The Wire discussion

Let the Voting Begin!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edan (new)

Edan | 39 comments Here are the nominees for our first book club. Apologies if I missed any of the other books mentioned; I also only picked those by Wire writers, for this first round:

1. Clockers by Richard Price
2. Homicide by David Simon
3. Right as Rain by George Pelecanos
4. King Suckerman by George Pelecanos
5. Shoedog by George Pelecanos

Please comment on this thread, with your pick. Thanks!

message 2: by Kimley (new)

Kimley Well, I don't really know much about these writers/books so I read all the descriptions here on goodreads (which I gather are from Amazon) and I have to say they all sound somewhat generic so I'm guessing the descriptions aren't very accurate...

The one that did sound fun was King Suckerman so that's my vote.

message 3: by Kimley (new)

Kimley Brian, where have you been? You asked us out on a first date and abandoned us before cocktails were over.

I fear Tolstoy has stolen your heart. Will you ever read a cheap paperback crime novel again???

message 4: by Patrick (last edited Jan 06, 2008 06:16PM) (new)

Patrick Brown | 10 comments I originally nominated Clockers, but since I read that other Price book, I'm looking to expand a bit. I vote for King Suckerman as well.

And what happened to Dennis Lehane? He's probably who I would've voted for.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason | 18 comments After endless obsessive watching/reading/scanning info on politics elsewhere, I'm loath to cast a vote here. I'm good with any/all.

message 6: by brian (new)

brian   my vote is for Right as Rain.

sorry, kimley, for ditching. only two people wrote in with requests for bookclub books and as i was days away from leaving on my 2 week holiday thing, i kinda dropped it. edan's better suited to run this kinda thing -- i happily hand over the reins to her. i'm a mean nasty selfish guy who will only devote time to my personal shit -- edan's a sweet and altruistic gal who will be equally as industrious with other people's shit as her own. you're in good hands. yup.

as far as tolstoy... yeah, i'm almost there. i've almost read everything he's written. but, i must say... he hasn't stolen my heart. he's endlessly fascinating and i do love much of it, but not in the all-consuming way i love dostoyevsky or borges or genet, y'know?

message 7: by Edan (new)

Edan | 39 comments Patrick, I'm sorry I didn't nominate a Lehane book; I didn't see it on the thread I re-read for picks. If you want to nominate something, I can add it to the list.

Since, Marshall's already read King Suckerman, and Kimley and Mike don't seem to care much which one is picked, I'll nominate Right as Rain, too.

What about out other members?

message 9: by Cory (new)

Cory | 12 comments Right As Rain sounds good to me, too, yo.

message 10: by Edan (new)

Edan | 39 comments Well, Marshall, "yo" en espanol is also gender neutral, until the speaker declares their gender: "Yo soy una mujer" o "Yo soy un hombre"--or has the world shifted enough that the use of "estar" is accepted in such cases: "Yo estoy una mujer, pero manana yo estare un hombre"? (imagine the accent marks, por favor) I kind of like that. Hey, they use "estar" for being dead!

Is everyone okay with reading Right as Rain? Please chime in if you can't handle that choice, otherwise, that's the pick!

message 11: by Kimley (new)

Kimley Interesting article Edan! I love this kind of stuff. In Italian, they typically don't even bother with the pronoun at all. The verb conjugation will indicate the pronoun but not the gender.

But the rest of Italian is very gender specific. ALL words (except foreign imports) end in either A (feminine), O (masculine), E (feminine plural) or I (masculine plural) - it's why the language works so well for opera! And poetry.

I don't speak Spanish but I can usually get a good gist of what something means but I'm curious what's the difference between "soy" and "estar". I presume they are both some form of "to be".

Just requested Right as Rain from the library.

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) I vote for the Richard Price book, mainly because I just bought it.

message 13: by Edan (new)

Edan | 39 comments Jeff, thanks for your vote, but I think Right as Rain already has enough support to win.

So, everyone: let's begin discussion of Right as Rain on February 15th. Sound good? That gives you a month or so to finish whatever you're reading, maybe even read another book, before getting Right as Rain and starting to read it. We can discuss as we go.

message 14: by Cory (new)

Cory | 12 comments Hey all,

Here's an interesting thread from Slate, including a response from David Simon himself (see post #7).

Seems the Sun storyline doesn't have the authentic feel to reporters as the other seasons do to cops, drug dealers, teachers, politicos, etc.

As Clay Davis would say, sheeeeeee-it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2181449/entry...

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (kgerow) | 4 comments What about The Corner by David Simon? Great book, great miniseries. Nice transition from Homicide to the Wire.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessica_swan) king suckerman!

message 17: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye Hi, I'm new here- I was drawn in with the hope that I would find others to share my mourning of the Wire's end. It seems I found a good place for that. Anyhow, I want to play book club! I haven't read any of the books nominated except "Homicide," so I'll be cool with whaddevah.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Shouldn't we read 'Prometheus Bound' so that we can understand what poor Clay Davis has been going through?

message 19: by Edan (new)

Edan | 39 comments The list of books were for our first book club. We chose Right as Rain...but it didn't go very well. I'm not sure this Wire book club thing will continue. What does everyone think?

message 20: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye Ahhh, I was kind of wondering. I saw some discussion of "Right as Rain," but I didn't realize that was the book. Well, if you all want to try again, I'm willing to give it a go. I'll need something to do on Sunday nights now...