Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > Q&A with January 2013 Authors!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas season. My eldest was home from Calgary and my folks got down for a longer visit than usual. We also had some snow, so it was a lovely Christmas in my corner of Nova Scotia.

But now it's a whole New Year and time to ring it in with our first Q&A! Our January authors are Mary Moore, Linda Ford, as well as Cheryl St.John and Debra Ullrick, who have an anthology out this month. Last but not least we have new author Clari Dees making her LIH debut!

Drop in tomorrow to chat with Mary Moore, author of the critically acclaimed The Aristocrat's Lady about her new inspirational Regency Beauty in Disguise!

message 2: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments thanks Deb, looking forward to meeting the authors this month, I know three so there are couple new ones for me, see ya tomorrow

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Cool to see a new author I think i have seen Clari on seekerville

message 4: by Deborah (last edited Jan 08, 2013 03:12AM) (new)

To launch our first monthly Q&A for 2013 is Regency inspirational author Mary Moore.
Her debut novel, The Aristocrat's Lady received a glowing four-and-a-half star review from Romantic Times and won a number of prestigious awards, including The Holt Medallion and RT Reviewer's Choice Award. Mary's eagerly awaited second novel is Beauty in Disguise, which I'm sure will be just as well-received.
Beauty in Disguise by Mary Moore
Mary, would you like to tell our members about the strange connection you discovered between your story and my June book The Baron's Governess Bride? Clearly our creative antennae are tuned along very similar lines! :)

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Ok so I won back in Nov so please don't enter me to win any of this month's books. I want someone who hasn't won to have a better chance

Hey Mary! I really enjoyed The Aristocrat's Lady and I love regency stories so I am really looking forward to Beauty in Disguise. I just read The Baron's Governess Bride Deborah so I am really excited to find out about the connection between your book and Mary's. Although I think I have an idea.

Mary what are you currently working on?

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Good morning All!

Hi Deb, thanks for the kind words and for giving me a chance to talk to readers about Beauty in Disguise.

Laura,
If you loved Deb's book, I'm in big trouble!!!! :)

Believe it or not, after Beauty in Disguise was signed with LIH, I got a call from my editor telling me that they realized there was a book, already farther through the process than mine that had the same premise! (I didn't even know that ever really happened!) I didn't know what they would do...I thought maybe move back the date of mine, or ask me for a whole new story.

But they said no, they really did like the premise, but they wanted me to "tweak" mine. Hmmmmm, I will be prepared for the word "tweak" from now on! ;0) At first glance we thought we could change it with mostly cosmetic things, where it was staged, her relationship with other characters, etc. But one by one cosmetics became chunks of storyline and no doubt my editor pulled out as much of her hair as I did mine! I could go into more detail but I don't want everyone snoozing already...suffice it to say, I just had to give it to God and say, "You take this one!" Which fortunately He did...I'm sure He wanted it that way before I ever even wrote it.

But the funny part is that one day I was sitting in a hospital waiting room and I pulled out my kindle to kill time. I pulled up the first Regency I came to (which happened to be The Baron's Governess Bride) and I knew right away why they wanted to "tweak" mine. This was the other book! I looked around the waiting room wanting to tell someone, fortunately realizing how crazy that was before I did it.

Needless to say, I couldn't put it down and when I got back to my computer I emailed Deb and told her what had gone on. She wasn't aware how many times I had balled my fist at that other author during rewrites! (Just kidding, of course!) We had a great laugh and Deb told me it had happened to her twice before!

Deb, would you like to take it from here?

message 7: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I love the cover of this book!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments That was another awesome inspiration from Deb! It came out just like I hoped it would, but when Deb saw it she emailed me and said, "This reminds me of Byron's poem, She Wallks Like Beauty in the Night." How perfect for this Regency. I called my editor and we had part of that poem inserted on the page before Chapter 1!

The only thing I became a little bit concerned about was that there was nothing inherently Regency about it. For the women, that has been no problem, but I tell you the honest truth that when 99% of the men I know that have seen the cover, their first response has been, "Cool, is it about werewolves?" I kid you not. After the 10th one, my husband said, "Don't worry about it, maybe that'll bring in some new readers!" Men! :0)

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments LOL!! I can't stop laughing about that question Mary. Is it about werewolves? Men can be clueless sometimes but I agree with your husband, maybe it will bring in new readers. I take it that these men don't notice that the book is published by Love Insprired Historical. I don't know if a werewolf story would fit any of the Love Inspired lines. I now really have to go get a copy of your book.

