Chicks On Lit discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Mar 07, 2009 10:32AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Lolita (katerina)
and
The House of the Spirits (kelly jo)

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Wow, great books!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker This makes me happy because I'm already reading Lolita so I'll be ready to discuss it by May! Yay!

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments One good place to look is readinggroupguides.com Also what I try to do is take one of their questions to start with and then develop questions as we start to answer them. Then we the discussion seems to die down a bit I will take another one from there. Some people like to post all their questions at once; however, I prefer to do one at a time because I feel it furthers discussion more. But that is just my opinion

message 5: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I agree Meg, they have some good guides out there and the author website does too sometimes. I also like one question at a time because that allows for others to put their questions out there based on the first question and you never know where it is going to go.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Kelly Jo, readinggroupguides is a good site (as Meg mentioned above) - I've used their questions as a 'jumping off point' or guide to come up my own questions based on my own reactions to what I read. It's really not bad - check out the past book discussions to get a feel for what we've done and that should help you!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I'm so glad to see The House of the Spirits on there! I've had it for a while and it's been calling my name lately.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Me too! Can't wait to get into magical realism, I hope it is part of the book.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I am thrilled to see Lolita on the list! I think it has the best opening in literature.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am excited about The House of Spirits, I just ordered it through paperbackswap.

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I just ordered it from Paperbackswap

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker It makes me happy when the books we read are ones that I already own. And especially happy when it's a book that I've been struggling to get through, starting and stopping over and over for the past year.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments It does make it easier when everyone is reading the same book. It is like a private cult.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm proud to belong to the Chicks on Lit private cult.

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Me too

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think it's probably my favorite cult to belong to.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments We need a secret handshake.

message 18: by LinBee (new)

LinBee One of those handshakes where you spin in a circle and do a little jig, and maybe shout BOOKS! or READING! or CHEEP!

message 19: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Let's do it, develop the secret handshake. Then when we meet people, one day, when you least expect it, the secret shake will be returned and you will have met one of us in person.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker So we're to do this secret shake whenever we meet someone, on the off chance that they're one of us? Awesome.

But I'm thinking we should get t-shirts printed.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments LinBee wrote: "One of those handshakes where you spin in a circle and do a little jig, and maybe shout BOOKS! or READING! or CHEEP!"

Oh yes. There must be a jig with the handshake. ;)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is so funny! I love the secret handshake idea, lol! I'm definately a PROUD member of the Chicks on Lit cult! (insert evil laugh here!)

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I like the t-shirt idea. I mean, they're only around $7 or $8 to print and then maybe $3 to ship. We could have one person (probably whoever could find the cheapest printing place) collect the money beforehand and then send them out when they're done.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa New to the group--great book selections drew me in! I've had Lolita on my TBR list for a long time. My 17-yr-old son is actually reading it right now. "House Of Spirits" will give you a lot to talk about!

message 25: by Meg (last edited Mar 15, 2009 09:05AM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am not fond of the chicken dance either..

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I loathe the chicken dance. The music makes my skin crawl, which isn't helpful since my mom helps runs the Oktoberfest in town and I stay out there with her a lot.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think the shake should resemble the one from the new Parent Trap between Martin and Annie.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Ack, I agree no chicken dance similarities!

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I love the idea of t-shirts!

message 30: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I enjoy being part of CoL as well, if I'm feeling down, a thread like this always makes me smile. LOL on hating the chicken dance.

message 31: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Cindy wrote: "I love the idea of t-shirts! "
I like that idea too, especially with the trip to Charleston later this year.

message 32: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I've been following this. My husband is an animator (video games). I have asked him to make us a shirt logo and he said he would. My initial idea was of a girl sitting on a big pile of books reading. You could pick a blonde red or brunette. We could upload the picture to cafepress.com and people could order a shirt they want.
If anyone has any logo ideas or what the shirt should look like let me know. So brainstorm some ideas of what you would like on a shirt or what you would like it to say and Ill see what he can work into a design or two.

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments What about the logo of Chicks on Lit, with the chick in the big armchair? I still have that dream of real life meeting by chance.

message 34: by Angie (new)

Angie the shirt idea is so cute. I immediately picture the chicks from SLoane Tanen's Bitter with Baggage work, or that little studious chicken hawk that reports to Foghorn Leghorn.,....anyhow....could we do a take off of that obnxoius tire flap babe and have this gal be holding a book and wearing glasses?

message 35: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Tera that is such a good idea. The cool thing about cafepress is it could be a logo for on a coffee mug, apron or shirt. :)

message 36: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Aww! I would so buy that shirt! Cheep!

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Someone should design it.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think the chick should have a bow on her head.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker The bow should either be pink or red.

I'd buy the shirt and the coffee mug (if the mug was big enough)

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Pink for breast cancer awareness.

message 41: by Holli (new)

Holli The T shirt idea is wonderful...I love the idea of a logo that we can put on a shirt or coffee mug or notepad. I'm sure someone could set the sale of that stuff up on Etsy right?

message 42: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Etsy is for products that you make yourself. cafepress makes the products for you and you just order what you want. I'm pretty sure some of the chicks have an etsy store. I LOVE etsy.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments Love the t shirt idea!!! Mug is good too. I vote for the chick in the chair.

message 44: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh ok...I had no clue Tera!! Thanks for explaining that for me :)

message 45: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
My library doesn't carry Nefertiti if this book goes into reading circle can I sign up on that list. PBS doesnt have it either.

message 46: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Hi Tera,
I sent you a buddy list invitation on PBS. I think if you accept my invitation, then I can specify that I want to send my copy of Nefertiti to you when I am done with it (if you have it on your wish list). I am only about 1/3 of the way finished though, so won't be sending it out for probably another week. Would that work for you?

message 47: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
you rock the casbah! Ill check my PBS account and look for it. I swear there are still aspects of that site i dont know. May need you to walk me through it

message 48: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Okay got your invite. I NEVER knew that even existed. Ya learn something new everyday.

message 49: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Okie dokie! I see you have Nefertiti on your wish list, so now I am pretty sure that I can send it directly to you through there (at least I know when I put my arrow over the book on your wish list it says "post this book into the system for this member") I have never actually sent a book specifically to someone on PBS, but it says you can specify books be sent to people on your "buddy list" so we'll see! :o) Give me about a week to finish it then it's all yours.

message 50: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Oooo, let me know if that works. That would be another great way to exchange books and get credit for it. I love that idea.

« previous 1