Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Hours

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by YorkshireSue (new)

YorkshireSue | 6 comments I realise it's an older movie but I have just watched it and was totally fascinated by it. I love movies which spur me to think and to further explore related topics, in this case Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and other writings by her. I've only read To the Lighthouse and then many many many moons ago. Anyone else seen The Hours? What did you think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched it with my mom. I don't really remember much of it, but my mom really liked it.

message 3: by Fenixbird (last edited Jan 20, 2008 05:28PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 14 comments YorkshireSue I enjoyed reading your comment about The Hours. I picked it up on a special a Blockbuster..along with several other movies. So it was rather a "find." I liked it! Hard to rah rah a movie so deep and contemplative. It truly depicted I feel the senselessness a woman can feel at the roles and labels cast upon her.

Why live your life in despair? Could that have been one of the messages?

When Julie rebakes her cake (all from scratch) so it can be "all perfect" I knew something was wrong! So many twists in that movie. How was the book??

Nicole Kidman's role was particularly original for her & she was quite believable I thought. I actually forgot it was her while I watched it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the film and thought it was one of the best translations from book to film ever. I was worried when I saw it as I had adored the book, but I think they pretty much pulled it off.

I HIGHLY recommend the book.

message 5: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) I will second Lisa on this -- both book and film were wonderful and so often films don't do the books justice -- not the case here.

If anyone has not read the book -- I'd recommend reading it and reading Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway right alongside -- you can find entire sections of The Hours which echo and correlate to sections in Woolf's book. It is a marvelous experience to read both.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments The thing that most struck me about this film (outside of Ed Harris' character's suicide) is the way Woolf killed herself: the commitment to an idea it takes to drown oneself in a stream - good god.

Great and moving movie. Kidman rightly deserved that Oscar.

message 7: by YorkshireSue (new)

YorkshireSue | 6 comments I've just started to read Mrs Dalloway and intend to read the novel The Hours right after it. In the extras on the dvd, Virginia Woolf's nephew (I think that's who he is) talks about her suicide decision and said that it must have been very difficult for her to not try to swim as she was actually a very good, strong swimmer.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) The Hours is one of my favorite movies, which is surprising since I watched it/read the book around the same time I was dealing with Post Partum Depression. I was so afraid I would be a mother like Laura Brown. I still think of those months years ago and just shudder.

As a mother, there are times I wish I could check myself into a hotel and just lie on the bed and read in peace and quiet. I really feel for this character even though I don't like her very much.

Kidman was good, but I thought Streep was even better. Kidman was allowed to do some real "acting" with her fake nose, but Streep's present day character was phenomenal.

OK, I'm going to admit that I didn't make the connection between the little boy and the artist. Pretty dumb, huh? I was shocked by his suicide. I guess I'm used to the big build up for scenes like these, but this one happened lickity split.

The scenes between the '50s mother and her son inside their house were tense. I kept waiting for her to do something awful to him.

message 9: by K (new)

K | 39 comments I often think about that thing Streep's character says about happiness - how you look forward and await and it. And then realise later that actually, that wishing time was happiness.

Its way more eloquent in the film!