The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Greetings from Prairie Village, Kansas!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Hi everyone! I'm Karen, a freelance editor/writer, who is new to GR & this group. If you're not familiar with my town, you may think I live in a cabin out on the desolate prairie, reminiscent of the Little House series. I don't. Prairie Village is actually a bustling little contemporary suburb of Kansas City, Mo.

I joined this group because the topics look relevant and because I feel like I live my life hoping to "get to" the books I voraciously purchase! From my earliest memories, I've always had a book in my hand, but sometimes life takes over and I find myself reading only magazines because I can get through them quicker! Perhaps the challenges offered here will spur me to action.

I'm game for anything, though I love historical fiction & non-fiction and biographies. I'm in a bookclub with about 12 other women, so I just finished our book for this month, The Book Thief. It's a fantastic, unconventional work--almost lyrical. I highly recommend it!

Anyway, thanks for having me and I look forward to reading more and making some friends along the way!

message 2: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Karen,

Welcome to the group. You will find that your TBR list will grow being in this group. LOL

Elizabeth (Alaska) Hi Karen, welcome! Sounds like all the reasons I joined this group. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

message 4: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments Welcome to TNBBC, Karen!

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) welcome to the group, I live in Wichita-so we're pretty close!

message 6: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I live in the capitol city of KS, so we're all pretty close together.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Welcome Karen!

I am the Messenger by Zusak is also a terrific read.

(couldn't resist - they don't call me BookPusher for nothin'!)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi Karen, thanks for joining. My mother lives out in Atlanta Kansas.... Looks like a whole lot of nuthin out by her... cows and horses and field after fields...

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Thanks, everyone! Glad there are a few Kansans in the group! Lori, I've never heard of Atlanta, and having gone to K-State, I thought I'd heard of every little speck-of-a-town in the state!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Ive never been out there so I dont know what its next to. I know she said she has a 45 minute drive to Wichitah (sp?) which is the closest big town.city to her.

message 11: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Karen, welcome to the group.

We were near Kansas City Mo. two summers ago visiting my brother and his family. Great place, and so different from the big city life I am used to.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Karen!

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Hello and Welcome!

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Thanks so much for the nice welcome! Hayes, where near KCMO does your brother live? What big city are you in?

message 15: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Welcome to the group!! The challenges will definately help.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 49 comments Hi Karen, welcome! I am a K-State alumni too!

message 17: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Karen wrote: "Thanks so much for the nice welcome! Hayes, where near KCMO does your brother live? What big city are you in?"

Sorry I took so long!! Hven't been checking in... Near Lenexa. I'm orig. from NYC but now live in Rome, Italy (which, as everyone here knows by now, I'm not loving as much as I did when I first moved here 23 years ago!!)

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Hayes wrote: "Karen wrote: "Thanks so much for the nice welcome! Hayes, where near KCMO does your brother live? What big city are you in?"

Sorry I took so long!! Hven't been checking in... Near Lenexa. I'm ..."

Wow! Rome sounds so incredibly romantic--I can't imagine not loving it, but things often sound better than the reality. Also, NYC is a hard act to follow! My neighbor's daughter married an Italian and lives near Tuscany. I think she's enjoying it. It sounds like a simpler life--not as many "things" as Americans have.

message 19: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Tuscany is certainly more beautiful than Rome!! I envy her. My mother-in-law is orig. from Umbria (the region between Rome/Lazio and Tuscany, more or less) and every time we go up to visit I am tempted to say, "You all go on home... I'll stay here!"

message 20: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments My boyfriend lives two kms from the tuscan border in the gorgeous region emilia-romagna

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Jeane wrote: "My boyfriend lives two kms from the tuscan border in the gorgeous region emilia-romagna"

Now I'm getting really jealous! :) First Hayes and now Jeane--your boyfriend's home sounds wonderful! Then I checked out your profile, and you live in Dublin! Italy, Ireland & Scotland are on the top of my "to visit" list. Until I get there, I'll have to live vicariously by reading about them. I'm currently reading Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland (a bit dry so far, but I hear it picks up).

message 22: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I haven't read anything of Malachy McCourt's, just Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes. Does he write as well as his brother does? I rather got the impression that he was cashing in on his brother's popularity.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Hayes wrote: "I haven't read anything of Malachy McCourt's, just Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes. Does he write as well as his brother does? I rather got the impression that he was cashing in on his brother's pop..."

This is the first book I've read by him and I'm not far enough to tell. I agree with your impression--that was my original thinking, as well. An acquaintance told me he is very funny compared to Frank and has his own, likable style. I decided to give him a try, but apparently I chose his drier work!