Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why discussion

Thirteen Reasons Why

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Gaby Despite the fact i HATE books about death, this book was really good.I thought it would be a little boring but when I read the first chapter I was absolutely induldged. The premise was interesting.

So do think so? Did you like the book or did you think it was some silly old book that meant nothing? Write back!!!!

Sydney I really liked the book; it gave me a lot to think about. I liked the way the book showed how several small actions can have an overwhelmingly negative affect on someone who is feeling depressed and marginalized.

Gaby Yah same here when i finished it i wondered if High schoolers go through this or if that never happens. since im not in high school

Sydney When I was in high school sometimes little things--like a crush ignoring me in the hallway--seemed like HUGE big deals at the time. I think the fact that Hannah felt isolated & had problems at home colored the way she saw everything else.

Scott I loved the book. It meant a great deal to me.

message 6: by Gaby (last edited Mar 09, 2008 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby I know! the book was really great and now i think twice whenever people are "kidding" when they say they going to do some thing.

trista I liked it, it was interesting, and it meant a lot to me for some reason.

Taylor I absolutely loved this book. It was really touching. Definitely a favorite.

message 9: by Gerd (new)

Gerd Ah well, is it just me or does the premise make her sound like a awful self absorbed bitch?

I mean sending out tapes to the people you blame your suicide decision on, that's harsh.
*j/k* ...even for a girl. *j/k*

Reagan This book was AWESOME! Really I thought I would hate it but I loved it. Hannah making the tapes really taught a lesson and I loved reading the emotion that came from everyone (Clay mostly) while they were listening to the tapes! Great book.

message 11: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly I hated the book. It pissed me off so bad. Like i guess the video tapes of hannah were ok. But The parts about clay and tony and all the others that were part of the taping were just annoying.

I HATE THIS BOOOOOOK !!!!!

message 12: by christina (new)

christina nelson i personally loved the book can someone give me a reason it should be considered violent other the rape part and the suicide?

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney i started to read it be than i stop cuz it was geting boring but i think i will try again in the summer so i can read EVERYDAY, in school we dont read a lot so i got lost in the book but i will give it a try.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Gerd wrote: "Ah well, is it just me or does the premise make her sound like a awful self absorbed bitch?

I mean sending out tapes to the people you blame your suicide decision on, that's harsh.
*j/k* ...ev..."

Totally agree with you. She lost my sympathy early on by setting herself up. She seemed to plan to be at the wrong place at the wrong time---amazing how it always happened to her and she enjoyed wallowing in it. If people are being mean then why keep going around them?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

J wrote: "Gerd wrote: "Ah well, is it just me or does the premise make her sound like a awful self absorbed bitch?

I mean sending out tapes to the people you blame your suicide decision on, that's harsh...."

There is never a reason to take your own life!!! The way she blamed it on other people was harsh--uncalled for.

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney yes, she was in the very WRONG place at the WRONG time!! its just so amazing, i wood NRVER take my own life for anything! but i will defenitly read it; well atlest try, haha. bye =]

**Carla** I loved the book. I found the writing style so interesting. The thing with the story itself is you need to get past the idea of what it would take for you to end your life. For someone who is depressed (and maybe not even aware of it) or is emotionally unstable, what seems like a stupid reason to you is everything to them.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

I finished it in one day!
talked about it for a week!
thought about it for a month!
I love this book!

l ι l y This book changed my point of view and showed me how a big impact you could have on someones life,just like that.

message 20: by Gina (new) - rated it 1 star

Gina I hated this book. I had to finish reading it because it was a part of book club, but, given the opportunity, I would have gladly burned it.

True if shows how small actions can negatively affect a person, and we should all be aware of that, but she should have just told people that they were being ignorant and hurtful. I don't understand how she expected people to change without telling them how they had hurt her. People, in general, are dense and self-centered, and they aren't gonna notice. Now if she had told people how they had hurt her, then it would have given them the opportunity to change (not only making her life better, but also making the people around her more aware) and even if they didn't change then the blame would be solely on them.

Some of her actions were also pretty jacked. I can't believe that she sat in a closet and watched a girl get raped. She could have at least called the police. And I don't understand why she sent the tapes to Clay anyway. He was the one person who could have helped her and she pushed him away. It's just infuriating.

