This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1) This Present Darkness discussion

Amazing book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Penelyn Paña This book is amazing! It shows the important role of prayer in the lives of every christian. The story shows about the battle of angels and demons while we encounter our own battle. A must-read book for every christian.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I also thought this was an amazing book. It really opens your eyes to the way the angels and demons fight. I think that it is not something that most people really think about.

Autumn I find myself thinking more about it now that I have spent some time in the Bible. When I first read that our fight was with principalities I didn't quite get it but then reading this book it made me realize that there is another battle that is raging everyday. It was a fantastic read. I recommend this book to everyone.

Kissy Regan I too think completely differently about the way the spiritual realm works. It is more real to me after reading this book. Another good one is Peircing the Darkness - along the same lines. Truly amazing reads.

Lisa Grace One reason I started to write my series is I wanted teens to realize there is a spiritual battle on for their souls, and the real supernatural world doesn't contain vampires or werewolves. There is a tendency to lump all the supernatural into mythology which is fairytales. I find this philosophy very dangerous.

Dana It made me see people who society usually sees as horrible people in a new way. It helped me see that there is hope for everyone and who am I judge what they are fighting. It did open my eyes to how angels and demons fight for us.

Should I read the second one?

Lisa Wadsworth This book really opened my eyes up to the reality of the spiritial war going on all around me at all times. Makes you really stop and think about your actions and why you acted that way...

message 8: by Luna (new)

Luna Martin I really love this book too. I read that scientists know about ten different dimensions even though we mostly live in three or four. It's something I keep in mind reading the Bible and thinking about how God acts outside of time. So I'm inclined to be attracted to scriptures that seem to indicate something more than what they directly imply (like how scriptures can be historic and prophetic).

This is such a good book because it gives me something to visualize when I'm thinking about the subject and in confirms my own thoughts on how extensive these battles are always going on around us. We really are like pawns on a chess board and the only thing we really choose is whose side we will be on. And not choosing is still a choice. This book shows how people can be used for evil and not even realize they made the choice against God. It's also really hopeful and comforting thinking that angels are watching over us and that they have personalities. Daniel shows us that our prayers even affect the angels.

The second book is very good too and you should definitely read it. FYI: They are also available on audible.com.

Torie Such a great book, but I don't plan on reading the sequels.

Aerykah Such a great book! And a great author! Those who haven't read the 2nd book really should, it's just as good as the 1st. I think I've read the set about 5 times in the last 5-6 years.

Joana This book is one of the greatest I've ever come across and this one and the second one are by far, my favourite books ever. Peretti really opened my eyes to spiritual warfare and quality Christian fiction all in one go!

Louetta Powell This book served to remind me just how real spiritual warfare is and how we are constantly engaged in it whether we realize it or not. This is a book worth reading again and again.

Idela This is one of my favorite books. Although written fiction, I believe some of what is written really happens.

message 14: by Jeff (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeff O'Brien This book depicted any religion or philosophy that does not place Christ as it's object of worship as Satanism. It brought forth a very narrow-minded and Xenophobic message that was, for lack of a better term, ugly. It really spewed a lot of hatred towards Buddhists and Eastern Mystics and other groups that actually promote love and coexistence. I found it offensive and hateful and the exact opposite of Christ's message.

Karen Jeff wrote: "This book depicted any religion or philosophy that does not place Christ as it's object of worship as Satanism. It brought forth a very narrow-minded and Xenophobic message that was, for lack of a..."

Did not the Lord say he hates ever false way? I am choosing how he thinks about it. awesome book. I cut my teeth on it.

Christina North Joana wrote: "This book is one of the greatest I've ever come across and this one and the second one are by far, my favourite books ever. Peretti really opened my eyes to spiritual warfare and quality Christian ..."

I read this about sixteen years ago, I think. It's still stands as my all time favorite book.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhh. I'm sorry I haven't been here to comment (I think this is the discussion that I started a while ago) but for some reason I wasn't receiving notices in my email that there were comments being made/given.
I appreciate all of you participating.

This is definitely a great book - as is the other that I have read in this set. They're both eye-opening stories that "held me captivated" until I had completed them.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Idela wrote: "This is one of my favorite books. Although written fiction, I believe some of what is written really happens."

