European Royalty discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (new)

Sera The royal family that ruled Russia until the assignation of Nicholas II and his entire famiy after the Russian Revolution.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Sera,

Have you read a book about Catherine the Great (is she a Romanov - I know very little about Russian history)? I added that Peter the Great book that you liked to my to-read list. I'd like to read something about Catherine the Great, so I figured I would ask you if you had a favorite.

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Ooohh, Sera, did you know there was a Russian Readers Club on goodreads? I just happened to see it while I was looking up a book and thought of you since you really like the Romanovs.

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera Oh, very cool! I'll have to check it out. Thank you so much for the info.

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie | 1 comments Hi: I am new. I have read more about Russian royalty after 1800, but I do know Evelyn Anthony wrote a fiction trilogy about Catherine, Paul, and Alexander I. I haven't read the one about Catherine, but I do have the Paul book in my HUGE To be read pile!

Marie

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Welcome to the group, and thank you for the information. I'll have to add Anthony's books to my "to read" list. I have a Catherine the Great biography that I am dying to read, but like you, it keeps getting bumped for other books. We'll just keep adding them to the pile.

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hi Marie, and welcome! Thanks for the information about the Anthony book. I have a gigantic to read pile as well. I go through phases - usually it's about British royalty, but I've started to branch out into the Romanovs lately. I don't know when I'm going to find the time to read everything that I want to! Have either of you read any good books about Rasputin? He seems like a creepy and fascinating character.

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera I have The Rasputin Files, which I'm about halfway through. I don't like the way in which it's structured, which makes it a difficult read. If you read about The Romanovs generally, Sara, you will find some great insight into Rasputin. He was exactly as you described him - creepy and fascinating. Wait until you see how he finally ended up dying. The events that led up to his death really freak me out.