I hate this book. The storyline had incredible potential, and truthfully I was looking forward to reading this, but Asher destroyed his chance.

l ι l y Becky wrote: "Aliyah wrote: "This book changed my point of view and showed me how a big impact you could have on someones life,just like that."

I hate that when someone makes a sarcastic comment that is rude an..."

That is so true,i've had an experience like that and no matter if it was a joke it still hurt.

Emily I agree with most of these comments. This book showed me how much just a few words could really impact someone.
You know, a lot of times people dont really think about what they say. I'm not saying I consider each word before it comes out of my mouth, but I like to think that I try to word things to make people feel good about themselves. Anyways, I guess this book showed me that I need to try to consider each word I say, because what if that person I'm talking too has had a life where they were always put down, where everything wrong just seemed to go their way? What if the thing I say is what puts them over the edge?

This book just gets you thinking about life, and I really enjoyed it. Soo, if you have never read this book, read it!

message 23: by Emily (last edited Apr 13, 2011 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Becky wrote: "I agree with you %100..."

I know what you mean. Sometimes life just gets you down and you think about things you dont really want to think about. But you have to know that life really does move on, so just forget the hurtful things right after you hear them. There's no point in holding on to things that make you sad.

message 24: by Emily (last edited Apr 13, 2011 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Whoa, I dont know why my thing is all italicized(spelling??). I dont think thats supposed to happen.

Emily Aww, I'm sorry! I'm not thinkin' its hormonal. I mean, come on, we cant blame hormones for all our issues. Maybe you should try talking to your parents about it? I dont know, if it was me talking to my parents about things like that, I would just feel... awkward?
I get what you mean, though. Sometimes its like my parents dont realize that I am my OWN person, and that I like to make my own decisions. Its not my job to have to stay home and help out with things that have nothing to do with me, yanno? I've been through the 'hate my life' stage. It took me a while to get out of it, but once I did I felt so much better. I FEEL so much better. I guess I just realized that I'm only stuck with my parents for a little while longer, so staying home every once in a while and helping out is SO not going to kill me. Life's too short to freak out about little issues like that.
So, I just try to always remember that being depreessed doesnt make my life easier, and its not like moping around cures my problems. So sometimes I just suck it up and do what I need to do. And after a while it doesn't feel like an obligation anymore, if just feels like... Life.
Try to think like that. Maybe it'll help:)

Emily Wow, it seems like your rents are super busy. Especially with the whole pregnancy thing. I get where you're coming from, and the $80 converse thing is not crazy. I really wish I had some custom made ones.
Anyways, maybe once things settle down it'll get better. Like, once the baby is there for a couple months, and then you said you had some church groups in the summer. After a while things will slow down and get better. I'm sure your parents want to spend time with you too, but they're just so focused on the new baby that they tend to shove you off to the side.
Sometimes getting out, staying away for a while, really helps. In the summer I go out to my Aunts house, and I'm there for a couple weeks at a time. Its nice because I dont have to worry about making sure all the chores are done, or whether or not my room is clean. I can just go out there and do whatever I want to do. Then, once I get back, things are a while lot easier. I know my parents miss me when I go, because last time I came back my dad kinda sorta cried... but I still have to get away. It makes like easier to know that you have an escape, even if its just for a little while.
I get where the depression comes from. I really, truly do. I've been through some things kinda like that myself. But I'm trying so hard just to realize that even if my life FEELS sucky, it has to get better sometime, right?
Thats what I tell myself.
And it usually helps.
I know the things I'm saying you've probably heard from your friends a gazillion times. But, whats that old saying? A gazillion-and-one's the charm, right? :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think she sent out the tapes to blame others. I think she felt so isolated and unheard that she wanted to clear her own name and get others to understand their own actions. If the others didn't know what they were to doing to others, their negative actions would just continue without a second thought. She probably just wanted the people around her to understand and stop thinking she was just some run-of-the-mill slut. She was a person and had her own thoughts and emotions. No one wants to die unheard.

Emily I get what you mean. Reality TV shows really make my life feel sucky. And I know, my friends are SUPER skinny too, and they never have any acne, whatsoever. I'm the one who always seems to have the issues in my circle of friends. Its like they're perfect, and I'm not.
The window shopping thing: Yeah, I get it. I really like spending time with my family (which might seem kinda dorky, but whatever). I usually get to spend lots of time with them, actually. My entire family is really 'family' based, yanno? So spending time usually isnt the issue, for me.

