so expensive. Get your Mum to read this, taken from another site:
It can take 1-2 hours to fit the first pair of shoes, and although this may seem a long time to most dancers, I want you to dance as safely as possible on pointe. This helps to prevent any injuries that may occur from a badly fitted shoe. The foot has its own natural 3 point support system when stood on the flat: when you go up on pointe, this is lost, so the shoe becomes your support. Always remember, your feet are needed for your whole life, not just for the years when you dance.

When the shoe is a good fit, it should be like a glove. The toes should be straight and in a normal position inside the shoe when flat and on pointe, the foot should never slip down the shoe, but feel held by the box.

It is essential that you wear correctly fitted shoes to avoid long term damage occurring to your feet