The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Who do you think Liesel married?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 407) (407 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mary I believe it was Max. He was always there for her and despite the very daunting age difference, it feels right to me that they would still be together, reminiscing about the old days. Of course it's not relevant but I would like to think that in the end there was some happiness for those two.

Cally I wanted it to be Max, but in the end I think it was just some random that Death doesn't know.

The Mighty Katara I think it was a random guy as well.

Kirby I agree that it was an unknown character. I think that, since max was also a large part of death's story, he would have mentioned if it was max.

I do, however, like to think that they stayed a part of each other's lives.

Erin O'Riordan Yep - random guy, not Max.

Mary thank you very much! that does seem right-Death most likely would have mentioned it

Rabab Gatnash I wish it had been Rudy, but I agree that Max would have been mentioned by death

Kirby Rabab wrote: "I wish it had been Rudy, but I agree that Max would have been mentioned by death"

I do, too! or at least wish that she had given him a kiss. :(

Kirby maybe max was "uncle max" to liesel's kids. :)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary maybe. yeah it would have been hilarious to hear what rudy had to say after liesel finally kissed him

Ntntt I still want to believe that it's Max. It's obvious that he likes Liesel. Poor Rudy though. 3

message 12: by Akankshita (last edited Jan 07, 2013 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Akankshita Dash I hope its max. the book would have *one* happy ending at last.

Hud-c I believe its a random guy. And its definitely not Max.

Amber Never thought of the possibility that it could be max. Maybe it just didn't strike me at first because of the age difference. Anyway, when reading the book, and till this day, I think she married Rudy's older brother, Alex. I think this because Death said that after the war was over and after Rudy's death, they spent all of their time together. They got to know each other, and they comforted each other. Alex, even though there weren't any customers, really, ran his father's store and Liesel helped him with it everyday....etc...

Cally Amber wrote: "Never thought of the possibility that it could be max. Maybe it just didn't strike me at first because of the age difference. Anyway, when reading the book, and till this day, I think she married R..."

Alex was Rudy's father. He was sent away before the bombings to do military service because he wouldn't send Rudy away to a certain school.

LindaJ^ I thought it was Max.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Cally wrote: "Amber wrote: "Never thought of the possibility that it could be max. Maybe it just didn't strike me at first because of the age difference. Anyway, when reading the book, and till this day, I think..."

Yep

message 18: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Linda wrote: "I thought it was Max."

yeah i still think that too.

Rosalind I really really wished that it was Max, so much that I can practically believe it. But I have to say that it probably isn't. But there still is that possibility... Death didn't explicitly say that it wasn't Max.

Susan When I read the book it never occurred to me that she would marry Max, and was rather surprised when others said they thought so. I saw Max as an older brother figure to her -- and he was significantly older than her. He was the son of a friend of Hans's, and Hans was old enough to be Liesel's grandfather.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 13, 2013 07:41PM) (new)

I think it was never explicitly stated who she married was because Zusak knew that whomever he chose (whether it be Max, Rudy's brother, or another person altogether) it would upset someone, but by leaving it blank people could fill in who they think it was and everyone can be happy. I hope the movie doesn't change this, because I like the ambiguity, it keeps things...civil. (I know with other books, and stories in general no matter the format, people really seem to get angry if the main character doesn't end up with who they want them to and the the different sides of the fandom start warring against each other. Considering that hasn't happened so far I don't think it would in the future, the people who read this seem to be more mature than that-but I'd rather not find out.) (Also I think it was Max.)

Cat I would really wish it to be Max but I just know it isnt. I think since he was such a big part of the story death would have mentioned it plus theres like a huge age difference. I think it was just some random guy.( By the way Alex was Rudys father).

message 23: by Suha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suha No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar me please :D

Susan Suha wrote: "No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar me please :D"
My feelings exactly!

Mrs. Sottiriou I wish it were Rudy :(

Marianne I would like to point out that Death saw much of what was happening in Liesel's life because during the war he was so busy taking people all around her. After the war, he was no longer a part of her life, so he would not necessarily know if it was Max she married, or anyone else. I personally think it could easily have been Max, as once Liesel is an adult, age difference means little over their shared history.

Amber Purella wrote: "I think it was never explicitly stated who she married was because Zusak knew that whomever he chose (whether it be Max, Rudy's brother, or another person altogether) it would upset someone, but by..."

They're making a movie after the book? I'm glad that the non-readers of the world will get to experience this story too because it was so very wonderful; however, I'm not looking forward to this fact, for the most part. The movie will most likely butcher the beauty of Zusak's story. =( God damn you, Hollywood!! =(

message 28: by Megan (last edited Jan 21, 2013 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan I always thought she married Max... But I may be wrong. I don't know, it just seemed to me that he was the only one who was capable of understanding her, and she him.

message 29: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara As much as I'd hoped it would be Max, I don't think it was. Can't remember much about this Alex kid but the way Zusak, or Death, described it, I think it was someone who wasn't in the book. I'm sure if she married any of the characters in the book that Death would have mentioned it.

message 30: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara I want her to marry Max, but she probably didn't. I'm agree with Tara that no one from the book would be married to her, just because Death would comment on it. It was probably someone random who she met later in life.

message 31: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann While I did like the idea at first of her marrying Max, the more I thought about it, the more I thought their relationship was more sibling-like. Personally I think she married someone else, who had nothing to do with any of the events in the book. She needed a fresh start and a chance to move on from everything that happened. I hope her and Max stayed in touch... but who knows...