What is portrayed in this book definitely happens in real life. That's why we need to help each other, defend each other, and fight for each other every step of the way!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kissy wrote: "I too think completely differently about the way the spiritual realm works. It is more real to me after reading this book. Another good one is Peircing the Darkness - along the same lines. Truly am..."

Piercing the Darkness is the sequal, I think. I'm actually not too sure.

Karen Kendra wrote: "Idela wrote: "This is one of my favorite books. Although written fiction, I believe some of what is written really happens."

What is portrayed in this book definitely happens in real life. That..."

Agree.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Mr Peretti sure did a lot of researching in order to write this book. I was impressed with what I read, and I've been a Christian since I was 12! WOW> WAY TO GO, FRANK E. PERETTI!!

Karen Kendra wrote: "Mr Peretti sure did a lot of researching in order to write this book. I was impressed with what I read, and I've been a Christian since I was 12! WOW> WAY TO GO, FRANK E. PERETTI!!"

:)

Chris Ledoux Jeff wrote: "This book depicted any religion or philosophy that does not place Christ as it's object of worship as Satanism. It brought forth a very narrow-minded and Xenophobic message that was, for lack of a..."

Jeff, just a clarification to either agree or disagree with. Jesus said that the only way to the father (God) was through him. So either he was correct or he was a madman. When other religions say that Christ was a great man or prophet they forget this part of his teaching which was the most profound part. So,either he is correct in what he said or he is a false prophet and crazy but you do have to choose which you believe. And the book is a work of fiction but does lean on the authors own understanding of his beliefs in Christianity, if there is any hatred spewed it is towards lies that consume and confuse people not towards those people who he believes deceived.

message 24: by Jeff (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeff O'Brien No interest in theological debate, at least not in this type of forum. Just shared my thoughts on the book which happened to be negative. Carry on.

Chris Ledoux Jeff wrote: "No interest in theological debate, at least not in this type of forum. Just shared my thoughts on the book which happened to be negative. Carry on."

Jeff, I agree, this is not the forum for religious debate, rather a place to share our love of reading, I just wanted all the facts to be there relative to the discussion.

message 26: by Jeff (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeff O'Brien I'll give the author his due. He is an incredible writer. I've also read Monster, The Visitation and The Oath. He surely knows how to make a reader keep turning pages and keep even someone on the farthest opposite side of the spectrum, like myself, interested in what happens at the end.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The 2 books in this set (that I am aware of, there may be more) are superbly written. Frank E. Perretti does a wonderful job.

Jeanie I rate this as one of my "best" books>>>>>however, if you liked this one, you need to read The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. Excellent!

Alana I love pretty much all of Peretti's books, although just like Dan Brown, keeping in mind that they are, indeed, fiction. It's a wonderful use of one's on faith to tell a story that is beyond what we can see or hear. The only thing I didn't like was the implication that the only thing that wins the spiritual battles is prayer; it seems to me that angels battle harder when the faith of the believers is tested and they are weak, not necessarily when they are strong, because that's when they need it the most. But I loved the stories and the spiritual implications and liked The Oath and Monster probably the best of all of his books. Considering his troubled childhood he does a remarkable job of bringing light into the world to make something good of it rather than wallowing in despair of his own losses.

message 30: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Crawford I, too, love this book. It's been several years since I read it, but it's really stuck with me. Especially the glimpse into how demons and angels duke it out every day. A wonderful and insightful read.

message 31: by Anca.T (last edited Jul 07, 2012 02:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anca.T My husband bought me this book; I loved it! I really liked the contrast between good and evil and the metaphors were mindblowing! I think this book really brings home the concept of angels protecting us, as we go about our daily business and I highly recommend it.

message 32: by Jen (last edited Jul 14, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Gentry These books by Frank Peretti changed my life I first read both of them more than ten years ago and have since read them over and over. I have written a kind of fan-fiction novel based on these two books. I am hoping to have it posted as an e-book by the end of August. My book is currently being edited.
But aside from that these two books "This Present Darkness and Out of the Darkness" were very powerful to me and Like I said they have changed how I view the power of prayer and how it works to change peoples lives in the spiritual realm. I must say these are my most favorite books in all the books I have ever read.