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments I love you husbands comment.

love the cover it looks full of suspense to me. when you said there is nothing adherently regency does that mean its a book with out the balls etc and more a historical. (hope that makes sense the reason i dont like regencies as much is all the pompous ceremony and the way the aristocrats carry on) books set in the era not dwelling on this i like much more.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Werewolves?! That never would have crossed my mind. I love this cover! It's unusual, being set in the night, but so lovely.

When I first heard Mary's title, I guessed it probably had a similar story element to mine, but I I've read stories with nearly identical situations that ended up being different and unique because of the characters and author's voices. I was sorry to hear Mary had to revise hers so heavily. I've had to "tweak" stories before and found that even seemingly small changes can be like pulling a thread from a tapestry.

message 12: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Hello Mary Moore, I am late today but did finally get here, This indeed looks like is is a good story and can see why they did not say "Cancel" when another was similar. Have there been many books that are too similar and stopped before getting to be read by the public? I read a lot and sometimes a story will sound close but not too close to something I have read before.
thanks for sharing today.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I love you husbands comment.

love the cover it looks full of suspense to me. when you said there is nothing adherently regency does that mean its a book with out the balls etc and more a historica..."

I'm sorry, Jenny, I didn't mean the story wasn't Regency, I meant the cover! I know you're not a big fan of Regencies, but that's fine! I'm not a fan of werewolf stories! :p

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Paula-O wrote: "Hello Mary Moore, I am late today but did finally get here, This indeed looks like is is a good story and can see why they did not say "Cancel" when another was similar. Have there been many book..."

Paula, better late than never! I appreciate it that you took the time to try and get here. I mentioned above that I'm too new to have had that experience, that books are too similar, but after Deb and I talked, she said it had happened to her twice before! But they were different publishers (I think) so there was no way to know there would be similar premises. But I also agree with Deb, voices and creativity are so different between us all, that the same premise results in totally different stories...especially when God is leading us!

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 110 comments Looks like I'm the last one to arrive, but it's still Tuesday where I live for 30 more minutes!

Thank you for taking the time to visit with us, Mary. I am a huge Regency fan and am so glad to find them in the LIH line.

One thing I especially enjoy about this monthly authors' thread is seeing some of what goes on behind the scenes with authors & publishers. It's not an easy road and can often be frustrating, I'm sure. Just makes me appreciate these books all the more!

I have one question...I read on your Amazon page that you had put your writing career on hold while battling breast cancer. You must be doing better now, I certainly pray that is the case, Mary. Do you incorporate any of your personal experiences like that in you writing?

message 16: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Mary not mad on warewolves either.

message 17: by Deborah (last edited Jan 09, 2013 03:34AM) (new)

I'm delighted to welcome today's guest, long-time reader favorite Linda Ford! The Cowboy's Surprise Bride is part of Linda's Cowboys of Eden Valley series and takes place in Canada's Northwest Territories. So glad to have you with us, Linda!
The Cowboy's Surprise Bride by Linda Ford
Linda, you've written more than 25 inspirational romances for LIH and Heartsong Presents. After so many books, do you have any special techniques for keeping each new story fresh or does that come naturally? Also, can you tell us a little about the Cowboys of Eden Valley series -- how are they connected and when will the future books be released?

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Wow looks like Deborah beat me to some of my usual questions. LOL so I will ask you the same question I asked Mary. What are you currently working on?

