The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Howl's Moving Castle ***possible Spoilers***

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Allison and I are reading Howl's this weekend. Anyone who wants to join us, please do!

(Fiona, wanna be the ringmaster?)

:)

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha, I just told Laura she should start a thread...and there already is one :)

message 3: by Allison (last edited Mar 07, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *****Sorta Spoiler, Chapter 3*********

Laura, you're probably ahead of me anyway...and this really isn't that big of a spoiler but...

For some reason, I was just charmed beyond reason when the fireplace in Howl's castle talked. I just cracked up, and it made my day.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I was in Ch. 3, but not up to that bit yet.

I've always wanted t write YA Fantasy, and books like this stoke my urge again.

And they should DEFINITELY stoke your urge little chicky-weed-Mc-Yellow-Pants. If you start writing now, you'll be like Ian McEwan. Well, very close.

I really like it! It's a great little find of a book, and just what I needed today!

message 5: by Allison (last edited Mar 07, 2009 12:24PM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) yup :) its fun. I'm going to maybe try to get to page 100 and then watch a movie or something.

I just hit page 50...which is Ch. 4, I believe.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) have you seen the movie, Fiona?

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) ****SPOILERS: MEETING HOWL********

ooo, I was surprised that he was young! Were you Laura? It certainly never occured to me that he might be the guy she met on the way to see her sister.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) ****SPOILERS: MEETING HOWL********

I thought that might be him when she met him on the street. I was wondering because they kind of made a big deal of her running into him, and he wanted to help her, so....the seed was planted.

Where are you Allison? I just started Ch. 5

I hope they fall in love!!!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I want them to fall in love too, Laura!

I'm somewhere in Chapter 6.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) *cackles*

I'll CATCH you my pretty....and your little dog too !

*flies away to read, flying monkeys in tow*

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) mkay...I'm about to start Chap. 8...its getting really good!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh I take it back. You are WAY too quick for me. Blasted little dog!

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) whatever! Its a quick read, we're both getting through it really fast :)

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) although, since you keep talking about my dog, look how cute she is!!

Photobucket

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hehe, thats my hubby in the background (he looks terrible, don't judge him by that)

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) she ;)

I know, she is always doing that, its adorable.

I'm quite silly about her.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I just hit Chapter 11! I like the story a lot!

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) :) I think I'm going to start Jane Eyre...just to prolong the book a bit, if I don't take a break I'll be finished before I know it.

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I want to marry him too! I don't even know why...he hasn't even done anything good, yet anyway.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) grr. I keep forgetting.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Cute dog Allison!

You can rest easy Fiona, this is def. a good book. I am really enjoying it. I actually don't want to read too fast, I go back and re-read certain sections, because I don't want it to end so fast.

YOu are a GOOD book-pusher!!

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) yeah she is...I'm really looking forward to the Roth trilogy now!

And for Laura I will have to read I Am The Messenger :)

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YAY!!

Really????

I SO love that book. It incorporates elements of the novel I will eventually write. It may never see the light of day in a bookstore but

I.will.do.it!

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) cool!

I would love to write a novel...but none of the buzzings in my head have organized themselves yet.

message 25: by Laura (last edited Mar 07, 2009 02:39PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh please, neither have mine, this has been going on since I was 8.

But the older I get, the more organized they get. I want to write an inspirational-fantasy-adventure that will be appropriate for all teens, including the Christian set (a club all of my nieces and nephews belong to), and when you're thru w/Messenger, I'll tell you the rest!

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) sounds like a plan...and a bribe ;)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) And if you're doing the Spring Challenge - it works as a book by an Aussie author!

*bribe bribe bribe*

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hehe...I'm not. I don't like being roped in, I never read things that I feel like I have to.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yeah, I agree, although I'm now doing the Shelf-A-Thon challenge, which kind of makes you stretch into genres you wouldn't otherwise read - for me that's good, cuz I tend to stay in my little boxes.

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) GR has broken me from that totally...I'm so glad I stumbled here :) People keep suggesting all kinds of books I never would have considered otherwise.

Like...Howl's! haha.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yea, exactly! And I never would have read Messenger w/out GR. Another YA. I'd have said - I'm too old for YA. BUT. NOT!

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Fiona, I've wanted to write forever - way before you were born! And yes, I should take my own advice.

Oh books like this are SO the kind of books I want to write!!

I didn't know there were sequels to Howls !!!

Great news !!!!!

Names, names!!!

Or is Dogsbody one of the sequels?

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) where are you in the book, Laura?

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I've been accosted by my husband to make dinner and so...only beg. of Ch. 8. :(

But I want to make it last !

(At the rate I read, I'll get my wish....)

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hehe...I keep trying to do other things...but then the book somehow ends up being open in my lap within a few minutes, just the same.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Where are you Allison?

He hardly ever asks me to cook during tx season, so I can't turn him down when he does. Besides, he went off to buy the ingredients, and I'm in sleeping clothes so.....crap. Now he's back! Time to eat.

:(

Allison, you're prob. more than 1/2 way thru by now huh?

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) just page 180...that isn't too much further than you, is it?

Enjoy your dinner :)

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) But you're reading the hardback and I'm reading the paperback so your 180 is prob my 250 or something. What chapter are you on? I'm on p. 153, toward the beg. of Chapter 8.

message 39: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) okay, well don't make fun of me...

Chapter 17, pg. 250

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) thats making fun of me :P

lol...I can't help it! I'm a freak.

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Well if you're a freak we all wanna be just like, how can you be a freak ????

We're jealous!

OMG and you're not even trying, watching JE and all....

One day I hope to aspire to your speedinesss...

message 42: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) nah, I stopped watching JE after about an hour, it was too boring compared with Howl's.

I'm watching The Horse Whisperer a little at a time, but I keep pausing it and reading a little...

its strange, but its workin' for me. hehe

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Is your husband out of town Allison? (Is he an auditor, by the way, a CPA or something like that? I know he works for a bank but...)

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) he audits car dealerships on behalf of banks, yeah.

he is on his way back from a trip, we live in KS and he had to drive to MO and fly to GA...he is getting back to MO tonight and then driving home tomorrow.

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) he has to travel about half the time, but when he isn't traveling he has like...2 hour days here in town, so he gets off really easy then.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) If I had a situation like that, I'd read lots more too. When my dau. goes away to college in the fall, that'll increase my reading too. Or maybe not, I may spend all my time texting or on Facebook keeping up w/her.

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha...my mom told me when I went off to college she was going to read and watch tv and do things for herself...

she embarked on a year long project of cleaning out the entire house/garage and organized everything...

I still make fun of her. :)

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That's prob. what my husband will do. He and my dau. are OCD. She's OCD neat/organized and he's OCD clean. I'm stuck w/them being an OCD reader hee hee

message 49: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) wow! A tornado randomly popped up in the next town, I can hear their sirens going off.

It hasn't even rained here yet!

Weather is so strange.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) It must be weird living in Kansas! I guess that gives "I'll GET you my pretty" a whole new meaning when Auntie Em and Toto are flying by your living room window.

« previous 1