message 33: by Militza (last edited Jul 14, 2012 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Militza I really enjoyed this book, i couldn't put it down. I recommend this book to everyone. This book tesches you that through prayer you can conquer anything. You just have to have faith. Mr. Peretti portraits the angels as weak with the lack of prayer, but I interepreted that not as a weakness on the angels. It meant that the peoole where loosing faith. (This is my opinion/interpretation of it) Of course God gave us the great gift of free will, and prayer as our way to communicate with him. The angels are not allowed to intervine unless we ask. Therefore, in order to receive deliverance we need to exercise our free will, and to do that wecneed to pray from our hearts and trust that it will be done. However, thecgreater the attact the more prayer support we need.

Even though this is a work of fiction, the spiritual battle with this unseen world is very real. I totally agree with Jewelsy's comment.

We need to pray, not only for ourselvs but for others, christiansand nonchristians as well.

message 34: by Suzi (last edited Jul 30, 2012 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzi Faith most books that take the chalenge of creating a paralel between the physical and the spiritual often blurr the line and become confusing but this book kept that distinction and was easy to understand. the book also unlike many books of its kind kept to what the scripture states about the apearence of spirit beings and the roles and influences they have. awesome work a book you read over and over again. i have read the series 3 or 4 times in two years and want to read it again. a thrilling read that you find hard to put down.

message 35: by Walrus (last edited Dec 19, 2012 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Walrus Denise wrote: "I really love this book too. I read that scientists know about ten different dimensions even though we mostly live in three or four. It's something I keep in mind reading the Bible and thinking abo..."

This book shows how people can be used for evil and not even realize they made the choice against God.

If you can find a much nicer way to say this emboldened sentence, then I would say put it on a Christmas card and send it to Newtown, Conneticut.

Jason Tesar Incarnation (Wandering Stars, #1) by Jason Tesar
Incarnation

The imagery of Frank's "darkness" books were a huge inspiration to my imagination as a child and to my writing as an adult.

Starting this Friday (3/8) and continuing through the following Tuesday (3/12), my novel Incarnation will be free on Amazon. If you'd like to get your hands on a highly-rated Amazon bestseller without spending money, this is your opportunity, just click on the link above. And if you know anyone who'd be interested, please tell them about this FREE offer.

Here's a description to whet your appetite.

Since the ages before time was measured, the angelic races have existed. Unseen by our eyes, they move through creation, shaping our world, sustaining our existence, and battling demonic hordes. But the war is changing; the battle lines are expanding into new frontiers and the next epoch is emerging.

Seven hundred years after the first humans were exiled from their home, their descendants have pushed eastward into a prehistoric wilderness. In a land shrouded by mist and superstition, primitive tribes struggle to establish new civilizations, unaware that their world is about to change forever.

Weary from unceasing conflict, Sariel—legendary warrior of the Myndarym—crosses into the Temporal Realm in search of the only one who can bring him peace. But he is not the first; others have already begun their inhabitation. As the dominance of their kingdom spreads, threatening to engulf all of humanity, Sariel finds himself standing between his own kind and the one he loves and must embrace the life he abandoned in order to secure her freedom.

In this riveting prequel to the Amazon bestselling Awakened series, Jason Tesar sets in motion a sweeping fantasy epic birthed at the very foundations of humanity when our prehistoric world collided with supernatural forces, spawning an age of mythological creatures and heroes.

Happy Reading!

-Jason Tesar

Evangheline Farcas When I turned my life to Jesus and also started reading Christian fiction, this was the first book I read, I will always remember the clear battle between good and evil that Frank Peretti presented. Loved it! It has also served as a constant inspiration for my current writing of fiction. Higly recommend it!

Darrell Jolley I thought this was a good forum to ask a long nagging question: with all the books turning to movies, the upsurge of Christian movies, and especially the technological advances today compared to when this great book was written, does anyone know why these do not make it to film?

Karen One of the first books I read as a new Christian as others mentioned. Extremely helpful to start out with it on the new path. I want to read it again.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Horne I read this book years ago and I still think about those books and recommend them. I have often wondered as well why they were never made into movies.

Karen Lisa wrote: "I read this book years ago and I still think about those books and recommend them. I have often wondered as well why they were never made into movies."

