CafeMom-The Book Club discussion

do you read more than one book at a time???

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments Does anyone else have more than one book going at a time? lol...I have 4 going right now and I keep jumping in and out of them when I need a change...I never used to read like this - I would start one book, finish it and then move to the next...I don't know why I am like this all of a sudden....maybe I am losing my ability to focus...lol....

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (pinkprincessmommy) | 20 comments This is how I have always read. 3-4 books going at one time. I don't know why, but I have a hard time with only one at a time.

I generally like to leave the books I am reading in different areas so that I can pick one up when I am doing different things.

I don't think it is a lack of focus, but a desire for more. lol

message 3: by Vee (new)

Vee (SummerVilla) | 3 comments I used to read one book at a time as well, but in the last year or so developed a habit of having several books going at the same time, for whatever I am doing at different times(audiobook while I drive to work, waiting at the dr's office, etc). I never saw it as an inability to focus, because reading this way takes more out of you by keeping the stories separate and picking up where you stopped. And I agree with Heather, I always want more...lol

message 4: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (splummer54) I always have 2 or 3 books going. I carry one in my car at all times, so if I get stuck somewhere I'll have something to read. And while at home I usually have 2 going. I guess it's because I want to get them read faster so I can go on to the next one. If that makes sense!! Take Care!!

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (dag57) | 28 comments Well, I am glad to see we all have the same reading habits - lol! I will now think of it as a desire to read as much as possible rather than a lack of focus...thanks you guys!!! oh, also...IS IT SPRING YET?!?!?!?!?!? : ))

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (pinkprincessmommy) | 20 comments I wish. I have had enough of this weather too!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 7 comments I usually read 2-3 books at a time. Usually just 2 though.

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cagefan23) | 6 comments I am kind of anal about finishing one book before I start another but once in a while I will read a 2nd book for a book club or something. But I hardly ever read more than 1.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 7 comments I don't usually have two going at once, but I was hanging out in the library waiting for my daughter's scout meeting to end. (I forgot my book so I could read more Thirteenth Tale) so I picked up Honeymoon by James Patterson while I was waiting. Now I am midway through Thirteenth Tale and 10 chapters into Honeymoon.

message 10: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn The first time I read more than one book was The Fiery Cross (Outlander book). It was so dull, but I read all the preceeding books in the series and felt compelled to read it. I did not, however, go on to read anymore in that series after that one. LOL

Now, from time to time, I will put a book down that drags, but part of a series, and read something else, then pick it back up again.

I read nonfiction, magazines, newspapers, etc, too. Does that count? LOL

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (Durgin19) | 1 comments Since I drive quite a ways to my work, I usually listen to one book on tape, and I read another at night and when my son naps. I really enjoy books on tape now that I've given them a chance. My only drawback is that I get attached to certain narrators, and I get a little disappointed if he/she doesn't narrate the next book in an author's series, i.e. The Dark Tower series.

message 12: by Ellenjsmellen (new)

Ellenjsmellen | 7 comments I try not to overlap on books, but depending on how "lazy" I am, I might have books spread out through the house and have 2 or 3 going at once.

message 13: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I am reading two right now and browsing through a third.I don't usually do it but want to read books I got from the library plus want to read a book for a bookclub.I am reading a fiction book and a non fiction book and browsing through a cookbook.

message 14: by samantha (new)

samantha (samstress) i always have several books going. at least two fiction which i read pretty regularly and a few non-fiction which i pick up less frequently. i like to keep it interesting.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (pixiesand) I usually read at least two at a time because I always keep one in the car to read.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I keep one in the car, one by my bed and I listen to one on CD.

message 17: by Suzie (new)

Suzie Most of the time, I'm reading two book at a time. This past month - I'm only focusing on one. Mostly because I'v been spending far too much time on Facebook and Myspace, lol.

message 18: by Jules (new)

Jules (slackerjules) | 1 comments Lately I've been reading two at a time one downstairs and one upstairs. This is just something I've started doing over the last couple of months. This way if one of the books is kinda slow I don't have to wait to finish it to start another book. However the two books I'm currently reading are both kinda slow so I started reading a third book.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna I usually read 2 books--one non-fiction and one fiction. Sometimes I read 3 if I am reading one that is short stories and I leave that one in the car, but usually I read a magazine in the car or do crosswords.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (MamaBecky) | 3 comments I read only a book at a time. It usually takes me about two days a book, three if its a bit longer. I tend to start and not do anything else until I stop. Even as I write this, I have the book in front of me to read between browsing pages or if my pc runs slowly. I dont think I could do multiple books, might confuse me.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wifethatprays) I only read more than one book at a time if one book is something I want to study or really soak in, or if it's very difficult reading for me (right now that'd be Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis). Sometimes if it's too serious, I need a little bit of levity so I pick up some fluff to read in between

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 5 comments I have read 2 or 3 books at a time..since I was very young. I guess,..its what Im in the mood for at the time.
Right now Im reading a Romance book, a cozy mystery book and a Christmas book.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan I've got 5 going right now only because of due dates at the library and not being able to renew them anymore!!