message 32: by ϟEvelynϟ (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ϟEvelynϟ I at one point thought it was Max, but then I cancelled out the thought and thought, "Nah, it couldn't have been." I'm still a little hesitant about this. Perhaps it could have been Max, but I do agree that Death would have mentioned him. Part of me thinks it was Max because I subconsciously think it would have been a little cute, and part of me thinks it was some random guy she met afterwards. Who knows! More of me wanted her to get with Max

message 33: by Victoria (new)

Victoria For me there is no doubt; of course she married Max! When he finds her at Steiner's shop they fall to the ground in an embrace, reunited. They are all that are left of any former ties, and the are bound together by this experience. It only makes sense to me. Even in normal circumstances the age difference isn't too great once Liesel is old enough to marry -- which was often a lot younger at that time than now -- and the experiences which bound them together were extraordinary.

message 34: by Suha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suha Susan wrote: "Suha wrote: "No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar me please :D"
My feelings ..."

Good to know I'm not alone here :)

Susan Suha wrote: "Susan wrote: "Suha wrote: "No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar me please :D..."
You're not alone. I find the idea appalling. Two people can't hug and be happy to see each other without having a romantic connection? I that case, why didn't Leisel marry Rudy's father? Some people have been reading too many romance novels.

message 36: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Sarah wrote: "It is okay for people to have an opinion, it should not affect the way you interpret a book...that is surely what reading and digesting stories is all about. A debate about a story should not ruin ..."

thank you! i wasnt trying to creep anyone out- i was just curious as to what others thought.

Leanne i really liked that zukas didn't mention who she married. max isn't too big of an age difference. could be only 9 years or so isn't it. not too bad!

message 38: by Suha (last edited Jan 30, 2013 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suha Susan wrote: "Suha wrote: "Susan wrote: "Suha wrote: "No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar..."

I couldn't agree more. I hate how romance seems to be the dominating genre in people's expectations of books. This book was especially written to convey how war affects people and what results to become their source of peace and tranquility. I admit, however, that I was actually impatient to find out whether Liesel does actually kiss Rudy or not, but other than that, implications of other matches or 'ships' is absurd and totally incompatible with the story's context.

Danny In my opinion, it's kind of creepy if she married Max cause that almost makes him a pedofile.

Farah Hamandi I think no Max to Liesel is like brother-sister relationship i don't think that it will transform to love though i hope that and i can't forget Rudi T-T his love for her was brilliant and pure :(

Rutul Kshirsagar I genuinely HOPE its not Max she married. It would really defile the purity of their relationship.

What amazes me more is how did she end up in Sydney at the first place?!

Katie Rutul wrote: "I genuinely HOPE its not Max she married. It would really defile the purity of their relationship."

exactly!
I think Max saw Liesel as a pure, innocent figure and this helped cleanse him and give him hope in the world. He was more grateful to her than anything, it was hardly romantic.

Kirby Rutul wrote: "I genuinely HOPE its not Max she married. It would really defile the purity of their relationship.

What amazes me more is how did she end up in Sydney at the first place?!"

my understanding is that a lot of German immigrants went to Australia after the war, including- if I'm not mistaken- Zusack's parents.

Leeann I honestly hope its Max from the minute he came into the story i wanted them together, The moment he came in that door i thought they would be perfect together

Cee Marie First off, I completely disagree with Max, their relationship in my opinion is purely friendship brought together by hard times, and I would prefer not to think about anything above that.
I think Suha said it best with "No please don't say Max, everyone! It's very obvious that any feeling Liesel and Max might harbor for each other is simple sibling-like affection. Don't scar me please :D"
well said Suha
Second of all I hear that someone asked MZ if Leisel ended up with Rudy in heaven and he said something like "Just because you asked that, yes"
eeee! adorable!

Bayan Ala'abed I wanted it to be Max and wished for it even, but I know it's not Max. It is some other random guy. I don't think she'd be able to live with a person who she looks at everyday and remembers her horrifying past, it's too much to bear. And Max & Liesel's relationship was a brother-sister kind.

message 47: by Suha (last edited Feb 06, 2013 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suha Caroline wrote: "First off, I completely disagree with Max, their relationship in my opinion is purely friendship brought together by hard times, and I would prefer not to think about anything above that.
I think ..."

Oh wow thank you! I'm only glad that there are people out there who don't romanticize everything they read/see/hear!
Oh and that was so very awesome. I just keep liking Mark Zusack more and more!

message 48: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Sarah wrote: "It is a good question Mary! Part of why it is such a great book is because of the way you can interpret the ending..that was probably the idea? That is a tricky one to pull off so convincingly and ..."

he did! i really want to read his other books, and thank you:D

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Bayan wrote: "I wanted it to be Max and wished for it even, but I know it's not Max. It is some other random guy. I don't think she'd be able to live with a person who she looks at everyday and remembers her hor..."

nice insight. that seems likely:)

message 50: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Caroline wrote: "First off, I completely disagree with Max, their relationship in my opinion is purely friendship brought together by hard times, and I would prefer not to think about anything above that.
I think ..."

hahaha yes! i agree also that not every male and female character have to become lovers. it seems more likley that she married a person we dont know of, but theres a part of me that thinks it could maybe have been max

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)