Megan Emily321 wrote: "I get what you mean. Reality TV shows really make my life feel sucky. And I know, my friends are SUPER skinny too, and they never have any acne, whatsoever. I'm the one who always seems to have the..."

I feel like that when I'm with my friends too. It sucks. I try not to, but it's hard.

That's cool that you spend time with your family. We don't really spend time together unless a family member comes down or we go see them (because all of our relatives are spread all over the U.S. so we don't see them very often). Other than that, we don't really hang out together. My dad and I went to Barnes and Noble this past weekend, but he went his way and I went my way. We also went to the furniture store and, as he always does, got a bunch of new furniture (including a new 26" TV), a new couch (FINALLY), and a new table and chairs (HURRAY). Yeah, we sort of spent time together. It was kinda fun.

Emily Thats cool that you kind had fun with your family this weekend. Its a start, right? Things can only start to get better.

Stephanie i think that when she sent the tapes she wasnt trying to blame anybody for why she did it i think it was to explain why she did it to the people who the most impact because it can be difficult to talk to someone about feelings like that and takes a lot of courage to say something because most people probably wouldnt really understand and say the comforting words you need to hear at that moment.

Emily Thats awesome!!
Congrats!:)

message 33: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Sydney wrote: "I really liked the book; it gave me a lot to think about. I liked the way the book showed how several small actions can have an overwhelmingly negative affect on someone who is feeling depressed an..."

I loved this book. It was such a good book. I tired to get our Christian School to allow it. It shows the feelings and emotion children hold in to fit in or to just get by!

Emily Oooh, false labor? Man I bet thats painful...
But extra sleep is always good! And writing things is a pluss:)
Sounds like you're pretty happy!!! :):)

Emily Well thats good! I mean, I've never had to go through the whole 'My moms pregnant' thing, but I get where you're coming from. My lil sis is 2 years younger, and my bro is like 11 months other than me, so I dont even remember when my mom was pregnant. Which is good, I dont think I could've handled that.
Fridays off are always good. I'm actually off right now. We've got 'Easter Vacation' so I dont have school Friday OR Monday. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in a pretty good mood too:)

message 36: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby k guys my email is filing up with your stuff so it'd be awesome if you guys emailed or facebooked eachother

ok kewl

anyways, its been a while since i read this, and re read it again and remember this discussion thing i put up

hahaha, im such a dumbass whatever

this book is legit good though
i still get chills and i feel like people don't understand what people go through when contemplating suicide.

when people say: "ThEse R3aSonS AREn't enuf!!11" im just like
um ok who are u to go around saying how far people can go i mean like um ok

k kewl

Megan :( Sorry.

Megan :( Sorry.

Emily Becky wrote: "Ah, lucky you. I sometimes wish I didn't have to deal with this. If I want to go hang with my friends outside, my brother has to come along, and he gets whatever he wants if he starts crying, and..."

Aww, I'm sorry! I would've replied sooner, but I was out with my Aunt and she doesnt have internet access. Anyways, that line you're talking about? Yeah, I've got one too. Except mine is when they force me to cross it I just get really mad and start yelling. I dont think I could ever run away. Where would I go? What would I do? How would I LIVE?? Yeah, I could never do it. Plus I just, I just love my family too much to just bail on then like that, you know? Even if my life sucked soo bad, I care too much about my bro's and sis, and my 'rents, that I just... couldn't. I get where you're coming from, though.
Maternity Vacation; hahaa, thats a new one! I used to be homeschooled, but that was a long time ago. I think it was in 7th grade I started to go to Public school again. We used to get random vacations all the time because my mom would want to go shopping or something, so we would just do all the work the next day. It was awesome!
Sorry you had a bad day:/ That sucks.

Emily Gaby wrote: "k guys my email is filing up with your stuff so it'd be awesome if you guys emailed or facebooked eachother

ok kewl

anyways, its been a while since i read this, and re read it again and remember..."

Wait, what? Hey, if you dont want to get people's comments in your e-mails, click the 'email me when people reply' button OFF instead of complaining when people have conversations.