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Deb, I had a chuckle at 'does it come naturally?' After more than 35 books, I have to work really hard to find fresh ideas and I'm not sure I really succeed. I trust my editor to push me if I fall into old stories. I guess one thing that works is filling in lots of charts and questionnaires. I also use Michale Hague's wound, identity and essence. As well, I have the notes from your own Hero's Journey workshop that I use.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments About the Eden Valley series. There are 6 books contracted in the series, plus the Christmas novella that was out earlier this year--MERRY CHRISTMAS,COWBOY. They are scheduled for release Jan, Mar. and May of this year. I don't have release dates for the next 3 yet. Each of these stories occurs at the Eden Valley Ranch or in some way nearby. The characters are cowboys of the ranch, or as in second 3 of the series, 3 young women who visit the ranch. The ranch remains central to the story and develops into a strong community.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Laura, I am currently working on the last of the 6 stories. My heroine's name is Mercy and she is quite the character. She plans to learn to ride, rope and shoot well enough to join a Wild West Show. Of course the hero, father of 9 year old twins, lives by rules and a wild, crazy woman like Mercy is the last thing he needs in his life. Or is it? lol

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments I suppose I should say a little something about my Jan. release--THE COWBOY'S SURPRISE BRIDE. I had a lot of fun writing this story. I took a greenhorn woman right from England and threw her into a frontier ranch setting. She had to learn lots of things in a hurry but not without making her share of mistakes. In one case she failed several times at making bread and tried to bury the evidence. I had a similar experience when yeast went from rapid to instant. The dough was awful and I tried to bury it. The dog found it and dug it up. He dragged it around for weeks. lol Anyway Linette thought she had been invited to come west and have a marriage of convenience. Once she arrived and discovered it was all a mistake she must make other arrangements.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Carole wrote: "Looks like I'm the last one to arrive, but it's still Tuesday where I live for 30 more minutes!

Thank you for taking the time to visit with us, Mary. I am a huge Regency fan and am so glad to fin..."

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Mary wrote: "Carole wrote: "Looks like I'm the last one to arrive, but it's still Tuesday where I live for 30 more minutes!

Thank you for taking the time to visit with us, Mary. I am a huge Regency fan and am..."

Hi Carol,

No worries, we're just glad you got here! Yes, I am doing well, I am 7 years cancer free! Five years is the usual "yay" moment in breast cancer, but with the type I had, seven was the lucky number. I am very blessed. Thank you for asking!

In my first book, my heroine had a disability that she didn't want others to know about. It had nothing to do with cancer, but I was able to use my experience with doctors by having her struggle with being shuffled from one to another always getting different answers or no answer at all. And she was very concerned about people looking at her differently or treating her differently, that's why she didn't want it known. I lost my hair due to the chemo and I remember when wearing scarves, or even my wig, I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb! Probably way more than I did, but I felt it just the same. So yes, I particularly used that experience in my first book.

Thanks for asking Carol, and thanks again for visiting!

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Mary not mad on warewolves either."

Me either, Jenny, me either!

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Linda wrote: "I suppose I should say a little something about my Jan. release--THE COWBOY'S SURPRISE BRIDE. I had a lot of fun writing this story. I took a greenhorn woman right from England and threw her into a..."

LOL! What a great story! And that it's true is a riot!

message 27: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Linda, I've been looking forward to your book coming out for awhile not! I'm so glad it's about time! I read every one of them. You are such a good writer and your books never fail to interest me. This looks like another great storyline. Looking forward to it! I like the twist of an English woman this time!

message 28: by Deborah (new)

I love 'fish out of water' stories, Linda! My one and only western was that kind of plot. Isn't it great we're in a business where we can use our mistakes and disasters as grist for the mill?

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with keeping stories fresh. I'll have to check out Michale Hague. I love finding a new tool that can help.

message 29: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Hi linda love you books set in Canada as it tells more about the country as it is different from america. Look forward to checking this book out. im so tired no questions.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Valri,
Thank you for your encouragment. I'm never sure how well my stories work. They are never as good as what I had in mind. The funny thing about my English woman/fish out of water story is at the same time as I was working on it, I was asked to do a continuity story (THE BABY COMPROMISE due out in June 2013) and it was a fish out of water story too. Proved to be a bit of a challenge to do two of them.

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Deb,
Have you never been to a Michael Hague workshop? I would suggest his DVDs. I've listened to them a number of times. Great stuff for developing story.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Ausjenny,
I hope you catch some of the subtleties of the difference between Canadian and American settlement history.

message 33: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Linda i think being Aussie i notice them more.

message 34: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Hi Linda, this Cowboy Surprise Bride story sounds really good -I like the ones when they are so different yet they find some comon grounds to relate to one another..
No questions today I just love to read your books and wanted to say Hi-welcome always good to read comments of the others and they do have some pretty good questions at times..I would say good luck with the book but you wont need it, all your stories are good reads.

message 35: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Linda, did your heroine have any knowledge of ranches at all or is she a city person through and through?

message 36: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 110 comments Linda, thank you so much for joining us today! Sometimes a sweet, inspirational romance is exactly what I need, and I enjoy your historicals. Your sense of humor always shines through.