Make an awesome movie if they kept to the story in a well manner.

message 42: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Archer This was one of the 1st books I read as a Christian as well, and it is excellent. I have recommended it many times and the Lord used in my early walk with Him to help me see.

For those who like This Present Darkness, I am quite confident you will thoroughly enjoy my Christ-exalting book: THE CURSE OF THE RODAIN. It is only $2.99 to download and read today.
Parallels between the books are surely there, but is more like Lord of the Rings meets Jesus, plus there is a strong element of This Present Darkness.

THE CURSE OF THE RODAIN is available as an eBook right now on Amazon.com or on Apple iTunes. It is the 1st in a trilogy with the 2nd book coming this year.

I am including a few notes of praise for it from recent 5 star reviews simply because if someone does not know the author, as once Frank Peretti was unknown before this book, they can have a hard time discerning whether it is worthy of their time, so here you go:

"This book has by far been the best book I have ever read. I normally read quite a few books and they all have something missing. I'm not really sure what that something is it's hard to explain but I never ended a book feeling satisfied. Well this book not only made me really satisfied at the end but it kept me begging for more. There were some points in this book where I will start on a chapter and 3 hours later be like woah! It's been 3 hours?!"

"Story lines are extremely important in a fantasy novel and 'THE CURSE OF THE RODAIN' delivers at a fever pitch. This particular story line is entertaining and captivating and encourages the reader to continue on; the story really gets amazing and doesn't let up around chapter 5. The language used to tell the story is accurate and helps to tell the story before you; some of the descriptions of the setting almost rival that of Tolkien in detail and magic. A certain floating city in the sky comes to mind, an image that will stick with me for some time. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a fantasy novel that won't bore and moves at a relentless pace."

Again, THE CURSE OF THE RODAIN is only $2.99 to download on Apple or Amazon for iPad/Kindle/PC

message 43: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Horne Sounds great I will check it out

message 44: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark I couldn't put it down. I took it to work and volunteered to take a project babysitting a computer program that ran for hours. It's a page-turner. There is also an audio version read by the author. I recommend the written version and then listening to the author (very entertaining).

message 45: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Archer Thanks, Lisa, that's great! I hope you're satisfied with it and that the Lord uses The Curse of the Rodain to minister to you in some way :)

message 46: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Noakes This book has impacted my change of career studies in college. I recently have decided to go back to school 35 years after high school. My original plan was to become a health informations tech, but while reading this I received what I believe to be "A Message". In my early adult years I was a meth addict for approximately 4 years. My addiction was so bad that I was in jail and my kids in foster care. But I've been clean for 20 years and my kids are well adjusted and we are all very close. But to get back to the reason for this review...When Pastor Hank was walking through the town (in beginning of book, pg 71) wondering why the people of Ashton couldn't see what was going on, he asked the Lord what more could he do to open their eyes. HE said, PRAY FOR THEM AND KEEP THEM IN YOUR HEART! That's when I got my message. I was being told to do something with my past experience of drug abuse. So, I'm switching majors and going to study to become a drug addiction counselor, working with young mothers who have lost their kids due to drugs. That's why this book, from now on, shall be at the top of my influencing my life book list.

message 47: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Scott This is my favorite book. Also the book that sold me on Christian fiction

Cindy Pye This was the first of his books that I read. Though it is fiction, it is based on the Bible. This book served to open my eyes to a better understanding of the spiritual warfare going on around us all the time, and the power God has provided on our behalf through his angels. They are His agents to do His bidding to protect and minister us who belong to God through Jesus. I saw a whole deeper, broader view of this through this, and all of Frank Peretti's books. It has made many parts of scripture easier to grasp for me.

message 49: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Scott Autumn wrote: "I find myself thinking more about it now that I have spent some time in the Bible. When I first read that our fight was with principalities I didn't quite get it but then reading this book it made ..."

I agree 100% this book really gives a great word picture to the spiritual battles.

Daniel Torie wrote: "Such a great book, but I don't plan on reading the sequels."

There is technically one other sequel.
Piercing the Darkness.
It's just as action packed and thought provoking (in other ways than the first one) but if it's better or not is up to debate.

« previous 1