Emily Wow. I am SO glad my moms not pregnant. I think I would die.
The Idaho thing; Dont they grow potatoes there? Just kidding, though I bet they do. I mean, everyone grows potatoes, right? And it wouldnt be that bad if you went to someones place you know. 'cept the whole calling the parents thing. Yeah, they'd prolly kill you.
Mann, they banned you from READING? That is just wrong. Sometimes thats the only way I can calm down if I'm upset and need to just be away from everyone. I just launch into some story and suddenly I'm not that upset anymore. It works.. sometimes.
Sorry you feel like she's excluding you. Is she still prego? Or has she had the baby yet?

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Gaby wrote: "k guys my email is filing up with your stuff so it'd be awesome if you guys emailed or facebooked eachother

ok kewl

anyways, its been a while since i read this, and re read it again and remember..."

oh puh-leeez! her reasons for killing herself were plain stupid! and the book was insanely boring!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Becky wrote: "Fariha (dream on!) wrote: "Gaby wrote: "k guys my email is filing up with your stuff so it'd be awesome if you guys emailed or facebooked eachother

ok kewl

anyways, its been a while since i read..."

excuse me? did you just called me mental cause i felt the book was boring?
wow nice! reading that book really made you sensitive towards other didnt it?
The book was pathetically boring with dull characters and dull story!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Becky wrote: "Yes, I called you mental to not like this book. You need to learn manners, Fariha. That was mean what you said about being sensitive to others."

oh and it was very sweet of you to call me mental! yea I really appreciate it when people call mental when I state my opinion about something...

Emily Yeah, I bet you are going to die! My mom would be.. whoa, I cant even imagine her being prego. Its too freaky to picture...
Anyways, I KNEW THEY GREW POTATOES!

Haha, I do that all the time! My parents know that I do that, and they dont even care. They buy me booklights and things like that for my birthday, because I always end up burning out the little bulbs. They say its 'educational', so they dont care if I read until laaaaaaaaaaate.

You're in a play? How sweet is that! Whats the play?
The last school play I went to was 'Much Ado About Nothing' and we got to chuck bread at the bad guys (the play was in our courtyard), it was awesome.
Sorry you're parents wont be there:( that sucks. I'm not really into doing things like that at my school. I'm not sporty, and I'm not really into drama and theatre, so I just kinda go to school, then come home/go out with friends.

Not to jump into your other convo but; I LOVED THE BOOK! I didnt think it was boring at all! It really opened my eyes to a lot of stuff, made me think differently. I started thinking more about what I say and how it really effects people. So, yeah, loooooooooooooooved it!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Emily321 wrote: "Yeah, I bet you are going to die! My mom would be.. whoa, I cant even imagine her being prego. Its too freaky to picture...

Haha, I do that all the time! My par..."

Give me one reason on why you think was so great?

Emily I loved how instead of just leaving a note, or something like that, she recorded a message and explained everything. All the other suicide stories you hear all end with 'and they found a note saying...'. But she didnt. She wanted to explain everything, to show everyone WHY she did what she did. And she did it by talking to them (through a recording, yeah, but it was still talking), instead of just having them interpret a note.
I know, its a cheezy reason, but I really loved that.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Emily321 wrote: "I loved how instead of just leaving a note, or something like that, she recorded a message and explained everything. All the other suicide stories you hear all end with 'and they found a note sayin..."

And the fact that she killed herself over nothing doesn't matter? Or the fact that after she killed herself her parents would die slowly?
But I guess all that doesn't matter when you record a bunch of tapes and send it around right?

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Becky wrote: "Emily321 wrote: "Yeah, I bet you are going to die! My mom would be.. whoa, I cant even imagine her being prego. Its too freaky to picture...

Haha, I do that all..."

haha no problem.. i was just messing around with you. I love my life and i am not gona go kill myself just cause a random person called me mental :P
I find that book bad because theres never a reason to kill yourself(yes am saying that from personal experiences) and I really dont have patience for people who kill themselves..

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) Becky wrote: "Okay...the book was still good though. I couldn't put it down, and I couldn't stop thinking about it and wondering what was going to happen, and what Clay "did" to be on her tapes.
Some people don..."

she didn't ..she had no reason to kill herself.. just cause you get bullied doesn't mean you go and kill yourself. The people who bullied you will still be living, sure they will feel guilty over what they did, but they will be alive and they will get over it. It wont affect anyone but you and your family.

« previous 1