I'd love to know more about your family of 14 children. Life may have been difficult at times, but you must have lots of love and special memories to go around. Are they all grown now?

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Paula,
Thanks for visiting. And Hi.

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Valri,
She's city through and through. It makes for some fun times.

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Carole,
My kids are all grown up. Most of us get together several times a year for 'special' occassions. There are now little ones (grandchilren) so that's special. Yes, there were some very difficult times but I suppose it's a little like childbirth. You tend to forget the bad times.

message 40: by Sigrun (last edited Jan 09, 2013 03:20PM) (new)

Sigrun (ranugis) | 4 comments I don't know if anyone else has noted the mistake--or was it that the mistake led to Byron's poem. The actual title and first line is: "She walks in beauty like the night".

The in and like trade places. I had to check, so here's the poem: http://www.bartleby.com/106/173.html. The problem is that I don't know how to make it an active link. My hope was right: the link became active when I saved the comment. A good thing to know. I'm still a newbie at this.

message 41: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I remember you had all those children, Linda! Still amazes me! My dad is one of 10 children so I know big families! I applaud you for having a fantastic writing career while having all that in your life! Once again, I love your books!

message 42: by Deborah (new)

I'm especially excited to welcome today's featured author. Clari Dees is making her debut this month, which is always exciting! Congratulations, Clari and welcome to the LIH Goodreads group!
The Marshal Meets His Match by Clari Dees
Can you tell us a little bit about how you came up with the idea for The Marshal Meets His Match and your path to publication?

message 43: by J. (new)

J. (sissteele) I am excited about this book. It is my next historical LI to read. So excited for you Clari!

message 44: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 110 comments Congratulations on your publishing debut, Clari! We all wish you the best with your writing. I read an exerpt from your book and the conflict between Meri and the marshall caught my attention. Like Deborah asked, I'd like to know a little about your publication experience. Thank you for joining us, Clari.

message 45: by Clari (last edited Jan 10, 2013 08:15AM) (new)

Clari Dees | 7 comments Thank you, Deborah, for inviting me to be a guest today. I'm excited to be here. :-)
Good morning, all.

The idea for The Marshal Meets His Match came literally from a dream. I had been praying that God would give me a story idea. One morning, an interesting dream woke me up and I knew I had to find out the rest of these two characters' story. It was like God whispered in my heart, "Here's your story."
It's awesome to me that God gives us the desires of our heart. I wanted to write - He gave me a story. And that started my path to publication.

When I finished the story, I entered a little writing contest sponsored by the wonderful ladies over at Seekerville, (seekerville.blogspot.com) and eventually my manuscript landed on an editor's desk at Love Inspired and they bought the story.

So my dream to write books became a reality. And I'm still grinning with how God works things out.

Clari

message 46: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Mary, Linda, and Clara,
So happy to read about your LIH's. Each one sounds lovely. And I must look up mary's cover!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Thank you for sharing how your story got published Clari. I really like the sound of your story and will have to keep my eye out. What are you currently working on?

message 48: by Clari (new)

Clari Dees | 7 comments Lyn wrote: "Mary, Linda, and Clara,
So happy to read about your LIH's. Each one sounds lovely. And I must look up mary's cover!"

Thanks, Lyn.
And I love Mary's cover. So mysterious. :-)

message 49: by Clari (last edited Jan 10, 2013 11:12AM) (new)

Clari Dees | 7 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "Thank you for sharing how your story got published Clari. I really like the sound of your story and will have to keep my eye out. What are you currently working on?"

Laura,
While I'm waiting to hear whether my second story is picked up by my publisher, I'm digging into my next manuscript - A stagecoach driver who strongly dislikes doctors has to deal with the new doctor in town who also happens to be a woman. Poor fellow. :-)

Clari

message 50: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments welcome Clari, in city short on time but wanted to say congrats on your debut book.

« previous 1